Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Build the Bismarck - a "Hachett" job?  (Read 1278865 times)

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
Re: Build the Bismarck - a "Hachett" job?
« Reply #925 on: April 09, 2008, 11:56:35 am »

tjilpi,

I agree with you mate, come on Martin grt the finger out we want to see what not to do next..................

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #926 on: April 09, 2008, 11:45:17 pm »

I have a spare issue 32 if anyone needs one before I send it back to Hachette.

Robert

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #927 on: April 16, 2008, 01:35:41 pm »

I think hey had Arado's on Bismarck..... well maybe not this particular one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qWik6OIz2w&feature=related

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

andi4x4

« Reply #928 on: April 19, 2008, 10:00:55 pm »

Oooops ! 

Too much drag from the floats maybe ? or just weak airframe around the motor ?

Second on still looks like it could do with bigger floats, mind.

Regards

Andi

ir3

« Reply #929 on: April 24, 2008, 08:43:19 pm »

A most impressive thread. I missed out on the Titanic build and it looks like I may miss out on this one also. I am located in the USA and it appears that I will probably not be able to get a subscription. If there is anyone that has a subscription but is not going to do the build, I would be interested. Also, if it is still possible to get a subscription in England, I would be happy to underwrite the subscription and arrange for bulk shipments as the copies are accumulated. Any help/information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Iran Ausley

Down below

« Reply #930 on: April 25, 2008, 05:56:45 pm »

The cost to send the kit to the USA even in batches might put it out of question, partwork magazines diont seem to exist in the USA though not sure why.

Best place might be to keep looking on eBay under various searches of Hachette & Bismarck and you might just be lucky to get hold of many of the magazines/parts for the series, though its not complete in the UK for another 79 weeks :D

Anyone seen this U Tube cliip, best  {-) I have had in ages!

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=-zHD2UdeHMI

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #931 on: April 25, 2008, 06:19:51 pm »

Anyone seen this U Tube clip, best  {-) I have had in ages!

Great video, a ski boat Bismarck!.... if only the real one had been that fast!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #932 on: April 26, 2008, 01:10:03 pm »

There are some speed boats that are not that fast.......... {-) {-)

Roy

nhp651

« Reply #933 on: April 26, 2008, 04:52:57 pm »

I was just waiting for it to turn turtle under full starboard, shucks, was I disappointed? :'(

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
« Reply #934 on: April 26, 2008, 05:54:35 pm »

Anyone seen this U Tube cliip, best  {-) I have had in ages!

I think this is the RTR 1/350 Bismarck from the same Chinese manufacturer as the "Smasher" destroyer (which is actually a Russian Sovremenny-class). Looks like they used the exact same motor and prop system  {-) - the "speedboat" effect looks silly enough on a 1/200 destroyer, but a 1/350 battleship is another matter entirely! I wonder what the scale speed is?

sonyah

« Reply #935 on: April 29, 2008, 09:38:40 am »

Part 100 was in mine.
Finished part 32 tonight, this superstructure is never ending
Jock
do you now any one that got part 28 just cant find it any were please help

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #936 on: April 29, 2008, 10:56:11 am »

Issue 28 or Part No. 28?

berth44

« Reply #937 on: May 02, 2008, 04:48:27 am »

G'day fellow builders, this is my first post on this site, so, first up, I was missing part 100 in issue 26. I just received a note along with parts 32-35 that I will receive this part along with the next 4, end of MAY.
I'd also like to ask you guys about the stern anchor moulding in 23, this is being replaced by a more 'scale part' in issue 35.( this is mentioned in MARKS UK' Build it site')  I didn't receive that part, according to my supplier 'Bissett Magazines' this part was only issued to the Brits, does this mean the Australian part is in fact correct?
Lastly, I'd just like to say that I've just completed up to the first hull planking and the decks, progress has been slow, now I have to find a way of heating my garage or it'll be 'dead stop' for the winter...Dave

jock

• Shipmate
  • It ain't a hobby if you have to Hurry
« Reply #938 on: May 02, 2008, 09:13:39 am »

I got the revise part here in Bendigo Vic and part 100 was OK as well. I got mine via a news agency not subscription.
Jim
Jock

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #939 on: May 02, 2008, 03:00:33 pm »

I have received all parts with nothing missing and all has gone together very well,
I am about half way through the second planking, which I thought was going to
be hard to do and tedious, but have found it very simple and quick to do, so far
I have both sides covered and the bilge keels installed, just have to nip across the
bottom of the hull, the two sides were completed in two nights or about 4 hours...........

