Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Townsend Thoresen Free Enterprise V / P&O Pride of Hythe - development of a kit.  (Read 280091 times)

midori gaoka

• Full Mayhemer

Très belle réalisation,
Very well done, it would be a beautifull kit. You could be pround to achieve your project. Would you  join a DVD with photos Inside ?
Sylvain

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem

Laser cutting etc. separated out , here:   http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,53245.0.html
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models

Très belle réalisation,
Very well done, it would be a beautifull kit. You could be pround to achieve your project. Would you  join a DVD with photos Inside ?
Sylvain

Thank you Martin - I will just reinstate my reply to Sylvain  :-))

Thank you Sylvain  :-))

Yes, a CD containing ALL the photographs taken of the prototype construction will be included.

Unfortunately, due to copyright issues, I cannot include photographs of the real ship but these are plentiful on the web - after all, that is where I got nearly all mine from!

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.

thank you Martin, I did ask in one of the replies.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

Just a quick update!

We haven't been lazy or slacking in the background - contrary to the lack of posts on here - but, to date, there has been little positive to post.  We have been somewhat frustrated by our website payments account provider over the last couple of months such that we have had to start the process again.  Andy (Dreadnought) has built a great website and is now awaiting a 'conversation' with the techies at the provider end to build the 'checkout' page - and then we should be good to launch.  Speaking to the 'provider' today, we should have a decision within 5 days and then it will be down to Andy and the techies to pull it all together.

The first kits are ready - just need to be boxed up!

As soon as the website is live, we will announce it here  :-))

Additionally, we are off to Dortmund in April for the Intermodellbau.  Should be an 'interesting' experience - and we will be in the tender care of Ron Dean (Deans Marine) and our friends at the Peterborough Area Model Boat Club.  Really looking forward to this trip and learning all about the modelling scene in Germany and the rest of Europe.

Getting excited now!!!
Carl  :-))

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs

:-))  watch this space!

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer

As soon as the website is live, we will announce it here  :-))

Getting excited now!!!
Carl  :-))

Very much looking forward to it Carl. O0 :-))

Regards,

Ray.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!

Have a good time Carl.
Pond weed is your enemy

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer

Yes have a good time visiting Carl.
If you see any nice Ulstein X-Bow models can you take a few pix please  :}

Dave

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

Yes have a good time visiting Carl.
If you see any nice Ulstein X-Bow models can you take a few pix please  :}

Dave

Thanks all  :-))

And yes Dave - I will have a gander for your X-Bow.  Cameras will be fully charged!!!

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

At last!!!!!
Paypal have approved our application for the card hosting service and payment system for the website - it has only taken them months!!!!  >>:-( <*<

Over to Andy now to work his magic on the website - and try and make some sense of the gobbledygook that they have provided to integrate it all - at least, it is complete gibberish to me!!!  %%

For those who do not like paypal, there will be the normal debit/credit card payment option alongside.  The paypal button is there because they are hosting the payments - we at Linkspan cannot comply with the financial regulation obligations to 'host' it ourselves and, to be honest, we would rather the privacy of the card details is kept with the card holder - we will never see the details.

It has been a long road, but I think we are nearly there now!!
Carl O0

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer

The excitement is building up, Linkspan is in the "favourites", just waiting for the big announcement. :-))

Regards,

Ray.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

Cheers Ray  :-))

And many, many thanks to ALL who have either helped, encouraged or contributed to us getting this little venture down the slipway and into the water. In many ways it has all been invaluable and I sincerely thank you.

I cant quite believe that we are so close now....

Howard

• Full Mayhemer

Hi Carl,
   So pleased to see all that hard work has now payed off and you can now start planing another one.
     good look with all the sales and looking forward to seeing some soon on the water.
               Regards Howard.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

Thank you Howard - you are too kind Sir!!!  Just as soon as the website is finished, we should be up and running  :-)) .

A little progress update on the prototype - with the Dortmund show looming over the horizon, we are trying to complete the Pride of Hythe for display.  Not much left now......finish off the railings and shipping the lifeboats (and add further detail to them), then she shall be ready to receive her passengers:

:-))

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club

Hi Mate, hope you have a sucsessful show at Dortmund, with luck selling dozens of kits

Regards

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer

Likewise carl, I wish you a profitable week in Germany.
Pond weed is your enemy

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem

Hi Carl,

Sorry completely forgot to upload this for you!  -
https://youtu.be/yR2B2xgcdME
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer

That was a demonstration to behold.

