Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: workshop heater  (Read 3544 times)

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
workshop heater
« on: January 18, 2011, 05:48:34 pm »

As i have had to throw away some pva and other stuff due to the frost and my little gas heater been about as much use as a chocloate firegurad .
So i decided to make a gas bottle wood burner , what do you think.

and the area where it will sit , just waiting for the delivery of the new box profile tin sheet's .

daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
Re: workshop heater
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 06:09:21 pm »

Very smart- what grate arrangement have you used?

A point of concern- the heat sheilding is a great idea, and increases the efficiency of the stove- however, it must be made of a heatproof and non-flammable materials. While the galvanised sheet is non-flammable, it is not heatproof and will allow the face of the plywood to char, an errant spark or a spash of oil could have disasterous conseqeunces. For heat sheilding in industry a very succsessful asbestos substitute, 'Asbestolux' if I remember correct, that comes in 6mm sheet, can be cut with a saw and has all the heat insulation properties of Asbestos.

This, along with a minimum air gap of 25mm would bring it inline with building reg.s.

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 06:25:59 pm »

And the smoke goes up the chimney just the same!
As long as its not treated pallets you are burning!

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 12:54:33 am »

Thanks for the advice Greg , yes the heat could be a problem where the galv plate touch's the ply so i will keep an eye on it once it's fitted and running , where the chimney exits the roof i have a plate area to fill with vermiculite for a heat barrier .
As for fuel i will only be burning untreated timber i can get from the docks (dunnage) , theres plenty of it that ends up in the skips .But for the capacity of the stove i will only burn a small amount at a time , i do have a for of grate in the bottom ,3 bars pushed in from the front with about 3" space between them so the timber can fall to the bottom , the idea is that once the fire is alight i can pull the bars out so the fire is at the bottom , the grate is only needed when burning coal.
daz 

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 07:52:41 am »

i do have a for of grate in the bottom ,3 bars pushed in from the front with about 3" space between them so the timber can fall to the bottom , the idea is that once the fire is alight i can pull the bars out so the fire is at the bottom , the grate is only needed when burning coal.
daz 

Good idea, I'm sure those of us with freezing workshops still aren't jealous in the slight, oh no!

Greg

Timo2

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 08:08:18 am »

Hi all

You do,not burn  BLUE PALLETS   <*< or the pallet police will call  >>:-(

A good looking stove but you well need a cast iron bottom grate for the fire and a ash tray or space with a door to remove it.

Timo2

P.S.  just an old Ironmonger / Blacksmith .

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 08:59:26 am »

Great idea and it will pump out some serious heat.

Had you thought about fitting some baffles in the top of the cylinder or in the flue just to slow down the gases a little, you will lose less heat up the spout that way.

A further mod might be to fit some tubes through the top of the cylinder,  and with a little fan blowing through you get a fan heater!

Just a thought.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Lord Bungle

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 10:11:21 am »

Just a word of warning mate, from someone who has made the mistake in the past, please make sure you have no hot parts touching ANY of the ply. The Glue that holds the ply together is very flamable when it gets hot, and the flame will spread like the panel has been soaked in petrol. I wouldn't want to hear or you or your model going up in flames.
LB

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 03:23:51 pm »

Hi all

You do,not burn  BLUE PALLETS   <*< or the pallet police will call  >>:-(

Timo2

OK - you've got my attention now! What is it that is special about blue pallets? Are other pallets OK to burn?

Just curious

Barry M

Timo2

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 04:37:02 pm »

Hi  All & Barry

BLUE PALLETS hire from the company that pay my wages ( yes a pallet policeman )

Blue pallet are never SOLD only out on Hire   <*<

Timo2

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 04:40:29 pm »

I am watching this thread with great intrest. I have just been given a pot belly stove and some flue pipe for my shed/workshop. I am trying to work out what i hed still.

