Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Build the Bismarck - a "Hachett" job?  (Read 1278779 times)

tjilpi

Re: Build the Bismarck - a "Hachett" job?
« Reply #825 on: November 22, 2007, 12:41:33 am »

Addressed mainly to the Aussies in the crew, the only truly waterproof PVA I can find is 'Great Planes' Aliphatic Resin Glue, this dries 'clear-ish' with a yellow tint. Does anyone have a better choice?
Cheers
Oz

jock

• Shipmate
  • It ain't a hobby if you have to Hurry
« Reply #826 on: November 22, 2007, 01:47:12 am »

I'm using vice grip a waterproof pva.
Jock
Jock

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #827 on: November 22, 2007, 09:48:07 pm »

Oz, I always use Aquadhere Exterior, which claims to be waterproof. So far I have not had any problems, but I always coat the finished model with fibreglass resin before painting, which certainly keeps water out.
Peter.

tjilpi

« Reply #828 on: November 23, 2007, 08:44:04 am »

Just wanted to say to Martin - "Brilliant effort mate!". Just like being there really ... but I can't see how you got ALL that sanding (pre issue 11) done in one frame?! I mean really, shouldn't it be sanding; entries 1 to 26?
Cheers
Oz

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #829 on: November 23, 2007, 09:08:55 am »

>>:-(   Sanding makes me angry!   >>:-(     
Don't ask me for anything after a length hull sanding session!   >:(

And on top of that the 2nd layer of planking arrived this week....  :'(

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tjilpi

« Reply #830 on: November 26, 2007, 09:54:03 pm »

G'day all (or as my PTI used to say after the 5km run in kit "Are we having fun yet?"),
On motors and setup, does anyone know at what issue Hatchett say "Ok, drop the motors in"? or when and where to fit the r/c? or do those instructions come with the package of props,tubes and motors?

For those that apt for Marki's motors, have you thought of the electronics to go with them yet?
Cheers
Oz

mark_1984

« Reply #831 on: November 27, 2007, 02:32:55 am »

I think fitting instructions come with the RC kit, which should be delivered about the same time as issue 58.
I understand that the prop shafts are 6mm tubes, 4mm shafts.  The smart money would be on sanding out the cut outs in the frames before planking the hull.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #832 on: November 27, 2007, 09:01:38 am »

I'm going for a straightforward electronics setup;
2 small speed controllers
(Mtronics MicroVIPER Marine10),
4 to 6 channel receiver,
possibly a rudder / motor mixer,
possibly rotating turrets!  O0

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Stavros

« Reply #833 on: November 27, 2007, 10:23:32 pm »

Martin are you slaking as no update on your build since the 17th of Nov tut tut tut >>:-(

Stavros

Cargo

« Reply #834 on: November 27, 2007, 10:25:24 pm »

And what about the rest of the puffer-build update on mayhem?  {-)

Stavros

« Reply #835 on: November 27, 2007, 10:46:35 pm »

Hasnt he finished that by now O0

Stavros

Wetwater

• Full Mayhemer
  • My mind often wanders. Once it left completely.
« Reply #836 on: November 27, 2007, 10:56:00 pm »

Don't get Martin started on puffers.  He'll never stop.   ::)   :D   {-)
Alan.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #837 on: November 28, 2007, 12:29:33 am »

Started the superstructure last week but not had time to post the updates just yet.
The upper work are a series of nice little well thought out kits....

Down below

« Reply #838 on: November 28, 2007, 08:18:24 am »

It appears Hachette have a new partwork series on there hands in time for as Christmas TV launch

Anyone fancy planking this {-) {-) {-)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=187471

djrobbo

« Reply #839 on: November 28, 2007, 09:55:51 am »

Surely that should be in the steam section :D :D :D

Charles Nicholas

Build the Bismarck
« Reply #840 on: November 29, 2007, 01:04:17 am »

Can someone tell me why Hachette only send out 4 issues per month?  It does make a sensible idea if they send out 10 issues per month and this will reduce the time building the boat

Down below

« Reply #841 on: November 29, 2007, 09:03:57 am »

The concept is sold on the basis of it being a weekly series at an affordable amount, ie you get 1 mag per week via the newsagent or if you subscribe like you say its 4 mags every 4 weeks.

