Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Townsend Thoresen Free Enterprise V / P&O Pride of Hythe - development of a kit.  (Read 280117 times)

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models

As promised, so shots of the FEV plug in prep........
Carl

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

...............and some of the latest state of play..........

Once all the shaping has taken place, she will be covered in filler and the sanding starts all over again!!!!!!! :-X :-X :-X
Carl

Ferry Across The Mersey

Hi Carl,

Nice to see the progress but it does seem very hard work to get all the angles and shapes just right. Good luck!! and keep the photo's coming.

Thanks Antony

wartsilaone

Good work so far Carl. Looking real nice.

Ali.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

Can you guess what it is yet????
Carl

cos918

• Full Mayhemer

looking very good Carl

John

wartsilaone

Mouthwateringly good Carl.
I've read that there are five ships in this class, Free EnterpriseIII - Free EnterpriseVIII. We could all have different ones. Not to mention the umpteen liveries and new names these ships have carried. Mmmm Decisions Decisions!
You have a great future mate.

Ali.

P.S. Did anyone spot the deliberate mistake before I changed it?

wartsilaone

Roman numerals Do my head in!

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

Thanks guys - although today I was turning the same colour as the foam!!! Covered from head to toe in foam dust.....

BTW Ali - yes there were 5 in this class.....but they didnt start at III....IV was the first, then V, VI & VII and VIII was the last, but she was 6m longer in the bow.

And out of them, FEV is the only one left.

As for colours and names.............your choice guys!!!!!!!!!

Carl

wartsilaone

Hi Carl. I wrote IV to start with but changed it Don't know why now.
Apart from a few minor alterations to the windows, are they identical? I know the last two had different engines but which doesn't matter when it come to the model. Unless the funnels are different.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer

Hi
I agree the Townsend Thoresen livery were best, I like it when they had T T on the funnel .
Laburnum of Trans Eurpa Ferries looks good to

john

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer

I'll look for some Laburnum images John

Carl .......... That's all looking good  :-))

what foam are you using and where can I buy it on-line - I might just have a little practice try at that build method  ;)

Dave

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

IV and V were identical in all respects, VI had a large 'mushroom' vent on her fo'csle as did VII, and VII had her main mast repositioned to the rear deck to relieve stresses on the observation lounge roof. VIII also had the mod to the main mast, but her main difference was she was 6m longer in the bow.

A few pictures to illustrate:

cos918

• Full Mayhemer

LInk to all the livery of Free Enterprise V

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/FE5.html

John

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

I'll look for some Laburnum images John

Carl .......... That's all looking good  :-))

what foam are you using and where can I buy it on-line - I might just have a little practice try at that build method  ;)

Dave

Thanks Dave.......
The foam is under-floor insualation foam from Wickes.......havent tried ording it on-line myself. Mine came from a friend at the end of the South West Model Engineering Show at Shepton Mallet earlier this year - he was using it as a means of displaying his boats on the club stand to give them some elevation.  It is quite dense, but cuts and sands easily. Not expensive like the blue craft foam and comes in large slabs.

All : It is my intention to include some photographs of the different liveries carried by these ships, in the kit. However, for obvious reasons, I will only be including decals for Free Enerprise V.
C

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

LInk to all the livery of Free Enterprise V

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/FE5.html

John

That's a good link John - just be careful with the 3rd picture down in the list. There is something wrong with the colour on this picture as it shows a grey hull - and no Townsend vessel EVER had a grey hull 8) 8) 8)
C

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.

HI Carlmt, it is looking like it is going to be a super kit when finished. Will it have an opening bow like the original ?. I would be very interested in the kit , what are the dimensions & motor sizes, Mick B.
Mick B.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

Hi Mick - many thanks for the compliments  :-))

The f/g hull will have the markings for the opening bow door - it will be up to the modeller if they want to modify the kit to have it opening. I will include some ideas on how that may be possible in with the kit. Same with the stern ramp/door. Just please bear in mind that some form of waterproof bulkhead will be needed to prevent flooding of the car deck!!!

As for the 'particulars':
Overall length will be 1220mm (48.2")
Breadth - 200mm (7.8")
Target displacement - 5.7kg (12.8lbs)

As for motors, we are going to try 3 x 555 motors to provide smooth slow running and good torque.  It is looking like the shafts may have to be driven from the motors via a pulley and belt system as the shafts are horizontal and very close to the floor of the hull - but all this will be confirmed on the prototype.

The prototype will have working bow thrusters and bow rudder as these contribute enormously to the 'in harbour' handling.

Hope this helps answer some questions...................
Carl

wartsilaone

Carl. Do the real ships have a ramp behind the doors?

wartsilaone

I liked the bit about a watertight bulkhead preventing the car deck flooding. I had visions of lots of little Free Enterprise disasters.

A.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

Hi Ali,

No, the bow visor lifts up to reveal a pair of water-tight doors which open onto the main car/lorry deck. The linkspan ramp at the port would drop down and the 'fingers' of the ramp would rest on the flat edge of the car deck, in the opening.

At the stern, the flat door (seen in the 1st picture - of FE IV) is hinged along it's top edge and was raised horizontal to form a 'link ramp' from the upper car deck of the ship to the linkspan ramp of the port. Raising this door created an opening onto the main lorry deck below and, just like the bow arrangement, the linkspan 'fingers' would drop down and rest on the edge of the deck.

This was the arrangement when they used Dover, Zeebrugge and Calais.  When FEV was sold out to the Albania / Italy trade, she had an external stern ramp fitted and retained her stern door, but no longer used the upper car deck. She also no longer used the bow doors. There are no linkspan arrangements in the mediterranian / Greek ports, so all ex-Dover Straits ferrys sold into Med service have to have ramps fitted to link with the quay's - usually very ugly fitments which do nothing for the looks of the vessels............
C

wartsilaone

One less thing to think about I suppose. But then there's an operating linkspan to work out.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer

Hi Carl - have you got an image of the 'ugly' arrangement?

Dave

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

I liked the bit about a watertight bulkhead preventing the car deck flooding. I had visions of lots of little Free Enterprise disasters.

A.

Honestly Ali - this had been my biggest concern about producing ANY TT ferry.........how it would be viewed especially if (when?) a model sinks!!!!

I, personally, am fully aware of the circumstances of 'that night'......and would NEVER diminish the enormity or the impact of the event.

However, we dont question peoples 'morals' or such when they build models of the Titanic........or HMS Hood........or Bismarck.........

Maybe the time is much closer for the Zeebrugge disaster compared to the others.........

A difficult subject - that has to be handled sensitively and sensibly.........
C

PS
And yes, if there is no water-tight bulkhead, she WILL sink, even with the bow visor closed........as I doubt having it closed would create a good enough seal.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer

The world is full of disasters, and ones like the Titanic are I suppose almost 'celebrated'. Every car model produced has many individual disiasters attached, every plane model has crashed,evry train derailed etc etc. Daily life goes on - I think it is intent that is important here. You are not out to use the disaster so it shouldn't bear on your decision to build. Anyway that's how i see it.

Dave
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 23   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.