Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Townsend Thoresen Free Enterprise V / P&O Pride of Hythe - development of a kit.  (Read 280070 times)

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models

Ha ha!!!!  {-)   I hear yer Derek......

On the real ship - yes, the frames are most definietly structural, but on this model they have no need to be.  On the real ship the shaft would pass through bearings in the frame to prevent, as you say, whipping.  But on this model, with only M2 shafts, it has been decided to continue the prop tubes right to the back of the prop.  This will give a scale look of the shaft (a 2mm shaft scaled up by 96 (model scale) is roughly half the size of a real shaft) when it is in fact the tube.  And because it is the tube that is projecting, fixed at the point where it exits the hull and also fixed in the hull near the motor, there is little chance of the shaft whipping.  Hence my use of the term 'non-structural'.

We did a similar arrangement on an model of HMS Victorious with M2 shafts.  The A frames were just made from plastic tube with a couple of legs attached and the legs epoxied to the hull.  It hasnt come apart in 10 years yet.

Luckily, this is the prototype so, if it fails, we can change our plans  :-))

Many thanks for taking an interest though Derek - I really do appreciate the feedback, comments and discussion as, this way, we should be able to produce a better kit  O0

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

Big Day tomorrow - first test sail of the Free Enterprise V  %%  at Knightcote Model Boat Club open day  :-))

Fingers crossed for good weather. 

This is just a test sail to see about weight, motor power, battery selection etc.  No superstructures on her yet - or paint!!!!

If anyone is interested and visits the open day, please do come and say 'hello'  O0
Carl

cos918

• Full Mayhemer

Hi Carl
good luck . Wind can blows ferries around abit.

john

hama

• Full Mayhemer

Hello my friend!
Good to see your back at it, I understand some progress was made while you were away?
Looking forward to see some pictures from your tests.
Best regards to both of you!
Hama

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

Hi Hakan!!!  :-)

Yes - dad has done a fair bit whilst we were away, but he didn't want to go too far without consulting me about some details.

Fingers crossed for a successful day.  Photos and short video will be posted when we get back.

Was great to meet up with you a couple of weeks ago - we still cannot get over the wonderful time we had in Stockholm - and I just cannot stop thinking about the design for the model of Dalaro!!!!!

Will write, soon, a more detailed mail - off to the pond now!!!
Friendly regards,
Carl (and Flo)

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

She floats!!!!!!!!!!!! :-))

I was extremely nervous putting her on the water for the first time, but she stayed level and even though there was a bit of a breeze she didn't get blown about.

Observations - ideally, the outer motors should be linked to the rudder control for far better manoeuvring, although I think that the choice of 12v to power her is too much.  Just 2 clicks on the throttle lever was enough to get her moving realistically, but it didn't leave much for fine control.  Any more power added through the throttle meant that she just 'took off' - too unrefined.  Will try 6v now. However, the centre prop falling off might have had something to do with a lack of directional control!!!!  %)

She was ballasted down to expected finished waterline and took 3.5kg in addition to 2 x 12v batteries and 3 x motors.  Obviously, we will need to subtract the superstructure and fittings weight.

Short video to follow - just as soon as I can figure a way of uploading it!!!!!  O0

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

cos918

• Full Mayhemer

very very nice Carl. well done. On Celestine sea trials i tried 3 different battery voltages and found 12v was to fast and 6v did not have power in reserve for string winds . A 7.4v lipo was  a perfect compromise. . Can wait to see her with some paint on her hull .

john

Howard

• Full Mayhemer

It's looking great so far Carl you must be feeling very good that all the hard work and long nights with little sleep is now paying off.

Regards Howard.

hama

• Full Mayhemer

Nice!!
Congratulations!
Hama

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem

:-)) :-)) :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer

Very majestic.    She sails well.      :-))

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

Got to keep warm at the pond-side......and present a good image at the shows and exhibitions!!!!

My good lady wife, and the other half of Linkspan Models, Florence modelling our new fleece!!!!

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

A bit more development work in the workshop this last week......

Sorting out the support structure for the complicated superstructure at the bow of the ship.  This curves in all directions.....

Had all the parts (except the outer 'skin') laser cut in 1mm styrene:

which then builds into the basic skeleton:

This was then checked against the second hull to ensure that it actually fitted!!!

