Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: hughs fish fight  (Read 5541 times)

regiment

hughs fish fight
« on: January 13, 2011, 11:33:54 am »

i watched hughs fish fight program for the last two nights what a waste of good food dumped back into the sea do not know anything about fish but to throw back  food in to the sea is  madness how many people could it feed  eu  what a laugh still an educated man thought of that one so must be right  glad im thick

fatcat123

Re: hughs fish fight
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 11:50:16 am »

I couldn't agree more. It truely is a disgrace, infact disgrace is to little of a word for the matter.

The EU are a joke, why the hell can't people think before they act or impose rediculous rules and limits.

The entire fishing fleet here in Whitby, (all 4 boats of it) are either up for sale or very close to it, due to the limits due to be tightened up.

This country is a joke, I hate it with a passion.

Dan

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 01:40:15 pm »

The sooner we are out of the EEC madness the better, but that aint gonna happen, unless this, or any other of our governments grow a pair and stand up to the idiots that run the show. I did,nt vote for going in to the EEC, but I sure as hell would vote for getting out.
Bosun..... sadly ex, commercial fisherman.
bosunsmodelboats.com

Mr Andy

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 01:48:42 pm »

Before we leave the EU we need a government with the ball's to take us out, and the spineless one we have now will not do so. We once lived in a thriving country, now all we live in is the dose house of the world, where everyone comes for a free ride.

Andy.

fatcat123

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 02:54:26 pm »

I think things are too far gone so to speak, in regard to getting out of the EU totally, but as for adopting the Euro for our currency, I can't see many people voting in favour. I do hope it never gets to that stage.

I think each country should have a specialty and in doing so, it would in theory make money circle the globe. We make the best steel in the world and so when someone decided to teach the chinese how to make steel, they wonder why the likes of corus has closed etc..

We do need a government with a spine, and people in it who have the balls to speak up instead of following the shepherd. Immigration is a big subject which makes my blood boil. if they want to save money and what not, why not kick them out or atleast stop giving rediculously large money handouts to them to buy home furnishings, instead of "errrrr, lets scrap an aircraft carrier"

I voted for the current bunch purely because i have such hatred for labour. However, i disagree totally with the way they are going about things. Its too much too soon and i can honestly see the whole financial system falling on its backside again. The banker bonuses are a total joke, its all win win for them and the government should find a way of stopping this until the banks have paid back what they owe the country.

people should make a stand for this increase in taxes. Buy as little as possible, try not to buy fuel in particular. If enough people do it for long enough, it will change things.

I'd make a great politician and a bad one at the same time. I'm as straight as you can get, i speak my mind and don't care who i offend or upset.

Getting back onto the subject of fishing. I heard somewhere that we actually export most of our fish and buy other fish for more than what we sold ours for? If this is true, its yet another bonkers setup.

Naffed off Dan  >>:-(

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 03:51:45 pm »

http://www.grimsbyfishmarket.co.uk/frames/Prices.html

This speaks for itself
Grimsby once the greatest fishing port in the World
reduced to selling Icelandic and Faeroese fish caught in waters
we were chased away from thanks to the US wanting a base in the area

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 04:05:59 pm »

These biased media offerings do present a simplistic answer to very complex problems without pointing out the domino effect. The quick fix knee jerk reactions have been rife over the last fifty years, as has the degridation of work ethics in the UK.

Only thing the EU is guilty of is giving many a target to point at for causing all our ills.   %)

Regards  Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 04:21:11 pm »

If the Eu is so good.How come the auditors have for many years refused to sign off the Accounts? Corruption is rife. How many of us
even know the name of our euro mp? Let alone what they looks like or have met them. I cant remember when, if my mp ever held a
meeting. Possibly some one could justify the expense of alternating headquarters. Still thanks to them we have the euro toaster. a
device with standardised slots. John.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 07:01:06 pm »

If the Eu is so good

Where did I say that?

knoby

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 07:17:08 pm »

I read this thread with intrest, many here seem to blame the EU for a lot of things & suggest the UK would be better off out of it. In fact many threads on mayhem seem to suggest the same thing. A large proportion of the older members seem to implie that the UK was better off before we joined.
I am curious as to which decade it was the UK was better off?, I will admit that my knowledge of UK economic history is not brilliant, but its reasonable, & I struggle to recall any period of time when this country was in great shape economic wise. Perhaps some of the better informed members could clarify this for me?
thanks Glenn

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 08:08:57 pm »

The decade before  a quarter of the worlds Atlas was changing colour from red, and degenerated in quality when the last throes of Empire allowed us to sell poor quality goods to a guaranteed market.

Regards  Ian.

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 12:02:13 am »

Ian i was not in any way implying anything about your posting.Sorry if it seemed that way.Was just a way of having a go about the Eu. John.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 12:13:05 am »

No probs John, it's just that the general consensus is that everyone else is to blame for the countries woes and no one else has the spheroids to say "Yes, I've helped to contribute to the mess".

"The banks have done this!"

How many broken and bleeding bodies are strewn about due to those Not being forced to take a loan??