Roy

berth44

« Reply #940 on: May 05, 2008, 06:20:35 am »

G'day to all the builders out there, and thank you for the 'Velcome', much appreciated!
As is my usual 'to do' here at work on a daily basis is to check my mail and get onto the' BISMARCK" sites to see what's going on, "Hmm,wonder if I've had a reply to my question?"
Always first on the list is 'Marks UK build it site' and there was the answer to my question re the 'Stern Moulding', and  'illustrations' as well!!. So, by compairing the first part in issue 23 with the 'replacement' in 35, it's easy to see that us here in OZ got the correct part, suppose that's one benefit of being out here in the 'Colonies', always last to know!!," mind you", when doing the 'TITANIC' I think very few of us new that the bow shape was wrong until it was too late and the thing was complete!! I was fortunate there in being able to purchase issues 1-60 for an unbelievable price off EBAY....40 dollars!!. That let me 'scrap' my half complete one , make 'new' frames for the bow, and while I was at it, get all the brass from 'FRED'S' in France to 'do away with' those awfull unrealistic' card parts, anyway that's another FORUM, another story!!.......Dave

berth44

« Reply #941 on: May 06, 2008, 05:10:30 am »

G'day, I decided to start on the second lot of planking (35) and for the first time have cause to complain.(I think!!) The strakes supplied are absolutely terrible, rubbish,total rubbish, they are thinner, narrower, and as rough as old guts!, by the time I sandpaper these down smooth for priming and painting ,I'll be back to the first layer!!! With a bit of hindsight here, perhaps I should have waited for the 2nd lot, used them for the 'first layer' of planking, and finished off with the first lot second?!!(cough!) At least they weren't too bad and gave a pretty good finish when sanded, I just can't imagine having to cover them up with such crap, but what can I do, use piles of filler perhaps???

Anybody out there with the same problem or has an opinion of sorts?? What I'd like to do is call up my supplier and 'unsubscribe' to parts 36/9/40/42, but I somehow believe I'll not be able to do that!! I'm sure that, with the further 60 bucks that it's going to cost me for a pile of firewood, I could to go to my local model shop and purchase enough half decent 'planks' to complete the 2nd lot, I might even have change left over for a couple of beers!!.......cheers, Dave

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #942 on: May 06, 2008, 01:43:06 pm »

I have finished both layers of planking on this model, and the timber that has been sent to me is perfect,
 sanded easily and smooth with very little effort, maybe there is more than one supplier of the wooden parts..

Roy

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #943 on: May 06, 2008, 08:09:11 pm »

I've completed both layers as well and attached all resin pieces and anticipate no problems with sanding the second layer. At least as long as the weather lasts. And then I'll begin the shiny brass adventure. :D

berth44

« Reply #944 on: May 07, 2008, 02:01:25 am »

Hello Roy,and everybody, mine are really crap, honest! I called up my 'supplier' and got onto 'customer care'. As per usual they were very understanding and a replacement part 35 is on it's way. It seems I was the only one who complained, so perhaps I've just been unlucky?, anyway, we'll soon find out!
As I have 'more' on the way, I tried an experiment, I 'doubled' up on the first row of planking for the 'Armour Belt,' stuck that down and sanded it, it came up fine! That bit worked 'OK' for me as I've done 'the belt' a wee bit different to the instructions, but obviously I can't keep on doing it that way!...Dave.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #945 on: May 07, 2008, 09:36:21 am »

Now that the 2nd layer of planking is going on, what are most people thinking as to how to get the final hull shape, ie. filing and sanding to correct profile?

Martin

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #946 on: May 07, 2008, 01:13:26 pm »

Martin,

Really the only profile we can work to is the stand that they sent,
unless you have received something that we have not yet, so from
that now that it is sanded it fits perfectly into the stand, this means
I have built it wrong as there is no room for any padding, or the stand is
crap which it is, but useful to hold the hull still..........

Roy

mark_1984

« Reply #947 on: May 07, 2008, 01:24:23 pm »

Sanding, filling and then more sanding for me.  I've also got a gooseneck cabinet scraper to do the inside curves ar the bow.

I'm going to keep the use of filler to a minimum.

Then of course, give the hull a light spray of primer and sand it all off.  That will show all the little imperfactions that remain  :-\

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #948 on: May 07, 2008, 02:08:18 pm »

Thanks guys, that's what I was planning to do .... nice to know I guessed right!  ::)

mark_1984

« Reply #949 on: May 07, 2008, 11:49:53 pm »

How's that planking coming on Martin ?  Are you going to treat us to some pictures ;)
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... 57   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.