Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Build the Bismarck - a "Hachett" job?  (Read 1278985 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Build the Bismarck - a "Hachett" job?
« Reply #875 on: January 02, 2008, 02:06:14 pm »

NO, no, no! It one on ebay is NOT mine!
I'm just monitoring other who have given up on their builds and posting links here.  :-\
There have been quite a few appearing on the German ebay site.

Here's Mine: http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4024.msg74218#msg74218
My next stage is the 2nd stage planking..... I'm just trying to summon up enough courage and will power to start it!  :(

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Down below

« Reply #876 on: January 02, 2008, 04:59:41 pm »

Thought as much as the last photo in your forum build is way ahead of the one on ebay, its just how your post reads :D

2nd planking is a doddle and much easier to apply ;)

Down below

« Reply #877 on: January 10, 2008, 09:20:16 am »

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Down below

« Reply #879 on: January 10, 2008, 11:46:41 am »

Sellers wont be getting rich then {-)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #880 on: January 10, 2008, 01:17:54 pm »

Martin - Have you come across this?
http://modelwarshipsuk.informe.com/forum/build-the-bismarck-dt350.html

Daryl hates the build and has posted many negative comments on various sites and forums, which has seen him banned from a couple of them... including this one!  >:(
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

PaulHBell

« Reply #881 on: January 12, 2008, 12:58:24 pm »

I have only just found this forum and I must say I like it.

As for the Bismarck build I am up to issue 46 and yes I've had problems. But not big problems, they have all come out ok in the end.

I have just read the link above about Daryl's build. I know that Hachette/amati have had problems with the build, but they have replaced any parts that are wrong. And they are prepaired to replace that printed decks with planks (just get in contact with hachette, number in front of the magazine.)

As for a starter model, This is where hachette made there only massive mistake (my opinion).  It was obvious from issue 1, that it is not for anyone who has not built this type of model before.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #882 on: January 12, 2008, 01:34:01 pm »

As for a starter model, This is where hachette made there only massive mistake (my opinion).  It was obvious from issue 1, that it is not for anyone who has not built this type of model before.

Agreed!
Martin

Down below

« Reply #883 on: January 12, 2008, 02:05:57 pm »

Sorry Paul I dont and do agree if that makes sense :D

For a kit that was advertised as being suitable for the novice its likely to have put many off model ship building for good cos of the problems and its unsuitability for the novice.

Ok the problems can be overcome but is that really the objective of building this model?

Yes they are happy to replace any parts that are faulty which is what you would expect anyway, however a good example to use is the resin stern part 70, it arrives having the anchor pocket inaccurate so they say they will supply a redesigned part which they do, part 70A, thit time its is accurate re the anchor pocket but its also inaccurate cos the part is now bigger than it was in the first instance making it oversized :D

I wonder just how many will take up the offer of the deck planks as gluing 1000's of 1mm wide planks would be enough to drive anyone loopy, maybe they did this cos they knew not many would take up the offer which is why they likely supplied printed deck sheets which in my view actually looks better than any attempts to replicate this I have seen so far both in accuracy and appearance ::)

Dont get me wrong am happy in what I have managed to achieve to date but my build has certainly deviated from the instructions cos to put things right you have to deviate from the instructions, I should imagine there are a lot of frustrated novices out there >>:-(

One thing for sure is that I would not buy another partwork ship model again or an Amati kit for that matter if this model is an example of there kit standard.

I think many will end up with a half decent model be it static or RC, but there will also be many who wish they had not been tempted by there note of "easy to build".

Just glad the 2nd planking is over and done with as was loosing the will to live twice over :D

PaulHBell

« Reply #884 on: January 12, 2008, 02:21:09 pm »

I agree with what you have said about the kit being suitable for the novice, it is NOT. But my experience with model boats (and I have built a few) is that, kits like this i.e. scratch builds, always have problems. And as for the instructions included with the Bismarck, we should be lucky we have them, as boat kits that I have bought in the past have only ever had plans, no instructions.

My point was about 'daryl', he was always complaining about the problems with the build, but he never stated that Hachette was always happy to help and replace 'wrong' items. Why is he still building the model if he was unhappy from the start.

I will be using the printed decks, not planks. I have had enough with planking on this model, it's been driving me nuts. And I have had no fit problems with my resin parts. They have all been ok size wise.

