Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Townsend Thoresen Free Enterprise V / P&O Pride of Hythe - development of a kit.  (Read 280124 times)

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer

OUCH OUCH AND OUCH AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!  Over 2000 Euro.  Now I remember why I wanted to get into this game  O0 O0 O0.

If we could sell our range for that money - we would be millionaires in no time.......However.......................this is the real world.

Thanks for the messages of support and encouragement folks, it is appreciated  :-)). Spent this evening designing and working out the etched brass handrailing. The real ship had 60mm wide flat bar rails set on flat bar stanchions. All done now - another small task completed.....
Carl

True but I have yet to see a build log anywhere for one

There is a kit in my local model shop and its been on the shelf at least 2 and a half years, so I think sales figures are not that high
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models

Good evening folks,
Had all the plug wooden framing come back from the water-jet cutting faciility - many thanks to Steve at Modelboatbits: did a cracking job and very accurately cut they are too  :-)) :-)) :-)). Can recommend this method for wood (not yey tried it on styrene).

Pictures below show the 'dry run' for both the hull plug framing and the funnel.

Feels like real progress is being made now............
Carl

wartsilaone

Looking good Carl, you can see the outline already. Hope you are enjoying doing the hard work as much as we are following your progress. It's staggering just how much work it takes to produce a commercial kit like this. I think you're on to a real winner with this venture. :-))

TugCowboy

Put my name down for one of those! looks cracking, keep up the hard work.

Alex

Dave13

This look like it's going to be a great kit  :-)) Are you going to include the truster tubes?

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

This look like it's going to be a great kit  :-)) Are you going to include the truster tubes?

Yep - tubes will be included.........along with reccommendations for a thruster unit (the prototype will have a working thruster). The kit will have dummy thruster props to install should you not wish to have a working thruster.
Carl

cos918

• Full Mayhemer

Hi Carl
Hows is the kit devolment comming on

john

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

Hi John,
She is coming along - albeit a little slowly at the mo...
Was on R&R from the end may to mid june (in France - needed I can tell you!!!) - then 3 days after we got back I was floored with a virus!!!!!
Been on me sick bed since!!!! This is the first time I have had a chance to check-in on the forum in nearly a month.....

Looking forward to getting stuck in again very soon - feel unbelievably weak at the mo.....but doc says I am on the mend.........will post a more detailed update later this week when I have seen him again.

Want to get on.......feel as though time is slipping by too quickly!!!!
Carl

wartsilaone

Hi Carl. Hope you get better soon mate.

Ali.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer

Sorry to here that Carl ,hope you get well soon.

John

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

Hi friends,
Been a long time since I posted about progress with the kit.  What with my illness and then having to catch up with the 'day job', the kit development slowed down somewhat. HOWEVER - some progress has been made, although it seems one step back for every two steps forward.

Producing a mould for the hull that I am satisfied with is certainly taking its toll on my sanity!!!! I have junked a few.......but now think that I am getting closer.  After reading some of the comments recently on here about kit quality, I certainly dont want to fail at the first hurdle!!!!

Have had some styrene 'water-jet' cut as an experiment on some of the parts (both large and small and in different thicknesses) and can report that it seems a very good and cost-effective method (especially compared to either full CNC milling, stamping or just printing).  Sure, there would be some sanding and light dressing to be done by the modeller - but what model kit (of ANY manufacturer) does not require this?

For certain, Free Enterprise V will NOT be a beginners model - it will need some experience of plan reading, methodology and modelling skills to complete.  However, I do have in mind that Norland could be classed as, if not beginners, then one for the 'less experienced'.

Writing a comprehensive instruction manual is also on the list, however this will mostly take place as the prototype is built.

We have some way to go yet..........but we are not giving up. We just want to get it right.

We want you to enjoy this model.

Speak soon all,
Carl

Spook

That is such a classic ship. I think anyone who travelled by sea to Europe in the 70s & 80s will have been on at least one of the class. On the water it should evoke some memories  :-)

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

Was sorting out my camera chip today and came across a couple of photos I had forgotten I had taken of the development of the plug........

