Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Townsend Thoresen Free Enterprise V / P&O Pride of Hythe - development of a kit.  (Read 280090 times)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!

Wowsers! I have just spent the evening reading the log of your project and am impressed with the degree of input and thoroughness you have put into this project. Re master making, I can recomend 'Modlab' or Chemiwood. This is a resin/wood dust compound that can be machined, drilled and cut like wood or other polymers. It can also be carved and sanded very very smooth. I use it for blocks, but I have cut slivers off that are about .75mm thick before now. It is worth considering for the parts like the rudder skeg that gave you much jip back a while.

This project must have been a real adventure for you Carl and wish you all the best for when Linkspan's first product is released.

Are you planning to release any kits of ferrys that could have been leased by the British army to ship equipment in times of conflict?

Pond weed is your enemy

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models

Thanks for the encouraging remarks folks....it is much appreciated  :-))

As for future plans of ferries - especially those connected with the military - our next project (of which the hull plug is under construction and drawings advanced) is the Norland, which was famously linked with the Falklands conflict.  If there are others that are of interest, please do let me know  O0 .

Been back to the shipyard today to see progress on the first prototype.  Coming along nicely I would say.  A few issues with the front 'wrap-around' superstructure that faces over the bow but now that I know what these are, I can modify the parts and make recommendations in the instructions as to how to go about building this - quite complex - structure.

Here are some shots from today's visit:

Overall view with some of the original 'test' parts just dropped on for effect:

The complex front superstructure that has given us some headaches to get right:

And with the distinctive roof glued in place and held with tape:

This roof part will be supplied slightly over-size to compensate for variances in the fibreglass hull.  Once the glue has fully dried, the sides can be sanded back to the hull sides and the inner face can be curved to meet up with the inner face of the bulwarks.

This is the same area on the real ship:

The access ladder and hole in the roof will be cut through once everything has dried solid.

A general 'bow-on' shot:

And now a general view of the port side:

Either this week or next a bit of colour will be added to the hull... :-))

Now to prepare the lifeboats and funnel for vac-forming...........

Howard

• Full Mayhemer

Your dream is coming alive Carl your making a amazing job of it keep the photo's coming mate.
                                   Regards Howard.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer

Definitly. It takes a lot of enthusiasm and dedication to take your hobby and turn it into a business so I salute you Carl.
Pond weed is your enemy

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

Cheers chaps!!!!  :-))   :-))   :-))

First public outing, where she can be seen sailing - along with examples of the laser-cut elements, fittings, etched brass and drawings - will be at the Deans Marine Open Weekend on the 12th & 13th September.

Do come along and say 'Hi'.....  O0   O0

Howard Q

• Full Mayhemer

Hello Carlmt.
I have been watching the progress of the Ferry you are constructing, the work you are and have been putting into the development of this model is exceptional, I have built a 1950s ferry at 1/48th scale and at the moment building up a dossier on a 1998 RoPax vessel both local ships, but the sight of your model has certainly whetted my appetite for your model when production commences, we had a Townsend ferry operating to and from the Isle of man for a short while so she will compliment my love for the Merchant fleet, keep the information on the website please.
Howard Q

GrahamD

• Full Mayhemer

Looks a nice model.

Believe it or not my interest (one of many) in boats is partly due to being a passenger on the fated TT FE when it sank. Can laugh now but couldnt for many years (Very, Very long story)

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

2 weeks to go until the Open Weekend at Deans Marine and progress on the FEV is rolling along!!!!

The first prototype will actually be in her later P&O livery when she was named Pride of Hythe - the second prototype, with all the 'bugs' ironed out, will actually be the Free Enterprise V in the Townsend Thoresen livery.

