Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: US Navy's New Pirate Catcher  (Read 5086 times)

RRS01

US Navy's New Pirate Catcher
« on: January 19, 2011, 06:05:23 pm »

Here's a copy of an email I got late last year ... What can I say, even if she can't do 60 knots, (which considering how the military usually downplays the capabilities of their new 'toys') She impressed the hell out of me!!   O0  (and, yes, I have emailed a copy directly to my favorite modeler, Rathikrishna)  :}

Here are  some recent photos of the LCS-2 (to be named The USS Independence).
Here she is at sea trials running at only HALF- power at 43 knots!
    NOTE the absence of a bow wave.

Also turns tightly too.  Allegedly this turn was also done at 43 knots...
    And from the look of the small bow wave, she’s still in the turn.

Note the absence of any sign of her 'heeling over' even at that speed.

And then there's the massive helo deck big enough for a CH-53.
Last time I talked with the SURFPAC guys years ago.
THIS was the LCS they wanted because of the huge storage
Capacity under that flight deck and the size of the flight deck.

Note that there is very little spreading wake.
In fact, it does not look like a wake at all, just foamy water
From the water jets.  Somehow, at 43 knots, you'd think
There'd be more of a wake.

She's aerodynamically designed and kind of strange looking.
Is this beginning of a new design in ships?

Here's some more pics of the US Navy's new pirate catchers!

This is the U.S.S Independence (LCS-2)
It is a Triple Hulled, Weapon-Laden Monster.
Here she is under construction....

There have been rumors about the U.S. Navy's speedy new
Triple hulled ships, but now they're for real.
The U.S.S  Independence was built by General Dynamics.
It's called a "Littoral Combat Ship" (LCS), and the trimaran
Can move its weapons around faster than any other ship in the Navy.

(Ironic that with all that high tech, the ship reminds me of the
Merrimack ironclad from Civil War days).

'Littoral' means close-to-shore, and that's where these very
Ships will operate.  They're tailor-made for launching helicopters
And lightly-armored vehicles, sweeping mines and firing
All manner of torpedoes, missiles and machine guns.

These ships are also relatively inexpensive.  This one is a bargain
At $208 million, and the Navy plans to build 55 of them.

This trimaran is the first of a new fire breathing breed,
Ready to scoot out of dry dock at a rumored 60 knots top speed.
It's like a speedy and heavily armed aircraft carrier for helicopters.

pugwash

Re: US Navy's New Pirate Catcher
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 06:13:59 pm »

This looks like a follow on from the Triton - when she was on test with the RN there were reports that the USN were very interested in the
test programme results  and as usual we end up designing something worthwhile and then don't bother and the Americans throw some
money and time at it and come up with a very viable warship at a reasonable price.
Geoff

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 06:29:26 pm »

mikearace

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 06:32:11 pm »

I was just about to say basically HMS Triton and you beat me to it.  Its just a cleaned up more radar cloaked bigger version.  Once again we seemed to have done the hard work, decided it wouldnt work, passed the programme results to our ally seemingly free gratis and then lived to regret it.  The list of these examples is endless.  

sailorboy61

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 06:33:33 pm »

No good having this kind of hardware when the support software isnt in place.... all it is for now is a pirate catcher and let-goer.

As someone who has spent a considerable amount of time on unarmed merchant ships in pirate waters.... its time (as usual), teh politicians stopped talking and we saw some action.... shoot the B*****Ds back....

Thanks

ben hall

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 06:36:30 pm »

all i can say is it looks reeeeeeeeeeely coooooooooooooooool :-)) :} :} :} :}

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 08:00:59 pm »

It was reported yesterday the Rolls Royce have been awarded the contract to power the ten ships of this class. Apparently the units produce enough power and move enough water  to fill an Olympic size pool in 25 seconds.

This is the companies largest-ever surface ship contract.

dave301bounty

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 08:34:03 pm »

The firm awarded the contract have not been named ,British maybe ,The American Marine Engineer Mag ,will not say anything other than what has been said here ,its very interesting how some of you fellas ,especially John ,you do seem to know enough to qualify for a very good job with the U S Merchantile Marine .well done for enlightening us .

pugwash

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 10:21:16 pm »

According the this months Warship World the US Navy wants 10 Austal designed trimarans and 10 Lockheed designed
mono hulled Littoral combat ships instead of deciding on one class.   USS Fort Worth (lockheed) has just been launched
and the USS Independence(Austal) is undergoing tests.  As they are likely to want more than 20 they will have to decide
later which class they will continue building. Apparently Congressional Support is required for this course of action so things
may change.
Geoff

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 10:33:27 pm »

This does look like the result of the "Triton" trials.
Although the Triton was a civilian manned ship she was a 1/3 scale model of the "Future Frigate Project" and paid for by MoD.
The American Military invested heavily in sensors around the hull to measure stress and strain while she was out stormchasing.
Pretty typical that although we built the first one (even at a scale) another country uses the information and builds the full sized operational one.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 10:45:56 pm »

It might just be me, but I think it's wild ugly.
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

RRS01

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 10:49:53 pm »

in a SEXXY 'High Speed, Low Drag' sorta way! ;)  ;)  ;)

The long Build

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 10:56:29 pm »

I am Currently constructing a very similar model Hopefully up and running for the Model Boat Convention as a scratch built, Based on the Triton and a couple of concept ships, Christmas has slowed things down a bit but I have received the running gear from Gt-Sitek.

I am still not happy with the design and am getting through quite a bit of cardboard.. :}  I am also still researching the concept ships but will be building it the same scale as the Type 45 I have from Sirmar.