John

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 04:46:23 pm »

Chep pallets have their own traceable invoicing system
Some other pallets are stamped with the owners name or logo
Most pallets are made from treated wood which give off all kinds of nasties
when they are burnt. The eco  :police: :police: might be on your trail  >>:-( >>:-(

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Timo2

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 05:02:46 pm »

Hi

Chep Standard  Pallets contain   only   FSC Wood , Nails, &  Blue Wood Dye .  :-))       No nasties

Timo2

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 05:09:57 pm »

Hi

Chep Standard  Pallets contain   only   FSC Wood , Nails, &  Blue Wood Dye .  :-))       No nasties

Timo2

So quite safe to burn then?  ok2
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Timo2

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 05:34:52 pm »

:police: <*< :police: <*< :police: <*< :police:

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2011, 01:06:39 pm »

Nope i won't be burning any pallet's , blue or any other colour .
The only wood that will go in the fier will be white wood which i have access to in abundance .
I did think about a grate for the bottom but for the amount of ash left over i don't think one will be nessersary , when i checked it during instalation there was a slight dusting in the bottom from 3 good day's burning when i was (burning off the paint) conditioning it.
Where the galv sheeting is in contact with the ply i intend to sandwich a piece of concrete board as a heat barrier , but there is at least 5" space to the stove all round , and with the size of my shed i wont need a big fire burning.
I have fitted a damper in the flue , ok its not the best fit but on trials it did reduce the air flow and made the fire last longer .
Picked my roofing sheet up the other day so all been well tues i will roof the workshop and fit the chimney , my only concern with the roof is where the chimney exits , hopefully it will be on a flat section of the sheet's but with sod's law it will be on a ridge . I did look at fire cement/putty but it is for internal use , so i bought a tube of heat resistant mastic (200 degC) and it's waterproof , otherwise i will put some flashing up made from some spare galv sheet.
daz

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2011, 03:42:11 am »

Just an update , i have been given a possible solution to the sealing of the chimney where it exit's the roof.
I cant believe i didn't think of it.
EXHAUST REPAIR PUTTY O0
And when i say it was staring me in the face , it practically was , there is a tub on the shelf  :o Doh !,
daz

meyer

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2011, 09:30:45 am »

you can buy a plate for the roof that will take the chimney through the roof, that chimney will get hot
I have a half inch gap round my chimney, and believe me it can and does get hot, a good burn will see flames
coming out the top of the chimney if your not careful.

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2011, 10:46:56 am »

you can buy a plate for the roof that will take the chimney through the roof, that chimney will get hot
I have a half inch gap round my chimney, and believe me it can and does get hot, a good burn will see flames
coming out the top of the chimney if your not careful.

Really not a good idea- the air gap should be a minimum of an inch (25mm) - any house insurance you have got will be invalid from a fire caused by this chimney as it does not comply with building reg.s.

I would also advise fitting a flue damper as Portside has done- this will control the amount of air being drawn through the grate, using less fuel and keeping the flames in the stove where they should be.

Good idea with the exhaust putty- it is waterproof isnt it?

Greg

meyer

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2011, 11:06:03 am »

actually looking at it the gap is well over an inch, fire is controlled by damper at bottom of stove, closing it will put fire out completely. The stoves in a
shed way down the bottom  of the garden so no danger of setting anything on fire, but if your putting a chimney straight out the top of the stove through
the roof sparks will shoot out especially if your burning pine

Patternmaker

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2011, 05:06:47 pm »

That photo reminds me of the problem I had with a neighbour and their wood burning stove engulfing our
Garden with smoke.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=27156.0

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2011, 07:29:57 pm »

Doesnt look to me as though Meyer has a problem with neighbours, lucky..B........R.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

meyer

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2011, 08:00:02 pm »

not a neighbour in sight  O0
the stump in the background is all that is left of one the trees that we built the shed from

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2011, 05:15:35 pm »

Me a happy bunny now , the roof is on and the wood burner is fitted .
Spent the day fitting the new box profile sheets on the roof and made the opening for the chimney , where the chimney exits the roof sheey i fabricated a strip of lead flashing and siliconed (heat resistant to 200degC) it into place , then slipped a stainless tube over both chimney and lead  . then the cowel was fitted , and hey presto.
Had to get the fire going , and a few min's later there was a nice fire in the stove . I checked the sides and although the fire was quiet hot the galv plate was still cool , so the heat deflectors are working .
A few pics of the finished project.

daz
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.