So far, all the main superstructures are now built, but we are leaving the roof loose on the bridge and observation lounge for the show so that folk can get an idea of the detailing that will be possible:

A few passengers have now taken up residence in the observation lounge:

And the Officers and AB's are getting the ship ready to sail:

In addition, we have nearly completed the designs of all the 3D printed fittings for this model - the most complex being the forward combined mooring and anchor windlasses :

These will be complete models in themselves, only requiring detailing and painting.  They are with Shapeways now for printing in FUD.

Just a few jobs to do now:- get the funnel and lifeboats vac formed, triple-check the drawings, get the packing boxes made and delivered and finally write the build instructions!!!!

See you at the Deans Marine show?  :-))

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer

Is that a radial air motor driving the winch Carl? Interesting. The prototype looks excellent and I wish you a good weekend of sailing and talking to prospective customers.
Pond weed is your enemy

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer

Ian....that large 5 piston radial motor shown will be a hydraulic piston type = hi torque @ low speed, pneumatic radial motors need high speed so tend to be vane construction, then geared down to provide the required torque .... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer

Thanks for that information.
Pond weed is your enemy

hama

• Full Mayhemer

Wow Carl, great progress! Wish I could be at the open days for your first show, but I'll see the pictures here!
Your dream soon comes true, wish you all the best!
Hama

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club

Hi Carlmt

This has come such a long way, cant wait to see her on the water, will await price for the kit, any idea what time scale for production????

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

Thank you all  :-)) :-)) :-))

Well, as you may have seen in another thread, we were at the Deans Marine Open Weekend just gone and what a cracking time we had.  As well as modellers from the UK, there were those that made the trip from Belgium and Germany too!!! And this isn't just a 'one off' - they are regular attendees....and the standard of their modelling is first class  O0 O0 .

We had the Linkspan stand on display for the first time and the prototype was on the table, along with examples of the fittings, the etched brass, laser-cut sheets and the drawings.  The plug for the Norland was there too along with some information about the other forthcoming releases (more info on them soon  ;) ).

Despite the windy weather at times, we managed to sail the prototype a number of times over the weekend with no problems at all.  The wind didn't seem to bother her stability although she was blown sideways a bit by some of the gusts.  This first boat only has 2 channels - rudder and power - but for full manoeuvrability she really needs a mixer on the outer two props and a bow thruster.  A working bow rudder would complete the set!!!

We met the famous Martin for the first time and I thank him for his excellent photographs that he has published on the Deans open day thread elsewhere in the forum.

Here are a few of mine - albeit only taken with my ropey camera phone - but I think they convey how she sits in the water:

One of our German visitors was so fascinated by the model, it would have been rude not to let him waggle the sticks!!!

I have to say, he is a very skilled r/c sailor!!! He was manoeuvring her about far better than either I or dad could!!!!

Finally, here is a link to a little video I took - unfortunately because of only having just 2 channels the best we could do was to sail in a circle.........the wind also didn't help!!!

https://youtu.be/rbQKGPCchFo

Now I just have to sort out the packaging, have the laser cutting machine delivered, finish the instructions and a few other odds and sods and the kit will be ready!!!!

Price wise??? Most likely just under the £500 mark  ;)

Exciting times.. :-))

Ferry cross the Mersey

• Full Mayhemer

Fantastic Carl, she looks beautiful  :-))

As I said in previous posts it's been worth the wait, very well done  :-)

Just seen the Arthur Lowe film which is brilliant too.

Do we going to order via your website or PM?

Thanks Antony
Nothing right now. Waiting for the right project. Come on Carl. FEV on the horizon!!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer

That is a wonderful blank canvas for many interesting company colour schemes carl. £500 for that level of shape and quality is a good price.

She does sail nicely, and despite the wind, she looks very stable and graceful.
Pond weed is your enemy

cos918

• Full Mayhemer

hi Carl
looks like you had fun at the weekend. I am gutted I could not make it but got to go on 2 real ferries . Can wait to see her at Warwick.

see you soon
john

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

Fantastic Carl, she looks beautiful  :-))

As I said in previous posts it's been worth the wait, very well done  :-)

Just seen the Arthur Lowe film which is brilliant too.

