Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Townsend Thoresen Free Enterprise V / P&O Pride of Hythe - development of a kit.  (Read 280129 times)

cos918

• Full Mayhemer

John, just hold out for Carl's January sale  %)

Hi Hermann, welcome to Mayhem.

Dave
Now Dave
that sounds good , not sur what Carl will say LOL

john

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer

Bogof ? That's quite a common offer  %)

Dave

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models

{-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Just got back from the shipyard tonight - the concept version is coming along a treat!!! O0 O0

We have spotted a few typos and graphical errors on the drawings, and a couple of parts are 1 or 2mm too long or short....but now we know this, we can rectify the errors before the kits go into production.  We have also, whilst building the concept superstructure, discovered a better way or two for constructing it, compared to how I originally envisaged it being put together.  For instance, to get a better and more 'square' superstructure, it would be better to have more full 'cross bulkheads' as opposed to small individual wall parts where the superstructure changes direction. Far easier to build 90 degree angles with bigger parts than with fiddly little bits.

More photos soon  :-)) :-))

As for the January Sales..........I am sure that there will be a 'special introductory price' for the first ones down the slipway  ok2  .

But I will never tell my friends to 'bogof'  {-) {-) {-)

Pip pip
Carl 8)

Stavros

So Have you decided on a price on the kit as I am sure everone is dying to know so we can save our pennies up

Dave

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

Hi Dave - I am hoping to keep the kit price down to around the £400 mark.  At the moment, it certainly looks like I might be able to achieve that.

For that, you would get:
Fibreglass hull
Laser-cut styrene superstructure and deck parts
cast resin rudder and other smaller detailed parts (bits, bollards, winches etc.)
Etched brass fret containing companionways, window frames, railings and stanchions, grilles etc,
Vac formed lifeboats, funnel cap, bridge equipment cabinets, seats (internal for the observation lounge and external for the decks)
Wood strip and brass tube,
decals
propshafts, tubes and A-frames
brass props
11 x A1 sheets of drawings (both full sized and half sized - the half size being so because the detail will not fit on A1 at full size).
Instruction manual containing 3D assembly diagrams and suggested method and order of construction plus suggested radio and motor selection and installation.
CD containing photos of the build of the prototype plus photos of the real ship.

I think that's about it!!!

All the best,
Carl

Stavros

WOW thats a dammed good deal for anyone, and there is shuch a gap in the market for a ferry....irrronically I found a Townsend Thoresen Key ring today in a drawer upstairs as I used to go to france on them with my parents in the 70's Happy Days

Dave

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

Thanks for the encouraging endorsement Dave - I really appreciate it  :-))

Like you, I travelled with TT a lot during the 70's with my parents - that is why this particular ship is so special to me.....She epitomises the start of our family holidays......

Happy days  O0

Ferry cross the Mersey

• Full Mayhemer

Hi Dave & Carl,

Same here. The TT ferries were by far the best and as you've said the start of many a great holiday to France and beyond. Memories!!

Carl, if you achieve that price it will be the bargain of the century as I've seen small models of TT ferries on ebay go for £80 & £90. I very nearly bough a TT flag on there too but it went too high for me so we are not alone in having very fond memories of these fine ships.

Keep up the great work and it's so nice to see you making such progress.

Thanks Antony
Nothing right now. Waiting for the right project. Come on Carl. FEV on the horizon!!

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

Evening All...

Well, while the shipyard workers are busy on the slipway building the boat, the design office has been working hard on preparing the instruction book for the owners......

A few more shots of what to expect -

Additionally, the purchasing office has placed an order for all the outside deck bulkhead lights today - 30 side-looking LED's 9mm x 1.5mm x 1.5mm.  Just the perfect size for 1:96!

Carl 8)

wartsilaone

• Ferry Small Ships
  • Full Mayhemer
  • It was like that when I got here!
    • Ferry Small Ships

Beautiful Carl :-))
ferrysmallships.moonfriut.com

cos918

• Full Mayhemer

hi carl
very nice and clear. this will be a very useful  aid to the builder .

john

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot

A really excellent project Carl, love the 3D drawings - helps us newbies no end.  What will the overall finished size be?
                                    Regards, tony.
Sorry! just re-read the posts and found the dimensions.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer

Very professional Carl  O0
Just out of curiosity can you also draw? I mean a freehand artistic type drawing of her?

