Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: James Bond's 007 DB5 Model  (Read 7932 times)

fatcat123

James Bond's 007 DB5 Model
« on: January 13, 2011, 06:48:45 pm »

Hi,

Has anyone got an opinion on the 007 DB5 model now being sold as a magazine series?

Basically 85 weeks, heres the site - www.007db5.com

Is it worth it?

Dan

nhp651

Re: James Bond's 007 DB5 Model
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 06:52:46 pm »

at £585 for the full kit...........are you joking...........could buy a real classic for that price, lol.
maybe not a db5 but a decent little runner that would be at least worth the same after a couple of years, and not 20 quid on ebay..............!!!! %% %% %%

fatcat123

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 06:56:56 pm »

Yeah i see what ya saying.

It just has an appeal to it. These things are always expensive.

I'm torn between subscribing or not. Been trying to find reviews on it but the 2nd issue hasnt even been published yet so i guess theres nothing to review as such.

Dan

nhp651

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 07:01:34 pm »

dan....you'd be better buying a speedline tamar and getting grib to build it for ya.....worth a hell of a lot more in two years time too. lol.
neil.

fatcat123

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 07:04:35 pm »

Lol,

He's already doing my trent at the moment, I doubt he'll make me a tamar.

Dan

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 07:54:41 pm »

Forget the Aston Dan, it's not worth the money or the wait.

Tamar?? NEVER a Speedline one as the people building them still haven't got the correct instructions. :-X

Mike
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 07:56:53 pm »

I am fed up now of trying to get in touch with Adrian at Speedline for missing parts and instructions etc, definately turning into a semi scratch build... >:-o

Russ

nhp651

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 08:00:00 pm »

a man of your calibra doesn't need instructions mike,

fatcat123

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 08:09:08 pm »

True Neil, gribs knows the crack.

he's doing a fine job of the trent as you can see on my site or lifeboats 24/7.

When i was ordering bits for the trent from adrian, i found him to be a nightmare to get hold of and there was no organisation as such in regard to actually sending out the parts needed.

Grib will tell you the hassle it was to sort out the brass etchings as i delivered the kit to him mid trying to sort the correct ones myself.

I've learnt alot about modelling in the 3/4 models i've built in a small amount of time and my skills have drastically increased but i dont think i'd be able to build a speedline kit, although i do fancy a severn.

Atleast there are instructions with the tamar, unlike the trent and severn which are assisted scratch builds.

Not sure anyone knows but models by design actually make the hulls for adrian and he basically doubles the price on everything he pays for. I'm not going to go down the slagging off route here as its unfair but ive heard russells issue time after time.

nhp651

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 08:17:00 pm »

it's strange really, because i've had business with Adrian numerous times, and he has NEVER EVER let me down and not come through on promisses.
always had very good service from him.
got a trent and a severn at 1;12 with full fittings sets sitting on the shelf waiting to be built in the distant future as we speak.
they are top stuff though in my mind.
neil.

fatcat123

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 08:20:43 pm »

Yes they make outstanding models with plenty of room for bells and whistles (as grib is all to aware!).

Get em' off the shelf Neil and start them! Be great to see your build. Ive seen a few of your models and they are outstanding.

Dan

nhp651

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 08:24:53 pm »

still building the Clyde, and then i've got a 51' barnett and a 46' watson to buildf before the big stuff.......might be a while yet, lol <:( <:(

fatcat123

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 08:27:48 pm »

Ah yes, so you are.

be interesting to see yours and Mike's completed boats.

Dan

nhp651

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 08:39:16 pm »

hope to get them together later this year with a real one, lol......should be fun.

fatcat123

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 10:20:59 pm »

ive decided not to bother with the model. I'll get one on ebay in a few years  {-)

I'll put my money elsewhere i think. Ive read a few forums this evening regarding the model and people are umming and arghhing about it.

Thanks for pointing me into the light Neil!

Dan

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 10:25:59 pm »

hope to get them together later this year with a real one, lol......should be fun.

I have finally got my head around how the cabin/superstructure 'works' from the drawings and photos of the full size boat and it is being constructed at the moment as the one that came with the hull is wrong.

It looks an ugly beast but it's growing on me !!  :-))

Mike

True Lifeboat Nutter!!

fatcat123

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 10:29:04 pm »

ahh Mike you love it, this stuffs in your blood.

I can't wait to see the next update, its been a while.

The drawing of plans for the coble has begun this morning. I got some measurements tuesday but was too cold to stay around for too long.

Dan

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 06:42:10 am »

I've decided not to bother with the model. I'll get one on ebay in a few years  {-)

I'll put my money elsewhere i think. Ive read a few forums this evening regarding the model and people are umming and arghhing about it.

Thanks for pointing me into the light Neil!

Dan

Ive seen the first few issues as a mate is collecting them (he is a big bond and Aston fan). Looks like its straightforward to put together and not really much of a challenge compared to say the Victory, Bismarck, Flying Scotsman etc.
I suppose its all down to the buyer and your interest in the subject.  I'm doing the Victory partworks and I'm enjoying reading the magazines as are the kids.
Personally I like the idea of the partworks and know many other people who do too.
Its much easier to talk the wife into buying a subscription or put a magazine in the shopping trolley than it is to explain spending 500 quid on a box of wood! lol
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.