Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Afon Alaw  (Read 7379 times)

BlazingPenguin

Afon Alaw
« on: December 31, 2006, 04:32:36 pm »

Just a few snaps from the moby to let you see where Im at Steve.
Finally got the shafts made, installed and aligned in the kort nozzles, that will let me get the motors fitted, then the deck supports for the deck etc.
Ground to a halt a little due to materials, so moved onto the superstructure for a a few days. I think Im going to call her 'Afon Clywyd' seeing as im a Clyde guy up in Glasgow. Looking forward to next years events witha tug thats fit for purpose this time! LOL.

mike_victoriabc

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Afon progress report
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 05:02:23 pm »

Nice looking wheelhouse - what is that built from and how did you cut out your windows? Mine always have a rough looking edge - those came out well.

All the Best in 2007

Mike - Victoria BC Canada

BlazingPenguin

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 05:12:56 pm »

Deck/wheelhouse is all from ply....1/8th on deckhouse, thinner stuff for wheel house.

I too had probs with windows until I started using my 'dremel' type tool for that.
Fit a drum sander of the correct radius to the 'dremel'...cut a slightly larger radius hole ina sheet of scrap plastic or ply, jam the dremel in the vie at the side of my bench with the majority of the drum sticking out of the hole...not quite all the way though!
Start up the dremel and place the roughly cut window on top of the the drum.....I'll take pic if required.
Then you can move the 'wall' around at your leisure, with plenty of control to get the window corners and straights looking not too bad....I think!
A good idea Ive seen is to line the window frame with the rail from a model train set.lloks fantastic if your require frames, on this boat I only need  that on one window either side and even then their not flush mounted...just protruding a bit, but I think this will make a big difference to the look.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 09:49:31 pm »

You have given us something to aim for. Very nice effect on the windows. I shall attempt this way if I may.

Cheers...Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

mike_victoriabc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 10:57:01 pm »

Interesting - I did try the Dremel but not in a fixed position. I'll have to see if I can make a jig up and try again.

Thanks for the information.

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 11:26:37 pm »

...Hi Guys...

A good way of holding your Dremel type tool in place is to clamp it pointing  upright  in the jaws of one of those Black & Decker type Workmate type benches then use cable ties underneath the table  to hold it in position...

Your tug is looking good Billy...All the best for 2007...Regards...Norry...

...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

poll

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 09:43:44 pm »

Hi Billy.

Will you fit a removable hatch over your rudder posts ?
               If so your winch would go there fitted to the underside
               of the hatch.   
               see back deck of port garth.

john.

BlazingPenguin

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 11:32:10 pm »

Most of the aft deck will be removable this time John, learnt a lot from you guys you know!
Besides having oiler tubes for the shafts, theres the same for the rudders too, that should stop much coming up there, the deck will also recess into a channel...hopefully stopiing most deckwash from doing much damage.
All electronics are to go on an aft platform, between the shafts to keep them off possible wet internal floor, also leaving loads of room for batteries....no room for lead passengers in this baby!

Billy

BlazingPenguin

Re: Afon Alaw
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 10:32:12 pm »

Got the motor mounts made and fitted the motors this evening, found the starboard motor bearing producing some heat so its off to the scrapyard tomorrow for a replacement I think!  >:(
When both were hooked up they gave out a very pleasant humm while running and you cold feel the harmonic from both through the hull.....sounded great!

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 10:48:51 pm »

Hy , got to say its all looking good, what motors /esc,s you using.
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

BlazingPenguin

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 02:51:28 am »

Motors are radiator fans from Ford Fiesta...there are two types, a large & a small. Mine are the large ones....grunt, grunt! ;D
ESC's will be 30amp Electronize for motors and bow thruster, simple micro switch for winches on low voltage.

ministeve

• Full Mayhemer
  • washing the decks!!!
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 07:03:05 pm »

hi bill and happy new year to u and yours. afon looks great mate Ive just started my portgarth but don't know what to make her as. got to contact Brian as i have a prob with one nozzle so that slowing me a bit and the fact that Ive got to go to work. i should go self employed all the lads i know doing CCTV make a fortune or only work 4 to 5 days a week. but cant complain really hope your build continues to go well and i will see u some time in the not to distant future
                            Steve  :)

BlazingPenguin

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 12:50:35 am »

How many Portgarths will that make it?  ;D
I whipped out the motor that was looking iffy this evening Steve and will have to try and get it replace sharpish...I want that deck down. Im planning on having my electrics etc under the rear deck and use the forward hatch for batteries only I think, maybe stick the speaker in the deckhouse with a plug....dunno yet.

Watched the finals again the other day and "IM GAGGING" to have a proper go now!

How many amps do your motor set ups run at on the bench you think Steve/John????

ministeve

• Full Mayhemer
  • washing the decks!!!
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2007, 06:59:22 pm »

hi bill my afon with those astra motors and a 540 motor free running runs at 9-10 amps dont know what it is in water but that hull fitted out right can hold 3x7amps side by side or 2x12v12amp batts . thats enough to tow for at least 2 hours as you know i dont have to change my batts half way through a tug towing day. with good batts that is. talk to you soon     steve

poll

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2007, 10:57:57 pm »

Hi Billy.
   On the port garth the elec's are in the bow on a shelf
   That gives me room for a 12.12 batt in the bow and a
    12.7 in the stern + a 6.4 batt for the rx and the winches.
    I have a sound unit fitted and the speaker is just below deck.  see pici.

Regards
    John

BlazingPenguin

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 07:40:45 pm »

I think that method of fitting the speaker would do me too John, busy this evening framing up the aft deck as wells as turning up some bits n bobs for mates at the club.

BlazingPenguin

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2007, 08:43:45 pm »

Disaster.....something went awry with my steering gear and I had to cut open the aft deck above the rudder shafts to sort it out.

Recovered the holes with two ply disks that Im hoping will look like the covers over ASD units....maybe.

Plan 'B' is to have my electronics etc attached to the underside of the rear hatch now, should by high and dry up there.

Made up the main towing winch and screwed to underside of the fordeck, screws concealed underneath foward escape hatch, so I can remove this for repair/replacement any time, and possible run the tow line to a forward winch If I want.

Cut the bulwark stays and fitted them, first coat of primer too.

Cut down a MMM winch to fit aft deck position.

Main towing bollard made up in brass as per 'Afon Caradog' complete with rotating hook assembly to lower right, roller assembly for otherside still to be made.

Started on the Hiab crane for aft deck, plan is to have this over a spigot stuck to the deck so it can be removed.

Made up both exhaust boxes and triple alloy stacks

Pair of Karm forks made and fitted to aft deck to gog the tow line with....

Foward section of (fan belt) rubbing strake fitted, glued, pinned and pins covered with rubber strip for gripping alongside tow

Have to get the wiring done then a water test is likely soon.....maybe!

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.