Success!!! Although this was by no means guaranteed - the superstructure is CAD designed and machine cut, whereas the hull is handmade........

To give the skin a little more area to glue to, additional scrap styrene was glued to the upright parts:

Once all this was dry, a paper template was taken of the skin to be fitted, scanned into the cad program and then sent to the laser cutter.  Just waiting for this to come back now and I can finish this little job  :-))

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

A little while back, I spend a rather 'enjoyable' few days cutting the window openings in the hull of the prototype.  A discussion ensued on here as to the best way to represent the rain drip that ran around the windows.  Well, on the first prototype, I filed the windows and the raindrip was depicted by leaving a very thin sliver of fibreglass/gelcoat around the window opening:

It was reasonably successful, but very prone to errors and the gelcoat chipping.  Folk here suggested creating a separate part for the window frame that could be inserted after cutting the window opening.  Well, I took this on board and created the 3D models to have the frames printed:

From these 3D originals, I took numerous resin castings, and can report that this method is a far more successful way of depicting these distinctive windows.

As the windows on the first prototype are done, I have started to cut out the openings on the second. Firstly, they are rough-drilled:

Then filed back until the resin part just fits.  Keep trying the resin frame in the opening until it is a sliding fit:

These are the resin window frames:

And this is the result:

For glazing, I have ordered a set of laser-cut acrylic windows which will fit exactly in the openings.  More on that when I get them.

I think you will agree, it look far better with the resin frames..................

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

paid a visit to the shipyard today to see the progress on the first prototype.  Well, things are moving along nicely  :-))

I will let the pictures do the talking.............

Not too shabby!!!!!!!! :-)

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs

Really nice!
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Ferry cross the Mersey

• Full Mayhemer

Stunning Carl, she is looking superb  :-))  This is going to one h*ll of a kit. Well done on a brilliant job so far  ok2

Thanks Antony
Nothing right now. Waiting for the right project. Come on Carl. FEV on the horizon!!

Howard

• Full Mayhemer

The last two replys say it all Carl Its been a joy just watching your baby grow I think Martin  may be looking  to add you to the master class you get my vote.
                  Regards Howard.

senlac

• Shipmate

Excellent job  :-))  Can't wait to see the final result!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer

Yes Carl....I have enjoyed this thread from day 1  :-))

One question......I now see the propellers are inward/inboard rotation....this rotational question has been a topic of mention in the past months O0

I can only assume the real vessel driven this way?....... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer

She's looking really nice, Excellent stuff keep it up  :-))

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

Thanks for the encouragement chaps  :-))

Yes Derek - the model props are running exactly as per the original.....except the falling off of course!!!!

Little update today - It's amazing what modern technology can do!!! Just had the interior seats for the observation lounge on the Free Enterprise V delivered....1:96 scale and 3D printed.  We produced the original file in Sketchup, then uploaded that to Shapeways where their multi-thousand pound 3D printing machines managed to work their miracles!!!! No way could we produce this by hand..... The black & white photo is of the original lounge back in the 1970's:

Due to the cost (about £15 delivered from Shapeways) I wont be including these in the kit as standard - it just pushes the cost up unnecessarily.  If the modeller wants it for their ship, then they will be available on the Shapways site under 'Linkspan Models' or, if they don't have access to the internet, they can ask for it when ordering and I will supply it.  All the other 3D printed parts that will be included in the kit will also be available on the Shapeways site for sale, should the modeller lose or break anything.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer

Really nice - the window option does appear to be a better way of doing it and glazed will be amazing, the internal seats show the limitation of the material they are printed in, quite how could I put it, powdery, some of the guns shapeways do, appear to have better definition and if the seats were in the same material would probably have the injection moulding quality finish, hidden inside the ship this is probably not an issue, on the deck though with passengers bums on seats, that is a totally different matter.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

You are quite right re the seats Warspite.  If these were printed in 'FUD' (frosted ultra detail), they would be a lot smoother but the cost would go up.  In the current material the unit costs £15.82, in FUD it would be £22.19.  Not a massive difference.  I have to print another for the second prototype, so will do that in FUD to see how it goes.

These seats are only used internally.  The external benches, which contain the lifejackets, will be supplied as resin castings.

The material isn't actually powdery, what you see is the layers of the plastic build up, but the seats are so small and delicate that there is nowt can be done to smooth them off.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 22 queries.