If you were sent 10 mags every 4 weeks yes the build would be much faster but do you really want a bill of £49.90 every 4 weeks?

Philipsparker

« Reply #842 on: November 29, 2007, 08:23:38 pm »

You could built it quicker still if they sent out everything in one box - I can't understand why no-one has thought of that before...

Seriously though, my Dad's building it and the rate the packs come out means he can keep on top of the model easily so the model makes steady progress which he is really enjoying. He has a Clyde Puffer on the shelf which has been there for years. Getting all the bits in one go threw him 'cos there are such a lot of them. The model will get built one day but it's much harder to work out where everything goes. The Bismark has really explicit instructions so even for someone who has built as many models as he has it's a much more user friendly way to get a battleship.

Phil
http://philsworkbench.blogspot.com/

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #843 on: December 07, 2007, 10:29:12 pm »

My Build updated - Here.           

Cheers,
Marin

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #844 on: December 07, 2007, 10:46:57 pm »

Looks good but, HOW DO YOU WORK SO NEAT ! >>:-(  was the mouse any help ? when do the motors go in .

Peter

tjilpi

« Reply #845 on: December 07, 2007, 10:49:00 pm »

G'day Martin,
Just a query here, if the deck has a gentle curve, being higher fore and aft, will there be a problem if the superstructure has been put together on what looks like a flat table?
Cheers
Oz

Down below

« Reply #846 on: December 10, 2007, 08:17:28 am »

Yes, very likely as the super wont then sit flat on the deck which is why the instructions tell you to set the super out on the deck whilst constructing its base ;)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #847 on: December 10, 2007, 09:07:29 am »

So far mine is turning out to be a fairly flat deck, i.e.. it sits on the hull and worktop without any notable gaps or bow. The deck may well take on a bow when finally fixed / glued down but that can easily be induced by fixing sandpaper to the deck and "correcting" the superstructure accordingly!

As I'm building up a kit of parts to be amalgamated at the last possible instance, I'll not be fitting the decks, motors, rudders or super structure until I have to and then each part can be 'adjusted' for the best possible fit.

Martin  :D

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #848 on: December 10, 2007, 06:40:45 pm »

Look how easy it is to build!   -    http://youtube.com/watch?v=PX5H0rhqYw0

Here's a model at the same stage of construction as mine!    -   http://youtube.com/watch?v=vQ9Z6nDI_hk&feature=related

slewis

« Reply #849 on: December 10, 2007, 11:15:30 pm »

I am far happier with the building, problem solving of a model than sailing them. In fact after a couple of times sailing and checking that the model does what I intended it to do I loose interest in it and either sell it or burn it and start again on a new project!!

I am the same . My other love is Rc planes and for the last 3 years I have been solving various issues with building a large scale Fairey Gannet . It involves a 3 part folding wing and contra rotating props , not mentioning the Fairey flap system which is a work of art in itself !
I fully intend that this model (106" wingspan) will actually work as per the original and fly . But I dont have the qualifications to fly it myself . I know people who will fly it for me and I will be happy if it does just the one flight , the fun part for me has been the design work and the knowledge that I actually designed and built all of the systems needed for it to work properly  O0
I expect that it will take me another 2 years to actually build the thing now that I have finalised all the parts (I have built 5 wings so far) and am getting the final bits laser cut when I get finished redrawing the plans .

Moral is   take your time  get it right and sod the expense   its a FUN hobby after all and there is NO time limit on anything you do for fun  O0 ;) :) :) :) :)

Shane
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... 57   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.