Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: An ickle film shot at last years Summer Dive-in at St Albans Sub Aqua Club.  (Read 5942 times)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines

A five minute film i shoot at last years Summer Dive-in. This years event will take place over a whole weekend in June on the 1tth and 12th, both days 10am until 4pm. As you can see the pool water is very clear with visibility right down to the bottom and minimal chlorine content.

More details at our website- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk

Andy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hod7yqYqMg

silent running556

Fascinating aren't they. Any U boats there?

thegrimreaper

Their was a U47 at the last dive in

Regards Mark

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer

The type of models we get hinges on who turns up on the day. We had a very wide selection of models at the event, but u-boats were less plentiful, with most models being U.S, Russian, British, French or non-military based boats. We did get a Type VII and a Seehund at the Summer event, which is a midget u-boat. At previous events, we have had Type XXI, Type VII and Biber  class u-boats, and we should be seeing a modern day u-boat, a Type 212 and perhaps a U47 (Type VII) at the next Dive-in which is held at Brockwell Lido on Sunday 27th March 2011.

Come along and have a gander.

Andy

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines

Roy has a good working U47 that should be at Brockwell. I think he was looking to move it on, so if you are looking for a working one rather than a kit ...

silent running556

Any footage of it at all? 8)

silent running556

Has anyone tried making obstacle courses or something for these Subs? Onyone tried the white Lotus from 007 yet?

thegrimreaper

what like they do with the flags on ski sunday na we have problems finding a lake/pool on a slope lol :o {-)

silent running556

Which one's my elbow again? {-)

thegrimreaper

try this link silent running some obsticle course this is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsR8kkvUZno

silent running556

Interesting i was thinking of a competion between clubs perhaps through hoops etc in relay races sort of thing, just seems a bit wafty otherwise.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer

I've got some hoops. Can't seem to persuade anyone to go and put them in and retrieve them at the end of the day though!  ok2

Just in case anyone is wondering, that last video wasn't shot at a Dive-in. 

Davy1

Barrow in Furness MBC have developed a nice little contest over the years. A timed course round a series of buoys (including one dive).You have to repeat it and the one closest to their original time wins. Works well, see it at the Barrow Sub day in September.

At the swimming pool at Merstham, you traverse the length of the pool without propulsion. You dive and glide down, if you see what I mean. This is the basis for the Bernie Woods Trophy from the AMS. You will see it at the swimming pool, Merstham show, May 21 and 22nd.

No depth charges and no swimmers though!

silent running556

Nice ideas, it would allow technique and ability to be tested and maybe a prize of some kind at the end of it?
Ya never know, something might come of it yet. 8)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer

I'm inclined to keep things simple. Most people who come along to the Dive-ins are just happy to get the opportunity to dive their boat in clear deep water- it's like underwater flying.

I see you're just up the road from the venue for the Summer event in June, so will we be seeing you there?

hollowhornbear

agree with subculture, although if you want to test your ability and technique why not enter a scale steering competition? oh and complete it submerged at periscope depth and scale speed!  %% :} :}

silent running556

If i can get my u boat finished by then i'd like to. I don't mean there's anything wrong with what is already done, but as some people have been doing this stuff alot longer than beginners like myself they might like the idea of a little more challenge, if everyone's happy as is no problems. 8)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer

Well come along as a spectator if you're not done. It's only a quid if you're not sailing, and you can grab a cold one from the bar, and chill out by the poolside.

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines

And you'll pick up plenty of tips, and see how others have solved problems. There bound to be at least a couple of them, they are popular boats.

Davy1

Plenty more nice submarine events for you on:

http://associationofmodelsubmariners.com/forthcoming-events.php

Could I also recommend the sub days arranged by the Norwich Model Boat Club, in the past this had the best turn out of submarines I've seen in the UK. They have a fantastic purpose built boating pond.

I don't have any dates for it yet. (But perhaps someone from Norwich on this forum could oblige.) (I am not a member etc. but I have been impressed by the show in the past.)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer

Anyone tried the white Lotus from 007 yet?

Yes it has been done. A modeller in Germany converted the little 1/18th scale Autoart model into a diving version. There is another modeller in France building a larger version from scratch, but AFAIK it isn't operational yet.

Another modeller in the US really went to town and had a 3D CAD model created with a view to having a 1/8th scale master CNC machined and then epoxy composite tooling created from that.

Never heard of it going beyond the 3D modelling stage however.

The original was converted by Perry submersibles, and they had problems keeping the thing from constantly diving. Because the shape of the Lotus Esprit was designed to produce downforce to maximise grip on the road, this created a hydrodynamic issue, and if you look at the clips in the movie, you can see the operators constantly had the hydrovanes set to surface the boat.

silent running556

My new U-47 came this morning so i've been nosing through the plans etc and seeing how many new pairs of boxers i'll be needing in the near future. :embarrassed: I've got another list of stuff to get yet though.
I'm struggling a little to get the glues they recommend to use

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer

Best to start a new thread, mate.

They recommend Stabilit express for that kit I believe,as it bonds ABS very well.

This is a modified acrylic adhesive, which sticks like the proverbial to a blanket- you can also use Deluxe Fusion or Devcon plastic welder, which are just as good IMO, and a bit cheaper. Uhu do an acrylic glue too, but the name escapes me.

Andy

silent running556

Thanks mate, i've been looking around Hobbycraft for these glues but they've not got these exact ones, they did have the ones you mentioned though i think, but i'm sure there are cheaper shops then them with it.
I'll thry as you said and start another thread, just thought people might be a bit funny about yet another u-47 thread. :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.