Note: The wasp (1.50 into the video) could have caused a calamity - PHEW! :o

...oh, and thanks for posting the link Martin. :-))

Regards,

Ray.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

Hi Carl,

Sorry completely forgot to upload this for you!  -
https://youtu.be/yR2B2xgcdME

Thank you Martin!!!!  :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

I had quite forgotten about that - excellent camera work!  Would you mind if I copied that onto the CD of photographs that I will include with the kit?  It demonstrates very clearly how the superstructure is removed to gain access to the internals (although the roof to the bridge and observation lounge is designed to be fixed in the kit).

As for the wasp - I hadn't realised that he had made an appearance at the time.  Could have been 'interesting' if the beggar had stung me whilst holding the model aloft!!!!  :o

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer

Did the wasp put an order in? I saw its little wallet bulging:O)

Seriously though, that is a very extensive kit. I like the options you have to superdetail the decks and the fact they provide lots of places to stop the water, so saving your electronics from all but the most serious of dousings.

Excellent!
Pond weed is your enemy

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

Did the wasp put an order in? I saw its little wallet bulging:O)

Seriously though, that is a very extensive kit. I like the options you have to superdetail the decks and the fact they provide lots of places to stop the water, so saving your electronics from all but the most serious of dousings.

Excellent!

{-) {-)  He certainly seemed to have a close enough look Ian!!!!

As for the decks, because the car deck is open at the stern I felt that it needed the chance for the modeller to detail it to their heart's content.  I have many photos of the external and car decks for this vessel so they will be included on a CD.  Because the car deck is open, this caused me some headache figuring out how to make it look presentable while at the same time including for access down to the motors etc.  Once the top structure and then the intermediate decks are removed it is quite easy to get quite a large hand down and into the hull - from the stern all the way up to the bow.
As for the upper, internal, decks - it will be up to the modeller as to how far they want to go with the detailing.  The instructions will include a note as to how to go about ordering the 3D printed Observation Lounge seating and Bridge detail unit directly from Shapeways should they want it.  Unfortunately, they are a little pricey (relative to the other 3D fittings) and it would have pushed the initial cost of the kit up too much to have included them as standard.  The Bridge and the Observation Lounge have quite large windows so internal detail would be quite visible - especially if there is internal lighting as well.

Here are a few snaps taken just now - lifeboats shipped.....now finishing off the railings.  Seats are just placed on the deck at the moment:

The blue "P&O" logo still has its carrier sheet attached.  When applying these graphics, you have to leave the carrier sheet on for a while (I generally leave it overnight) to allow the adhesive on the graphic to 'do its stuff' before removing the carrier sheet otherwise, if you try to remove it beforehand, the graphic will come away as well.  These are David Leftley Graphics and very good they are too. 

Onwards!!!!!!!!!!! :-))

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer

And upwards! You could offer a 'Deluxe' kit with them included? After all, you would be offering some very special extras for the price as the prints look great. Though I expect you brain stormed this put months back so ignore my gibberings!!!!
Pond weed is your enemy

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!

she looks a beautiful kit and so much work going into it's development.

well done.

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

Thank you for all your kind comments friends  O0 .
It has been a long, hard and sometimes frustrating road to get to this stage but, as of today, I think we can say that the prototype for the Free Enterprise V kit is now finished!
I have thoroughly enjoyed developing this model - and whilst, as I said, some aspects were frustrating it has all gone to add to my knowledge and experience to create the second kit.  I have learned a hell of a lot.  Some things I will do differently - the plug construction being one - and others have been a resounding success.  This model represents quite a few thousand pounds of investment - but I consider it an investment well worth while to be able to offer something different to the ship modelling fraternity in the UK and around the world.
I have had plenty of encouragement from the community on here from the beginning and on Facebook over the past year and I thank you all.
In addition, I would like to especially thank those members of the Model Boat Trade who have unstintingly given encouragement and advice and their valuable time to impart their knowledge and wisdom which has helped us enormously.  In particular, I would like to mention Ron Dean of Deans Marine who has helped, advised and encouraged without question and has freely given of his time in answering my many questions - thank you sincerely Ron.....see you in Dortmund next week.
So - finally - here she is........on the waters of our local canal:

With a bit of luck and a fair wind (and after a lot of hard work from Andy (dreadnought72), we hope to make an announcement tomorrow about the website  :-)) .

Has it all been worth it?
You bet it has!!!!!!  O0 O0 O0
See you in Dortmund or, if not, then at Weeksteed in a few week's time  :-))
Carl
Linkspan Models
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.