Do we going to order via your website or PM?

Thanks Antony

Hi Antony - Thanks for the encouragement!!! Yes, it has been a long slog, and many thanks for hanging in there and having the patience to wait for me.  Hoping to get the website up and running very soon now.  Folk will be able to order through there, or via PM and / or email.  Paypal or cheques will be fine to start with as I have no card facilities yet.....but all this will be announced properly later when I have spoken to Martin (our Leader  O0 ) about 'regularising' our advertising on here and becoming a bona fide trader.  Need to actually cost out the kit properly yet to finally fix the price!!!!

Is that a light I see at the end of the tunnel?????  %%

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

That is a wonderful blank canvas for many interesting company colour schemes carl. £500 for that level of shape and quality is a good price.

She does sail nicely, and despite the wind, she looks very stable and graceful.

Thank you Ian  O0 .  With a ferry, you can let your imagination run riot if you are not too bothered about originality!!! Just check out the Moby fleet:

Yes, she seems very stable...and I am glad that we can appear to debunk the myth that ferries do not make good sailing models.  Obviously, in a howling gale she will get blown about...but which ship wouldn't?  And regardless of the type of ship, I am quite protective of my models and wouldn't subject them to abuse on the water in rough weather.

As for price, we are using the 'Jaguar' principle........'How can they build the quality for the price?'  This was a common journalistic quote used to describe Jaguar cars in their heyday of the 1950's and 60's.

:-))

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

hi Carl
looks like you had fun at the weekend. I am gutted I could not make it but got to go on 2 real ferries . Can wait to see her at Warwick.

see you soon
john
We will be at Warwick John - on the Knightcote MBC stand.  Looking forward to seeing your Celestine on the water too!!! maybe we can persuade the master of ceremonies to have a 'ferries' slot for 20 minutes if there are a few of us there?

See you soon friend  :-))

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer

Hoping to get the website up and running very soon now.

Got it bookmarked in anticipation.  O0 :-))

Regards,

Ray.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer

Sorry Carl.......couldn't resist......  ;D... Derek

PS........ Captain Ray.......how can you book mark something that doesn't exist?............... {-)
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Ferry cross the Mersey

• Full Mayhemer

[quotePS........ Captain Ray.......how can you book mark something that doesn't exist?............... {-)

But it does exist http://www.linkspanmodels.co.uk  :-))
Nothing right now. Waiting for the right project. Come on Carl. FEV on the horizon!!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer

Thank you Ian  O0 .  With a ferry, you can let your imagination run riot if you are not too bothered about originality!!! Just check out the Moby fleet:

Yes, she seems very stable...and I am glad that we can appear to debunk the myth that ferries do not make good sailing models.  Obviously, in a howling gale she will get blown about...but which ship wouldn't?  And regardless of the type of ship, I am quite protective of my models and wouldn't subject them to abuse on the water in rough weather.

As for price, we are using the 'Jaguar' principle........'How can they build the quality for the price?'  This was a common journalistic quote used to describe Jaguar cars in their heyday of the 1950's and 60's.

:-))

NOOOOOOOOOO <:( Don't go there Carl. BMC used the shitest cheap steel to press the bodies from, which means that today, a rust free un restored Jag is one built post 1970s! Don't compare your excellent model with cost cutting and poor materials associated with sixties and seventies material quality. In the fifties there seemed to be a different beleif as I think the XK120s etc were better made.
Pond weed is your enemy

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

Ian - you hit the nail on the head mate!!!

You will note I said 50's & 60's....................Jaguars were certainly NOT built well in the 70's and the 80's weren't much better.... {:-{
For the standards of the day, the successful 'manager' in business could happily afford to buy a car from Jaguar knowing that he was getting a luxury car to match the likes of Daimler and such but with a far superior performance - all at a price which defied logic at the time.  Of course, all this was in the time of ownership under Sir William Lyons....and he ruled the roost!!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.