Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Planking  (Read 3387 times)

tony23

Planking
« on: January 14, 2011, 05:15:04 pm »

I'm about to purchase a Robbe Atlantis but want to apply a different planking wood to the deck than what comes with the kit does anybody know of a UK supplier for planking strips I have called Modellingtimbers today but he has stopped selling it.  <:(

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Planking
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 05:31:46 pm »

https://www.mantuamodel.co.uk/

http://www.jotika-ltd.com/Pages/1024768/index.htm

two companies I would recommend - sometimes bit expensive - but quality is what counts

aye

john e
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Brian Roberts

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 06:59:34 pm »

I'm about to purchase a Robbe Atlantis but want to apply a different planking wood to the deck than what comes with the kit does anybody know of a UK supplier for planking strips I have called Modellingtimbers today but he has stopped selling it.  <:(
[/qu
ote]
 Hi SCM

I too am building an Atlantis and sourced the timber from Jotika Calercraft, good quality and a reasonable price.

Brian

tony23

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 07:34:20 pm »

Hi Brian,
            Did you bother buying the decking wood pack, I believe it's about £60 on top of the kit price I'm thinking for a change from the rest to use a different wood.

a3nige

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 07:55:30 pm »

The wood kit is rubbish!
This is my Atlantis built by a guy in Solihull, not me! The planking is from Modelling timbers (no longer doing timber but lots of other stuff)
This is his blog, back to front but good.

http://ukatlantisbuilder.blogspot.com/

Nige
"You're a hard person to ignore, but well worth the effort !"

Brian Roberts

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 08:10:57 pm »

Hi Brian,
            Did you bother buying the decking wood pack, I believe it's about £60 on top of the kit price I'm thinking for a change from the rest to use a different wood.

Hi SCM  (Do you have a name?!)

No, I didn't buy the Wood Pack from Robbe which incidentally now costs around the £100 mark, but I bought limewood and mahogany timber from Jotika + Tung Oil from another source and the total cost was about £60.

tony23

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 09:15:54 pm »

Hi Nige,
          I have read the blog and that's what's got me wanting to build the boat I wondered who bought it you have a very fine ship there mate  O0 I called Modelling Timbers today and he confirmed he does not sell wood anymore would think he might change his company name  :D I considered building the Valdiva but the rigging looks to be a nightmare for easy transporting plus the boat is slightly smaller and I like big boats, have you sailed her much I would like to hear you thoughts on it.

Hi Brian,
            If I buy the whole package I can have the planking kit for £92 and the ballast for £75 I have loads of lead lying around so I'm going to mould my own to fit into the keel and I had read that the planking kit was rubbish, the shop I'm buying the boat from said I can pay for the planking kit and have a look at it if I don't like the contents return it and he'll refund me. I'm after a colour like Nige's boat if I can get it.

Tony

tony23

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 11:49:23 pm »

of interest what glue is used to stick planking to the plastic deck.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.