Down below

« Reply #885 on: January 12, 2008, 02:50:34 pm »

That's the point its not supposed to be a scratch build model yet like you say it very much resembles one to which Daryl has voiced his frustrations over.

I suppose we are all entitled to our own opinion and think he's still building cos he's passed the point of no return, lets face it anyone who ditches the build has made an instant loss so it might be best to persevere in the hope that it gets better and if not its a lesson learned.

A very interesting build all the same ;)

PaulHBell

« Reply #886 on: January 12, 2008, 02:58:29 pm »

I agree, over £200 spent so far, with out radio gear money, it would be crazy to stop now. He has complained from issue 1 in other forums, so why did he carry on spending money on the mag, then complaine every week.

Down below

« Reply #887 on: January 12, 2008, 03:09:10 pm »

That I cant answer, but like I said maybe he continued in hope that it would get better and is now at the point of no return like all of us, maybe you should ask him that question yourself on the modelwarshipuk forum noted a few posts back.

Stavros

« Reply #888 on: January 17, 2008, 06:01:47 pm »

Has Martin given up ? Has his little man who inspires him gone on Holiday?Has he been given the sack,Has it been given a hatchet job for firewood,who knows,but there has been no postings on his build since Dec.

Stavros

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #889 on: January 17, 2008, 06:10:27 pm »

Winter blues....... and not looking forward to the 2nd layer planking  :(   
       Normal service will resume as soon as possible.  O0

mark_1984

« Reply #890 on: January 18, 2008, 09:37:44 am »

I should get on with the 2nd planking asap Martin..... it takes a bloomin age to do  :-\

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #891 on: January 18, 2008, 10:05:17 am »

I should get on with the 2nd planking asap Martin..... it takes a bloomin age to do  :-\

.... Ah, just what I need, a good bit of positive encouragement.  :-\
How is the Bismarck build going on the other sites?

Martin  ;)

PS. Of to Ally Pally Engineering show tomorrow.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #892 on: January 18, 2008, 11:16:45 am »

More photos we wont be seeing then.  ::)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #893 on: January 18, 2008, 01:41:22 pm »

how come you are allowed to take time off the project to trudge all the way to Ally Pally?
Slacker.
see you there, though god knows why i am going again this year.
Have fun
colin
grumpy old XXX

mark_1984

« Reply #894 on: January 19, 2008, 01:20:30 am »

.... Ah, just what I need, a good bit of positive encouragement.  :-\
How is the Bismarck build going on the other sites?

Martin  ;)

PS. Of to Ally Pally Engineering show tomorrow.

It's takin bloomin ages ;)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #895 on: January 19, 2008, 07:35:49 pm »

though god knows why i am going again this year.

I went to the Boat Show instead!

tjilpi

« Reply #896 on: January 21, 2008, 03:39:55 am »

Just dragging the group back to the Bismarck for awhile, down in Oz we're many issues behind. On one of the many webpages about the Hatchett Bismarck (and of course I can't remember which one) I saw that the first of the planks for the bow, rather than a smooth length from end to end they where recomending that it "should" be stepped out slighltly between two of the forrard frames.

I imagined it along the lines of ---------------------\_____ if looking at the starboard plank from the top (to a rough degree).

Has anyone else seen the page/done the mod?

Would this be to 'bell' or flair the planks to fit the resin part (hawse pipes etc)?

Just curious
Cheers
Oz

tjilpi

« Reply #897 on: January 21, 2008, 07:25:07 am »

All sorted, it was the upper hull planking as laid out in
http://www.buildthebismarck.co.uk/modelframe.htm - issue 22

Cheers
Oz

jinks8

« Reply #898 on: January 22, 2008, 02:10:19 am »

It went for £53.00 plus £20.00 p&p
[/quote] yes i got it can see y the gentleman got rid it is all in a box now all other bit's on order will build the Bismark's sister  later on just wanted the mag's as a lot of mine got ruined.  when grand sun split coffee on then and did not say a thing

Pointy

« Reply #899 on: January 25, 2008, 10:42:57 pm »

Looking at all that wood scares me let alone trying build a bismark out of it all. Way to go Martin, reckon your doing a fab job of it! O0
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 57   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 22 queries.