Dave

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

Hi Dave - me draw freehand? Not a chance mate!!!! Never have been able to.  Even when a nipper, I always drew with a straight edge in my hand - usually buses, trucks and buildings  %% %% %% .

Dad, on the other hand, is quite a talented artist:

Carl 8)

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

Such a glorious day, weather-wise, I thought I would pay a visit to the shipyard.

More progress on the superstructures - we have come across a couple of dimensional errors in the components; my drafting errors not building errors.  Only a millimetre or two here and there, but still........ Easily rectified before production.

Everything seems to fit together as expected (hoped for?).  We have found a different and easier way of putting some of the parts together, and this too will be reflected in the production kits.

Anyway, a few more progress photos for now.......

The rear crew canteen - windows still to be cut out. On the production kit they will be laser cut.

The components for B deck superstructures.

Coming together....

A deck added:

A deck superstructures:

This whole section is designed to be removable on the model to gain access to the interior of the ship:

More soon....

Carl 8)

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!

Both your Dad's watercolours and the model are superb Carl, looking really good.
Si:)
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

Ferry cross the Mersey

• Full Mayhemer

You've got a real talented family. Your dad's paintings are fantastic.

Thanks for the update. I'm glad all your hard work is paying off and you can see real progress on her. I bet you got a good feeling once you started putting the deck together.

Antony
Nothing right now. Waiting for the right project. Come on Carl. FEV on the horizon!!

deadwood

• Full Mayhemer

Dad, on the other hand, is quite a talented artist:

Hi Carl,

Your dad is a really gifted marine artist.

I especially love his water coloured drawing of QE2 berthing in front of the Liver Building.

The only QE2 drawing I have ever done wasn't freehand either.

Your ferry kit construction is making great progress.
Carry on  with your superb work.

Regards,
Ralph

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer

Hi Carl

My vote goes to Ellerman's City of Port Elizabeth  :-)) On the other hand behind the QE2 and Liver Building you can also see the Port of Liverpool building where I worked as a young lad.

Great work on your project too. It is really interesting to see you picking up faults and ammending build methods.

Dave

wartsilaone

• Ferry Small Ships
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Ferry Small Ships

It's coming on great Carl,

Is there anything you've had to shape and cut out using extra styrene or is everything you see in the photos part of the kit?
Looks pretty comprehensive ether way. It's about time us ferry modellers had more than just a shell to work with.
Judging by your fine work I'm going to enjoy building the Norland.

Keep those shipyard workers happy Carl, they are doing a great job.

Ali

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

Cheers for the comments guys - the shipyard workers are much more confident about what they are doing now, especially once they got their hands on the 3D drawings  %) .

Ali - All that is shown so far is straight from the kit - all except the Crew Canteen wrap around part mentioned above.  This was going to be a fibreglass part to be fitted, but once we were into the build, it became obvious that a f/g part was not really needed as the shape can easily be formed from 1mm styrene wrapped around the stern of the two decks, with the rear edge of the superstructure between the decks giving additional support.

As we dont have a hull yet, the decks and superstructures are being built on flat boards.  You may notice some strips of styrene under the decks - these give the necessary sheer to the decks to allow the superstructure parts to fit properly.  On the finished kit, this sheer will be formed by glueing wooden strips to the hull sides at the appropriate level (dims given on the plans) which, when the decks are glued to them, will give the required sheer fore and aft.

So far, so good............

Carl 8)

wartsilaone

• Ferry Small Ships
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Ferry Small Ships

Sounds good Carl,

The kit has a scratch built look to it which I love. I also love your choice in material. Styrene is the best stuff!
The best bit is if I break something (which I'm sure I will) I can make a new part using what I've got floating around my work desk.

some of my words keep underlining themselves, Ignore that.

Ali

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

Work has progressed at the shipyard - beginning to look like a ship now  :-))

Just wish there was a hull...... %)

Carl

cos918

• Full Mayhemer

Hi Carl
very nice. the windows do look top quality. You are real going for a top end kit on both quality and speck.

John

wartsilaone

• Ferry Small Ships
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Ferry Small Ships

I'm loving your work Carl.

I would buy one of these in a heart beat but I save the pennies and the space for an example of your next project.
The decking on the bridge wing looks great.

Ali
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.