Added just for interest.

Carl

Subsonuc Mike

• Shipmate

Loving this already  :-))

Ferry Across The Mersey

Hi Carl,

New to the forum but had to join once I've seen the ship you're developing. I remember Townsend Thoresen with the greatest memories of trips to France when younger. I used to get so disappointed when my dad put us on the Sealink ferries as these were not a patch on TT. I was also really surprised to find out that FE V was still in service upto this year. It's now in port in Albania under the name Veronica Line and according to the company will be sailing again at Christmas (If they pay their bills).

Needless to say that once you've got the kit available I will be very interested indeed.

Thanks Antony

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

Hi Anthony and welcome to the Forum :-))

And thanks also for the vote of confidence in my kit creation endeavours!!!

I knew she was in Albania but didnt realise that she might sail again by christmas - how did you hear about it?
Cheers
Carl

Ferry Across The Mersey

Hi Carl,

"“There has been no stranding whatever, nor could it have happen as Veronica Line is weeks long berthed empty in Vlorė. Simply, the owners went to the port to check the strengthening of the moorings because of bad weather forecasts. Besides, the stop in Vlorė arises from the tiny throughput in low season while two other ships are sailing between Brindisi and Albania [i.e., ferries Red Star I of Red Star Ferries and Ionian Spirit of Agoudimos Lines]. Thus it is possible that the ship resumes sailing for the Christmas holidays peak” said Giosué Agrillo, head of Naples-based Alemar Srl, technical manager of Veronica Line."

Full article from: http://www.ship2shore.it/english/articolo.php?id=7309

I was shocked to see how many old TT Ferries have been sailing up to very recently. I still like the original TT colours:

What do you think?

Thanks Antony

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

AH yes, I know this article - it dates from November 2010.

She didnt sail last Christmas and, in fact, hasnt sailed since October 2010. Her AIS has been activated on numerous occasions, and she was listed for sale back in the late spring, but all recent reports still have her tied up in Vlore, Albania.

If only I could get on board for one last visit........would you think they would notice if I drove her away in the dead of the night and brought her home to the UK? Would make a great home!!!

As for the colour schemes - I concur with you that the early 'Townsend Car Ferries' livery is a classic. The kit, however, can have any livery you want!!!!!

As for former Townsend Thoresen ferries still in existance, this list is as up to date as I can compile...

Free Enterprise I - 1962 - (MV Okeanis - Laid up Pireaus, Greece)
Free Enterprise V - 1970 - (Veronica Line - Laid up Vlore, Albania)
Free Enterprise VII - 1972 - (BSP III - in service Indonesia)
Pride of Free Enterprise - 1980 (Oleander - in service Tangiers?)
Spirit of Free Enterprise - 1981 (Anthi Marina - Laid up Elefsis Bay, Greece)
European Clearway - 1975 - (MV Via Mare - ?)
European Enterprise - 1977 - (MV Gardenia - in service Ramsgate / Oostende)
Pride of Dover - 1986 - (Laid up Tilbury)
Pride of Calais - 1987 - (although never in Townsend Thoresen colours. In service Dover / Calais)
Viking Viscount - 1975 - (Vitsentzos Kornaros - in service Greece)
Viking II - 1965 (Windward II - Laid up Trinidad....a hotel I understand???)
Viking III - 1965 - (Red Star I - In service Brindisi / Vlore)
Cerdic Ferry - in service in the Black Sea as Sea Partner.
Doric Ferry - laid up in (I think) Gothenburg.
European Gateway - in service somewhere in the Meditearran as (I think she is still called) Penelope.
Nordic Ferry - in service in the Meditearran as Corsa Strada.
Tiger - in service as a cruise ship as Expedition. Although she was P&O, she was still in the Townsend Thoresen fleet for a short time, and repainted in their colours.
Viking Trader - in service in the Meditearran. Not sure of her name.

