Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seaforth Conqueror  (Read 7386 times)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
Seaforth Conqueror
« on: February 23, 2007, 07:50:43 pm »

Hi all,

Well, she is just about finished and ready for her test sail - only the funnel insignia to go on and a few bits of rigging and a bit more touchup of paint:

Im normally a 'grey' builder, but like many modellers, you look for inspiration.   The inspiration for this model came from a thread on this Forum called a tug in bad weather - I suggest if you havent watched this you grab yourself a cup of coffee/cuppa/or suitable refreshment  ;D and sit and enjoy.

After watching the video, I knew Ihad a set of plans from the Model Boats magazine May 1983 but I didnt have the magazine at the time with the accompanying articles.  For those who may be wishing to build this model, the accompanying article is only one page and literally only one page - 90% of it is actually about the full size vessel and 10% of it suggests that there is no commercial hull available for it, but, there is one for the Seaforth Clansman which is larger - and what the editor of the article suggests is to cut a cross/section out of the Seaforth Clansman's hull, so it is the same size as the Seaforth Conqueror  :o I suppose its up to the individual.

This particular model is plank on frame built and this is where the problems of the plan really are highlighted:  the cross-sectional frames numbers 5,4,3 and 2 are totally the wrong shape. These have to be reduced drastically to maintain the alignment of the propellor shafts in all plains.   The other problems with the plans is it could do with a few more structural views of the superstructure at different angles.  Having said that, I know that in the model plans handbook, this particular plan is graded as 3 *** (i.e. for the average modellor) I think it should be 4 **** plus because of the lack of information and the amount of exterior research that has to be done.

Having said all of this - personally I think this is a good partner for the model of the Aziz and if someone were to come along with a commercial hull for this vessel - I think they might be on a winner.  On the other hand - if some capable person - who I know are on this forum with cad in their computer and are able to re-draw the lines of this hull correctly - with a bit of further information - it would make a suitable build for someone with a little experience in plank on frame building technique.

Apart from all the faults, Ive really enjoyed building this model, and I have received a lot of help on this forum - and anyone wishing to construct a model like this - there is an awful lot of information on this forum.   There are several things I would have liked to  have done on this model - i.e. construct my own bow thrusters but didnt have the time.

See what you think.

I will see if she sails well on Sunday  :P :P

Aye
John E
BLUEBIRD
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Big Mark

Re: Seaforth Conqueror
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 07:57:37 pm »

Looks very good mate, cant wait to her afloat and in use

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 08:04:12 pm »

Superb model John. How long did it take to build ?

What are her dimensions ?  She does look similar to my Aziz.

Cheers...Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 08:09:20 pm »

hi there thanks for the compliments

she is supposed to be 1/50th scale so she works out at 35" long by 7" beam.    I started cutting the frames out on 12 January 2007 - for those true tuggies notice I havent installed the portable gogeye yet on the aft deck.

aye
john e
bluebird

Big Mark

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 08:11:41 pm »

2007!!! good god, hi speed building....shall have to check with your other half if you do everything in high speed ;)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 11:59:44 am »

hi all , just back from sea trials - it is now reclassed TUG HANGLING MTB - well pleased with it - motors a bit over powerful, too much power, not enough fuel in the batteries.   

aye
john e
bluebird

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 08:41:35 am »

Hi John
She is looking good in the water. High Speed building John built my hull for the Meteor in 3 days.

Have you got the album link yet ? PM if not.

Red Dragon

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 11:13:06 pm »

Here are some pictures of Seaforth Conqueror model at the liverpool maritime museum as promised.

Red Dragon

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 03:05:52 pm »

Cheers there Red Dragon

I can spot several differences between mine and the museum's - just as everyone else will be able to spot them.   I can also spot differences between the model in the museum and life size ship.  ;D

Just goes to prove, not all things in life are as they seem.

Aye
John E
BLUEBIRD.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 02:20:56 pm »

Hi All, for Martin here is a picture of the 'internals' of my Seaforth Conqueror

aye
 john e
 bluebird

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2007, 10:47:06 pm »

John,
Whar are the main motors?

Bob
Officially a GOG.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2007, 09:47:20 pm »

Bob, sorry for the slight delay  :D

She has two 540 high drain motors in her.  The 15 amp touch ones.

As you can see from the photograph, just a bit slightly overpowered.

aye
john

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 08:10:43 pm »

I have in mine a single MFA380, open her up and the ship wants to plane!  yeep!  john has yours got a keel at all or is she totally flat underneath the hull?
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 08:13:03 pm »

by the way what is the colour code you use for when I come to paint Nord Icelandia when her super structure is complete. 

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 08:24:16 pm »

Hil Ghost

Has your model got a keel at all or is she totally flat underneath the hull?   - - NO she is a well rounded hull, but, with a flat mid-section.
and - what is the colour code you use for when I come to paint Nord Icelandia when her super structure is complete.
The Red for the hull sides - this is called Gulf Red and I bought this from Precision paints the Company is called Phoenix Precision Paint Company based in Cheltenham Gloucester - the number of the paint is P293 - British Rail Engineers Gulf Red dull

The Cream for the superstructure - this is called - Matt Cream and I bought Humbrol Paint for that - its number 103 - small tinlets (cant remember how many I used though)

The Reddy Brown on the Deck - was called Matt Red Brown and that is Humbrol as well - number 100 - small tinlets.

The rest of the fittings painted with coal black - number 85 - Humbrol satin colour

I then sprayed the whole lot with number 135 - satin varnish - Humbrol once again.
aye
john e
bluebird

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2007, 11:03:59 am »

thanks John, its quite close to the carolyn Chouest cream and the nathaniel B Palmer's upper colour
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.