A couple of pictures.. As I say my model will be a mixture of what I like from these 2 pictures

Currently I prefere the superstructure of the first picture but also like the enclosed Bow area of the 2nd

I had also seen the Launch pictures of USS Independence and started to rethink the hull just before Christmas.. Its a good job I have a nearly unlimited supply of card..

The build of this will primary be on the Warship site , with the Sister Type 45 being on here..

brianB6

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 11:57:05 pm »

Nice to see an Australian company doing so well even if it has to build in the USA
If you prefer civilian ships there is the Benchijigua Express in Spain

plugger

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 04:53:40 am »

Trumpeter has already released a kit for this. See  http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=27588.0

At 1:350, the kit would be around 360mm long, beam 90mm.

dave301bounty

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 07:22:56 pm »

Nice to see an Australian company doing so well even if it has to build in the USA
If you prefer civilian ships there is the Benchijigua Express in Spain
Good to see the Oz is there ,Mel ,I love it .Take a trip down Bedford st ,in essendon ,tell Johnny red ,hes o k .

Ticonderoga

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 01:01:40 pm »

Check out the Austal web site. Some good pics and a great video.

http://www.austal.com/

Andrew

rathikrishna

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 01:03:12 pm »

OOOOOYAAAA....what is this..AMMEEEEEE....its sure...yes..its on my drawing table..and soon..yes will be in my simming pool...yuuummmyyy....ohhh its an amazing one...thank you, for sharing this...

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2011, 09:54:27 pm »

I sailed several times on Triton ...at anything below 9 kts she she would roll up to 35 deg and 45 deg wasn't uncommon in a force 5 0r 6 and we rolled up to 17 deg moored along side in Gt. Yarmouth  she had two Deltic gen sets driving a single prop (multi bladed scythe submarine type) that patruded .75 metres below the keel [no good in shallow water] the controls were built by Rolls Royce and were 1 off    It took 10 seconds to go from Ahead to Stop and another 10sec to go Astern she also had two electric drive motors one in each sponson and could steam at 8 kts on them but they were no good for manoeuvring  because they had no rudders  and the props were so close to midships you ciuldn't twist her  with one ahead and one astern. and until we installed a bow thruster in her she was a nightmare to get in and out of Harbour (The MOD allways took a tug.)... She is now on long term charter to HMA Customs patrolling the North coast of Aussie  :-))
Freebooter
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

The long Build

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2011, 10:01:12 pm »

Bit Confused here..   You say she had an engine in each sponson  , so she had 3 props ?.  I assume I have this totaly wrong  :-X

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2011, 09:13:06 pm »

That is correct  Long BiuldThe main Propultion Prop in the main centre hull  when steaming on 2 gen sets gave a top speed of 19 to 20 kts 
  When steaming on all 3 props she had a max speed of 27 kts....( Main prop and the two wing motors in the sponsons)
  When steaming on the two wing motors alone she could do 8 kts (these were the get you home motors when the main motors broke down "as they often did")
  All the propolsion motors were electric , main power supply was 2 deltic gen sets these were used as they were the most powerful engines for their weight "sorry I can't remember the HP "

What people don't seem to realise is that this was a consept ship, and only the hulls were new... all the drive machinery was 2nd or 3rd hand in fact one of the deltic's came out of mining machinery being used in Canada, an awful lot was learned from this little ship  ... for a start the shape of her sponsons was all wrong ... they were shaped like rocker chisels (like a rocking horse) and this gave her an uncomfortable ride as when she rolled they tended to throw her violently back as they gained buoyancy too quickly due to the shape..
Freebooter
Kings Lynn

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2011, 09:28:23 pm »

looks like the USN design teams got it right with this design though James , properly designed the extra stability and deck space of a trimaran hull would mean considerably less fuel consumption for a future Frigate or Destroyer , the main drawbacks of a design like this is dry dock width. Guess you'd need to make sure you had big enough dry docks before starting any construction work as some of the designs I've seen give a length to beam ratio if around 3:1 so for a 120m Frigate that would mean 40m beam !!!
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2011, 10:50:47 pm »

The USN had the benefit of all our testing and research.  Actually she was quite a nice little ship with all her faults ... the engines were sopused to be gas turbines but they couldn't afford them --- So The Deltics ---She was 120 metres long the beam I think was 4 to 1---the full size one was to be over 400 metres long ---
                                    Her main Faults were
  1) Stability at speeds below 9 /10 kts [at speeds over 10 kts she was steady as a rock] below 9 kts she rolled like a barrel 30 deg's +
  2) Old engine's run a the limit of there power and didn't have anywhere near the power of the designed power plant and were allways braking down. ---- Finicky controls
  3) the shape of the sponsons   they didn't have enough wetted area to give good around stablaity
  4) War ship like accommodation  [Tiny cramped cabins, some were 2 & 4 and 6 Berth)
                                    + points
  a) she had a bridge the size of a Super Tanker with 6 foot hight windows   -----All of the bridge watch had there own seats ---{but you had to be strapped in them because   of   the rolling (Bridge watch = OOW , Duty Engineer, Cadet, Lookout at night  ,,,,Occ a helmsman..occ duty surveyor and or Geo.
  b) once we put the bow thruster in her she was fairly good to handle at slow speeds as she only had a single spade rudder entering port we used to go 1/4 to 1/3 ahead on the main propulsion  and 1/2 astern on the wing motors and steer her on the bow thruster and rudder this allowed enough water to flow past the rudder for steerage with out gaining to much speed

Freebooter
Kings Lynn
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.