Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ABOUT A NAME...PLEASE...  (Read 3358 times)

rathikrishna

ABOUT A NAME...PLEASE...
« on: January 15, 2011, 02:39:52 pm »

Hai respected Friends..may i clear a doubt here..?  kindly..  i am living near o a place , that  near to a river bank, and that river finally reaches in to Arabian sea..so my doubt is this..what is the actual name of the place, that the river merges in to sea...here we use many words for it...now i am writing a short story related to this area.for the event of environmental concern..is that called a quayside..?  please help me once...

Corposant

• Full Mayhemer
Re: ABOUT A NAME...PLEASE...
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 03:37:54 pm »

Hi Rathi,

I think the name you are looking for is estuary. If your river is like the Nile in Egypt, where the river divides into many smaller parts before entering the sea, it might be called a delta. (Because the overall effect is triangular in shape.)

I hope this helps and may I wish you very happy modelling in 2011.

Regards,
            Mike

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 04:19:51 pm »

Where the river meets the sea, and the water is part sea water, and the tide makes the water go higher and lower twice a day, and there is only one main channel of the river, then it is called an estuary; as Mike says.

However, if there is a very large area maybe several km across, with lots of little branches of the river going to the sea, it may be called a delta.

If you can give us a name, or co-ordinates from Google Earth we may be able to advise you more.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 04:51:14 pm »

As an added note, a quay (pronounced "key") is a wharf or place to dock boats. Hence quay side = dock side.

John

rathikrishna

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 07:22:03 am »

Oh  Friends..indeed a great help..actually i was looking around in dictionaries...thanks a lots again..what can i do for this to you all...ohhh...nice things..and help..sure..thanks once again..Rachu

RRS01

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 02:23:10 am »

Damn! A day late and a dollar short  :(( ... The story of my life ...  :((

Any way, Rachu, for future reference, You could check out a 'Thesaurus' ... the only one I know of is "Roget's Thesaurus" but I suppose there are others ... I first heard of it when I was taking college English (and was using my GI Bill back in '95) ...  :-)

rathikrishna

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 04:49:00 am »

good morning Friend..i will try to get...have a nice day..and thank you.

Lord Bungle

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 10:02:59 am »

As an added note, a quay (pronounced "key") is a wharf or place to dock boats. Hence quay side = dock side.

John

I was allways told a wharf had to have building on it, as it stood for WareHouse And Riverside Frontage

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 10:14:16 am »

I was allways told a wharf had to have building on it, as it stood for WareHouse And Riverside Frontage

If you say so.

John

Lord Bungle

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 10:21:16 am »

If you say so.

John
I looked it up  {-) looks like I was told a Backronym  %)

The word comes from the Old English hwearf, meaning "bank" or "shore", and its plural is either wharfs, or, especially in American English, wharves; collectively a group of these is referred to as a wharfing or wharfage. "Wharfage" also refers to a fee ports impose on ships against the amount of cargo handled there.

In the northeast and east of England the term staithe or staith (from the Norse for landing stage) is also used. For example Dunston Staiths in Gateshead and Brancaster Staithe in Norfolk. Though the term staithe may be used to refer only to loading chutes or ramps used for bulk commodities like coal in loading ships and barges. It has been suggested that wharf actually is an acronym for ware-house at river front, but this is a backronym, spread around as a fact by tour guides on Thames river boats.

The Barbours Cut Terminal of the Port of Houston, USA. This cargo shipping terminal has a single large wharf with multiple berths.Another explanation may be that the word wharf comes from the Dutch word "werf" which means 'yard', an outdoor place where work is done, like a shipyard or a lumberyard.

rathikrishna

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 10:47:58 am »

Surely..on way back to home i will shoot some photographs of the mentioned place and will post it here... so i hope you may get a clear idea...sure...

rathikrishna

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 02:34:59 pm »

Here i am posting the pictures...you can see the river from my camera view and merging in to sea...

rathikrishna

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 02:35:28 pm »

second one..

rathikrishna

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 02:36:29 pm »

and this is an inscription that the French left here..i hope its some belongs to Janne darc..its on the bank..

rathikrishna

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 02:37:17 pm »

sorry here...

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 03:52:54 pm »

Nice pictures, looks like you are good at everything you do.   :-))
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Corposant

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 05:48:11 pm »

Rachu,

I think the date 1888 on the monument is a bit late for Jeanne d'Arc, she was born in 1412!

Mike

kiwi

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 06:44:00 pm »

Hi Rachu,
Mike and Tigertiger have it right.
Just below and to the left of the bird in the centre of your second photo, is a sand bar, so the area under the bird is the "river mouth",
(between the sand bar and the beach to the right).
And the area of the river between the sand bar and where you stood to take the photo is the estuary.
The area of a river which is subject to tidal movement is the extent of the estuary. Salt water near the mouth varying in salinity to fresh water further inland, distance depending on the flow of the river and tidal height.
Hope this helps a little. Your photos bring back memories of when I was a kid exploring such an estuary in our rowing boat. Kept me happy for hours.
cheers
kiwi

rathikrishna

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 01:10:44 pm »

Ohh..Friends..my doubt is this again...you can see the water from the river enters in the sea...means the merging point of two water source..here in our language Malayalam, we call that area as "AZHIMUKHAM"..so what will be the name in English..?  any help...?

pugwash

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 02:11:43 pm »

Rachu, as far as I can find out "azhimukham" means Mouth (as in River) or estuary - thats as near as I can get.
Geoff

rathikrishna

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2011, 06:18:04 am »

Great Friends..i am going with ESTUARY...ok..i willfinish my writings by tomorrow, and submitt..thank you all friends...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.