Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NormanB - Intro  (Read 1551 times)

NormanB

NormanB - Intro
« on: January 13, 2011, 10:40:49 pm »

Dear Forum Members
I  registered with your site today and have had a quick scamper around but only read about 5% of posts here. I thought it would only be polite if I introduce myself before I start asking questions (and for help!).  

OK. First off, I live in Horndean, which is about 7 miles north of Portsmouth which may be familiar to some of you as the home of the former Royal Navy. I served in the Royal Navy (34 years) joining as an Engine Room Artificer Apprentice and leaving as Lt Cdr. My final sea-going appointment was as the MEO of HMS Brilliant. I ‘retired’ from the RN in 2004 and now earn my beer coupons running a large medical practice –much to the surprise of friends, family and me!  

Next – the model making interest! A little while ago I was down at Canoe Lake in Southsea with my two year old son and got talking to a couple of the enthusiasts there and ended up buying a ‘work in progress’ HMS Amazon (Type 21). Well time has moved on, a couple of house moves lovingly packing and unpacking the model each time, which incidentally had seen zero progress made since original acquistion. My two year old son will be thirty one years old in March 2011   so this wee project is not only well overdue it is getting embarrassing. Fortunately my first grandchild (due in April) will be a granddaughter so I have got a bit of wiggle room in completing this project but I would like to complete it soonish! Fortunately and for the first time in my life – I now seem to have the time.

Turning to the model Type 21. It is a fibreglass kit which I suppose in work content is about 40-50% complete. The kit was originally supplied by Paridigm Models Limited of Bracknell (Berkshire). I have the advice note (but no drawings) and note the scale specification as 3/16”= 1 foot which if my arithmetic is correct equals 1:64. I note from my reading of the forum that this must be an unusual scale for model warships which seem to favour 1:72 or 1:96 (or thereabouts) – so figure I may be in some trouble sourcing readymade fittings and may have to construct from scratch. The stern tubes,shafts and rudders are installed and I have one decaperm motor, a ‘pompey speed controller’ and two shaft/motor couplings. So only one motor to source. The upperworks are bare, but include the funnel and basic masts (but without the intricate stuff), the MK 8 4.5 Turret and gun barrel – but not much else. Although I have the odd screen door (which I suppose I could use for moulding others). So clearly quite a sizeable amount of sourcing/manufacture and I would be grateful for any advice – I am an absolute novice at this stuff but quite good with my hands.

Does anyone know if the Portsmouth and District Model Powerboat Club is still a going concern?

I look forward to ‘chatting’ and hopefully meeting some of you guys. I am of course very hopeful you will all pile in with advice too.

I have recently joined the Modelwarshipsuk forum and have been fortunate to get in touch with Boatman (Chris) who has already built this model and has posted some inspirational pics for me - a hard act to follow though!
Oh and sorry for the rather long post!

Roadrunner

Re: NormanB - Intro
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 10:55:53 pm »

Welcome aboard, can't help you with your build but i can help you with the club search...

Clubs still going website link here...

http://www.portsmouthmodelboatclub.co.uk/

:-))

triumphjon

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 11:17:10 pm »

hi norman , not only is the old district and powerboat club still in existance but a newer club was formed some 25 years ago , the portsmouth model boat display team , www.pmbdt.co.uk . they have a speciality in grey models from all eras from the early sailing galleons upto the modern models , with a large following for ships of ww2 . sailing takes place most sunday afternoons at canoe lake portsmouth . they are a freindly bunch who dont bite !

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 11:44:57 pm »

Norman,
Firstly welcome, I am just down the road in Locks Heath.
If you search for the Hydrofibre Fittings thread you might be able to get some 1/64 fittings as they made the Type 21 at 1/64.
I have had several of these models at that scale and they sail superbly if ballasted correctly.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=15879.0

Bob
Officially a GOG.

bulldog1966

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 06:20:49 pm »

well come aboard
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 21 queries.