Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: what yacht hull is this  (Read 4583 times)

LarryW

Re: what yacht hull is this
« on: January 15, 2011, 05:39:51 pm »

hi all , can any body tell what yacht hull this is i pulled it out of a skip in ST GEORGE BRISTOL, it is 6ft 8ins long 12in wide and 18 deep keel.
   it is not to bad condition , and what type of sail rig would this require ,it wuold make Nice summer Restoration project .
   can you help .......lLARRY ..... :-)
 ps  it as  to be summer to big to fit in work shop so as to to be side job...... :-))

triumphjon

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 06:31:13 pm »

was it in a skip in holmes hill road ?  used to be an older sailing gent living in the corner house , often had a citreon bx estate parked on the drive ! i should think its a marblehead hull . you could take it down to portishead or clevedon for identification ? jon

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 06:43:54 pm »

Probably an A Class hull
Too long for a Marblehead
Looks to me like an A class

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

destroyer42

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 07:22:22 pm »

Hi LarryW,
Its a J class.

Destroyer42

LarryW

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 10:53:53 am »

hi all ,i think thats a yes,JON and thanks to all replied keep them coming still want to no what rig is needed , is there sail plan a round?......LARRY...

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the VERY Best !
    • JOHN DOWD
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 11:05:28 am »

Hello Larry,

Does the hull have Lead in the keel?, if not, you will have to fit a ballast bulb onto its end.
The hull is not a true J Class, they have a full keel, not a fin.

My J class is built onto a very similar hull, mine used to be a 10 Rater.
Your hull is 6 feet 8 inches long, so rigged as a J Class it will need a 7 foot Mast !.
A smaller mast will just look wrong as a J.

Have look at mine on my website   www.john-dowd.co.uk

John  :-))
My Projects, Photos and Videos
http://www.john-dowd.

raymond

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 11:22:17 am »

Hi LARRYW
              I am certain this is an A Class hull ,by a strange coincidence a week before Christmas I was given an identical hull that was on its way to the tip ,no history with it ,yours has some not very clear letters on the hull so could have a racing history that could be traced if it had been registered ,I know nothing about sailing but love the lines of the boat so like you I am going to restore it ,I went on to the Vintage Model Yacht Group web site and if you send pics.there is a chap on there who can identify yachts going back years ,I am fotunate to live not far from where they sail so will be able to go and get some info first hand but try the web site you will find it interesting.
                   Ray

LarryW

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 11:23:44 am »

hi JAYDEE ; yes it has lead in keel, thanks for info on mast ,i am new to sail boats , so be looking for any help i can get ...LARRY :-)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 02:55:13 pm »

was it in a skip in holmes hill road ?  used to be an older sailing gent living in the corner house , often had a citreon bx estate parked on the drive ! i should think its a marblehead hull . you could take it down to portishead or clevedon for identification ? jon

I married a girl from there.     %)  She lived on the main road at the top of the hill.

Sorry to break into your thread Larry but the mention of my home town brought back memories.  As mentioned in Dan's thread, I have obtained his yacht which looks similar to yours and find this thread interesting.  I shall however, wait until you have built yours before I have a go as I know nothing about sailing vessels.   ok2

Cheers

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

LarryW

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 03:57:38 pm »

hello KEN,.............SNAP ;) LARRY

LarryW

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 04:37:51 pm »

HELLO AGAIN . name on hull is scotch mist  any help ........LARRY .

triumphjon

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 06:24:56 pm »

thats a coincedence kenny , i used to go out with a lady who lived the other side of the dip ! i used to sail at the same lake as the chap who probably threw out the hull , we used to use eastville on a sunday afternoon , its a small world ?

LarryW

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 01:27:31 pm »

hi, heres to the wives and girlfriends hope they never meet {-)......now back to the yacht hull thread :-)).........LARRY

LarryW

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 08:50:23 pm »

HI still looking for sail plan , or complete boat plan, before i renovate the model ....LARRY W

LarryW

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 08:33:07 pm »

hi , still looking for plan of ....j class yacht, to start to  renovate hull taken off skip , also a sail plan i can understand  {:-{...
   I WAS told it takes a 7 ft mast how thick and how fixed to deck . my new deck is 1/8 ply . glass fibre fixed to hull with hull access..........LARRY.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011, 02:57:50 am »

Hi Larry

If you have not fixed the deck yet, is there any evidence that the mast foot was stepped into the hull? Perhaps some tell tale rubbing marks.

If not, you need to think about reinforcing the deck under the mast foot. A couple of beams under the deck would be easiest.
Or have the mast going through a hole in the deck and mounting on a block of wood.

The mast itself does not need to be super thick. Masts don't need to be super strong laterally, as they are under compression. You need to make it as light as possible, as this is weight above the water line, you could use fishing rod sections.

But with a seven foot mast, the tensions in the shrouds and stays will be big. Have a look at JayDees website. I think he needed to use 140lb bs steel wires. This would perhaps punch a mast through a 1/8" ply deck.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

hmsantrim

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 03:49:06 am »

Hi larry.
            here is a place you can go shopping...http://www.officialjclass.org/plans_and_drawings.htm

if you go to the top left of the page and click on plans scroll down you will find  French Model site for Shamrock V plans
            click on it there is an address in frog land with plans for 20euros @ £17. 

also this site here http://www.nonsolovele.com/Plans&Models.shtml  scroll down to vintage and A class click on Tuiga it has
           good internal arrangement diagrams for the winches and sheets. 

If you get really stuck I may be persuaded to dig out my J class rigging and measure it.  But only as a last resort  {-)

cheers Frank.. :P

LarryW

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 02:07:26 pm »

THANK YOU FRANK, had a look at web site , got a sail plan and deck plan looks a bit like my hull .
 will have to do a bit more searching before i start  .....      cheers LARRY.......

Greggy1964

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2011, 05:43:31 pm »

Apologies Larry,

My computer is on the fritz and my post has ended up on your Topic here twice! %)

I have asked Marin to remove them for me :-))

LarryW

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2011, 07:34:39 pm »

no probs ,   may be i will get what i am looking for........larry... :-))

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2011, 08:27:48 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.