Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Simulating heat damaged tug exhaust pipes  (Read 2194 times)

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
Simulating heat damaged tug exhaust pipes
« on: January 04, 2011, 06:04:09 pm »

Just a quick 'how to'.
I have just painted a pair of exhaust pipes for a members FT-X tug. The intention being to simulate that heat damaged look of modern tugs. As the idea seemed to work, I thought I would share it.
The parts first need a coat of gloss or satin black enamel paint in preparation for the next stage. I use a product called Alclad, this is well known to the plastic kit boys out there. Designed to be airbrushed, they do a range of metallic colours including a Chrome and a Pale Burnt Metal, both of which i used here.

The first image shows the Chrome effect half painted on, the second image shows it covering the whole item.

This next image should just show the Pale Burnt Metal effect, lightly dusted over our 'hotspots.

The next colour to use is a Clear Blue, in this case a Tamiya Acrylic, this is sprayed over a slightly larger area than the previous colour.

The next image shows the working area and is the only shot I took of the next stage, which is another Tamiya colour, Clear Orange, covering a similar area to the Clear Blue but not all of it. You want a random look to this effect, not too random though, concentrate on the areas likely to become hottest.

The final colour added was another Tamiya one, Bronze, this was used to simulate the hottest parts of the pipes, the 45 deg bends and the outlets. Used in moderation, I didn't want to cover up the previous colours completely.

The Usual Suspects; Left to right, Expo Sprayaway airbrush cleaner, Alclad Chrome, Alclad Light Burnt Metal, Tamiya Clear Blue, Tamiya Clear Orange, Tamiya Bronze, Mister Stickys Spray Acrylic Thinners, Mister Stickys Universal Cleaner and an Expo AB725 Gravity Feed Airbrush.
Jobs a goodun, now can I get on with something for ME??? :kiss:
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

unicorn

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Simulating heat damaged tug exhaust pipes on Big Bertha
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 06:03:26 pm »

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Well the flues/stacks have returned from Alans ultra tidy work shop in record time with a
     finish that Big Bertha`s (MMM`s  FT-X) crew are extremely proud of as can be seen in the photo`s,
     they`ve promised to keep them cleaned and polished as befitting any non grey boats without guns.
                  cheers Alan
                                     regards pompy boy
                                                                      :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

red181

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Simulating heat damaged tug exhaust pipes
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 11:35:40 pm »

great job  :-))

I used the lexan alclad chrome for the vents on my Huntsman, its very good paint, little expensive, but you get what you pay for. Did you have to clear coat, when they where finished?

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Simulating heat damaged tug exhaust pipes
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 09:27:14 am »

great job  :-))

I used the lexan alclad chrome for the vents on my Huntsman, its very good paint, little expensive, but you get what you pay for. Did you have to clear coat, when they where finished?

I have tried clear coating once as a protective measure, it killed off the chrome effect quicker than that. Not advisable. I dont know how water will effect the finish, let us all know!!
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.