And then there are those no longer with us:

Free Enterprise II - scrapped 2003 (the first FE to be scrapped) Alang, India
Free Enterprise III - ran aground on Saudi coast and left there 2004
Free Enterprise IV - scrapped 2006 Alang, India
Free Enterprise VI - sunk after being hit by cargo vessel 2005
Free Enterprise VIII - scrapped 2011 Aliaga,Turkey
Herald of Free Enterprise - Capsized 1987 Zeebrugge (broken up Alang)
Viking I - scrapped 2008 Aliaga, Turkey
Viking IV - sunk 1996 in hurricane between Australia and Japan
All the Super Vikings (other than Viking Viscount) have been scrapped over the last 10 years, the most recent only a few months ago.

There are probably a few more (certainly from the early years) but when the Pride of Calais finishes her service, probably in January, that will be the last link of Townsend Thoresen to Dover severed (although she never sailed in TT colours, she was ordered by them).

Carl

Ferry Across The Mersey

Hi Carl,

Fantastic list. Thanks for sharing. Nice to see a few are still in service.

Back to you FEV. Sorry if the questions seem dumb but I'm new to all this although I have been into modelling for quite a few years now. What exactly will the kit include and will it include raising and lowering of the front bow and the rear loading ramp? Will you include any electrics or at least recommend a decent set up? I know it's early days but I'm really looking forward to seeing this progress.

Thanks Antony

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

Hi Antony - thanks for the interest in the FEV kit :-)) :-))

It is planned that the kit will include the following:

Fibreglass hull and front & rear superstructure modules
Waterjet cut styrene deck and superstructure parts and windows
etched brass detail items such as railings, companionways, grilles etc.
vac formed lifeboats, deck seating, bridge consoles etc. (to reduce weight).
cast resin details including winches, windlasses, bollards, fairleads, cowls, vents, vehicles (for the open car deck) etc.
timber for deck support
brass rod and wire for masts
Resin cast rudder
Prop tubes, shafts and 'P' brackets
full colour instruction book and CD.
Advice on motor, prop, and bow thruster choice
Suggestions for radio, servo, and battery installation
Suggestions for ballasting
Hints on methodology for bow and stern door opening (although the kit is designed to have these fixed closed, I realise that some might want to have them operating).

Most of the 'installation' set-up will be confirmed once we have the prototype up and running. At the moment, I am trying to get the plug to a standard ready for molding that I am happy with..........nearly there........but it is taking an age!!!!

Cheers
Carl

Ferry Across The Mersey

Hi Carl,

That's one comprehensive list. Thanks for letting me know and good luck with the progress, I know all your hard work will pay off in the end.

Antony

Fergusdaddy

Hello all, I'm new here and also new to the world of model boats, but I've always had a great intrest in ferries and would absolutely love to have one of my own.

Therefore, Carl I hope your venture is a great success and I think you really have found an obvious gap in the model boat world! Your choice for your first ship is a great one and the chosen scale should make for a fantastically detailed and substantial model. Must start saving the pennies, either for this or one of your future ships.

I'm familiar with one of these sisters, the FEIV, which I remember seeing a lot of as a boy when it ran from Cairnryan to Larne, as back in the day my parents had a caravan in Stranraer with great views of the Sealink and Townsend ships coming and going!

I hope your future plans will include the Sealink Saints and/or the Townsend Spirit class, and I can't wait to see your website up and running!
I'll be following your progress keenly and have put a couple of links on the ferry links thread to help you and others find all the pictures you need!

All the best, Joe

wartsilaone

Do you have any photos Carl?

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

Soon Ali, soon..............I had to pull the plug apart a couple of times over the last month as I 'ballsed it up!!'..........but I think I am getting there now. Very difficult making the time for it during the week what with travelling a fair bit for the day job.

Sanding the plug takes an age!!!!!!

Will try and get some decent photos over the weekend...........
Carl

andyn

Sanding the plug takes an age!!!!!!

Can say that again %)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 23   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.