Regards  Ian.

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 10:13:03 am »

The original post on this thread, concened the utter waste and futility if dumping good fresh fish back into the sea. The reason for this is the European Fisheries Policy, of that there is no doubt. That policy has decimated the British fishing fleet to a point where it is virtually non existent, and we are now importing fish from other countries.The fish we are mostly exporting are things like, as an example, Cuttle, and Whelks, where there is a demand in Europe. The programe gives the veiws held by commercial fishermen that Cod stocks are not being depleted, these are the guys who work out in the fisheries and they know what they are talking about. If Eurpean Fishing Policy has been good in overall  terms for the  British Fishing Industry in any form, (and that is doubtfull ) then please state your case, but if the same policy has thrown good hard working men on the dole because some committee who have probably never set foot on a Trawler,or any other fishing vessel, has made the decision merely because of either out of date data or ignorance then that is not right. Can I suggest if anybody want to endorse the ridicolous act of having to throw back perfectly good healthy fish back into the sea while there are people in this country struggling, can you give your reasons, as far as this problem is concerned, it a fact that the EEC has had a major adverse effect in this once great industry, and a major adverse effect on the UK as a whole.
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 11:55:39 am »

"Well Officer, it was only 5mph OVER the speed limit!"

Sound similar to "I was only fishing for shrimps and the other stupid fish swam into the nets" ?

Whereas some have this idyllic vision of Salty Sam and Captain Birds eye being the jolly guys who go out in all weathers just so we can have a plate of fish and finerks should also realise that even sat in harbour, a fishing vessel COSTS. Wonder if the "Accidentally" caught fish were brought back to port would they then be given to the poor and needy? Get real.

I'm not inferring that all fishermen are crooks, but if everyone is playing the game, why do we have HMS's Navy allocating FPV's? Never heard of "Blinders" in the nets? Some of the fish we class as too small to keep are the preferred size for some of the Mediterraneans and how many of the Southern fishing vessels been re-registered as Spanish or Portuguese?

Relax the rules and there will always be "Ah yes, but . . . . ."

Also don't forget, "Charlie Cod" is a bottom and scavenging feeder so all the throw backs aren't waste.

Wonder if whatever nations boats  found to be in contravention of the rules were sunk on the spot, how long would it take everyone to bat on the same wicket??

Regards  Ian.

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2011, 01:20:18 pm »

Your first two comments  ( I was only over the 5mph limit, and I was only fishing for shrimps etc) seem to have no bearing on any of the other comments that have been posted by other people , if this is some ridiculous stab at humour, can you please explain and enlighten us all to the joke.
Of course fishing vessels cost even if they are tied up ashore, so what,s your point ?. Who in your words, have painted a picture of Salty Sam, and Captain Birds Eye, If you cant think of something to say relative to the thread, even if it is against the general concensus, why attempt to demean the very people who do this job of work with unfunny comments. Where has it been said that any bi - catch should be given away !!!, are you real... are you, reading the same thread as everybody else. The Navy,s fishery protection vessell is there to look over all fishermen from whatever country, be it Ireland, Spain, France Portugal, Britain, they check net sizes, quotas, etc also and if there are black fish aboard.
Boats have re registered as Spanish or whatever, because these other countries have a been allocated a different quota system than ours, thats  an economic move merely to survive.
And by your reckoning, seeing as that the Cod is a scavenger/predater, (by the way that goes for any other fish in the sea), it,s all right to throw perfectly good fish back over the side, because they are a food source, and other Cod cod will eat them!!!! and what if we then catch those other Cod, do we then throw them  back over the side for other fish to eat because we have reached our quota, I think you are talking utter nonesense. The original topic was about the ridicolous situation of throwing perfectly good fish over the side, If you cant see the madness in that, how can anybody take your comments seriously.
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

The long Build

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011, 01:29:09 pm »

Both The speed and fishing for shrimps made perfect sense to me.. :-)) :-))

Why is it that at the moment there seems to a phase of chastising posts on the forum at the moment ?..  It was because of this which then results in a comeback reply that leads to members leaving..  %% {:-{

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2011, 01:51:29 pm »

Unfortunately I did not get the 5mph quip. What I did get was the statement about Captain Birds Eye and Salty Sam, totally uncalled for and posted to inflame a situation and merely to invite posts that could be classed as argumentative.
I have lost an Uncle and 5 friends at sea, 4 of them in the same day, one has never been found, to have to read  stupid comments like Captain Birdseye and Salty Sam is upsetting and offensive.
If that is the way some people want to conduct themselves in what could have been a grown up and adult debate, then I think that this forum is not for me.
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

PMK

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2011, 04:47:25 pm »

...then I think that this forum is not for me.

