Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Himoto ESC / 540motor noise  (Read 2122 times)

rayna

Himoto ESC / 540motor noise
« on: January 15, 2011, 10:42:09 pm »

:-) Hi all I have a set up using a Himoto ESC (for cars originally I think) and have just linked it with a 540 motor fully suppressed. Previously it had worked with another DC motor quite ok but now with this new set up whenever it is running we have a variable pitched whining/squealing noise. I have run into this before but can recall what i was told the reason was or what motor was suitable to be paired with the particular ESC.
Any help appreciated. I am quite happy to just replace the motor. maybe a graupner type. Duty is low speed fishing boat fullbodied hull about 400mm long. She staems along quite satisfactorily at the lowest of speeds with not much increase when taken up to full revs.Intend to change the ratio probably. (o ring reduction drive).
thanks
Rayna

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Himoto ESC / 540motor noise
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 10:01:45 am »

The motor is being switched on and off rapidly by the ESC.  If the pitch varies, then it is probable that either the ESC varies its pulse rate to vary speed, or its a combination of the motor speed and the pulse rate.  Various combinations work for some, the "same" combination might not work for somebody else, theres just no telling in advance.  This assumes that the motor and prop shaft bearings are lubed, and that there are no internal problems like an armature winding thats not as tight as it should be.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Lord Bungle

Re: Himoto ESC / 540motor noise
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 10:06:42 am »

thats one of the "Joys" of an ESC, As malcolmfrary has said, the esc sends out a pulse of power to control the speed, where mechanical speed controllers did it by resistance.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.