Think of it this way...
It takes a lot a of nerve, a lot of guts and a lot of skill to go out into icy, choppy and dangerous waters in order to feed the nation with its fish supplies. In fact, trawlermen are right up there with fire fighters and such folk who put their neck on the line every day just in order to earn a crust.
You don't sound like a spineless office pencil neck type to me. You've obviously got a lot of guts, so are you gonna let one individual with a penchant for over-excessive use of crypticisms ruin your day?
Stay cool and true, my man. Far too many good members have already left just because of some half-baked comments from some half-baked no-marks.
For what it's worth, I'm dead sorry to hear that you lost some family and friends to the harsh seas.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2011, 05:33:23 pm »

Sorry Bosun but you are reading into my posting something that in no way was intended to besmirch the character of all our fishermen, I suggest you chill out and read what I rote, CAREFULLY.

The simile of the speed limit and that of fishing for something else should have been viewed in the context of my original posting, it's too easy to apply a knee jerk reaction. I was under the impression that we had a fishing quota system in operation that was supposed to preserve the fish stocks? Start bending the rules, however slightly, because . . . . whatever, and then new rules are broached and so it goes on.

Preservation seems to be working for Iceland? The fact that other members of the EC may not obey the rules doesn't mean there should be a free for all. You haven't commented on my suggestion to sink any perpetrators so this meets your approval??

Thanks forn your efforts to fan the flames PMK  :-))

Regards  Ian.

PMK

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2011, 05:58:55 pm »

Not sure what you mean by "forn".

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2011, 06:01:03 pm »

1) Total Allowable Catch ( TAC's ) and Quotas do NOT , and never will , work in a mixed fishery as our trawl fisheries for cod/haddock and prawns are , you cannot force fishermen to stop fishing just because 1 species has been caught when they still have other fish to catch as this would be unlawful under the EU's own laws and thus perfectly good fish HAVE to be thrown back into the sea dead. This does not stop fish being killed only stops them being landed , it is totally absurd and totally crazy to even attempt to defend the indefensible

2) Research : I worked as a fishery scientist for 9 years from 1990-1999 and I know from first hand experience that the various marine laboratories and ICES ( International Committee for the Exploration of the Seas , based in Copenhagen Denmark ) do not have a clue what they are doing nor do they really care. Most "science" is driven by political considerations and no scientist can be given a post a ICES without being "fully aware" of his/her own countries political masters views on conservation and the need "to be seen to be pro-actively conservationist"

3) Iceland : do not ever claim that they are anything other than reckless with stocks. Yes the Cod stock is healthy up there but consider the following. The Blue Whiting ( a pelagic fish found in fairly deep water in the Atlantic , caught and turned into fish meal and oil for the Salmon Farming industry ) fishery had up till 2 years ago an annual TAC of 1 million Tonnes. Iceland and the Faroes set themselves quotas far in excess of this figure leading to the EU having to all but stop fishing for Blue Whiting over the last 2 years and the fishery is now closed as the stock has completely collapsed. Iceland and the Faroes have set themselves 250,000t of Mackerel quota between themselves for this year and the likelihood is that they will catch more than that which means that our own fishermen will be put out of business along with all of the factories jobs gone and another healthy fish stock will be totally destroyed in the next 2 years.

4) Discards : whitefish discards will continue until the boats are given a set number of days ( keep it at this years levels , 120 days for whitefish boats and 200 for prawn trawlers ) , the nets made slightly larger and told to land everything they catch. Total fish catch ( called fishing mortality ) will not increase just the fish that have been dumped dead already will be landed instead of wasted.

I have lost too many friends to this industry over the years , fishing boats are forced to stay out and fish in storms because they cannot afford to loose a days fishing entitlement ( men have absolutely definitely died because of these stupid rules ) which need to change , the rules should be flexible to allow leeway when bad weather interrupts fishing
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2011, 06:39:07 pm »

Thanks forn your efforts to fan the flames PMK 

FOR  (Forgot to hit the spilechunk button forN the last line)

Waste is indefensible and nowhere am I trying to defend "The Rules" but I wonder what the repercussions are likely to be if the stupidity of the rules are abolished? We seem to be in a bit of a pickle at the moment because some other stupid rules were relaxed and ignored.

Regards  Ian.

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2011, 06:45:11 pm »

Sorry Ian but no rules have been relaxed at all , the rules have been getting tighter and tighter and tighter over the last 25 years to the point now that a lot of skippers are being forced out of the industry because of the threat of a £50,000 fine for being even slightly wrong in recording the amount of fish he has onboard ( tell me how you accurately measure the weight of fish to within 8% accuracy onboard a 20m fishing boat in the winter in a F8 ?? it is totally impossible as there are no weighing machines that can do the job or those that can cost over £8,000 which is beyond most boats ability to afford ).

The rules have never ever been relaxed , the EU doesn't do relaxation of rules only ever tighter and tighter control so I'm afraid you've not been well informed if someone has told you otherwise.

The paperwork that a Skipper has to comply with is complex and a total minefield where you can go out of business for not catching too much fish but for simply not fully understanding what the heck the EU wants recorded
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2011, 06:59:05 pm »

but I wonder what the repercussions are likely to be if the stupidity of the rules are abolished?

Says nothing about relaxing the EC ruling on fishing? But I'll bet you're going to tell us that Every fisherman obeys all the rules? Just like the fish, not ALL are caught in the net.

Regards  Ian.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.