Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Edge Painting  (Read 2611 times)

Catalina

Edge Painting
« on: February 25, 2007, 05:47:03 am »

Does anyone have a good method of achieving a neat paint line between deck and hull sides of different colours?  Can't avoid colour bleed when using masking tape on the sharp edge, with either spray or hand application of paint. Comments appreciated.

MCR

Re: Edge Painting
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 10:23:28 am »

If you mask and then paint over using the first colour any bleed will not show then over paint using the second colour

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 12:38:51 pm »

If you are getting bleed with masking tape then it sounds like there is something wrong.  Try differrent tapes and experiment with different tack levels.

One of the best is the Tamiya masking tape, specialy made for modelling.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

slewis

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 02:47:09 pm »

3M fine line tape is good stuff a razor edge and low tack as well . its available in a range of widths from places like Brown Brothers or good motor factors .

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 03:13:23 pm »

Hi, Good idea to use Tamiya masking tape.  Another way to stop edge bleeding is to paint a quick drying (compatible) varnish over the edge and allow it to dry before applying paint.
regards Roy

Catalina

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 10:22:02 am »

Thanks all. Appreciate the suggestions. Trialling different masking tapes will have to wait until the next major overhaul. In the meantime I applied 3 mm PVE angle along the edge. Looks okay.

Roger in France

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 04:09:17 pm »

There is a Masking FLUID you can paint on to the area to be protected and then peel it off. Never used it myself but I have a bottle of it somewhere.

However,  (presumably) you still have to use tape to get a line where the fluid stops!

Roger in France.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 06:22:37 pm »

Fix your masking tape then paint with the original colour. When dry paint with new colour. Any bleeding will be in the original colour and wont show.
I use ordinary masking tape from Halfords. I rub the edge flat with something flat and then paint as described. It works for me.

Richard ;)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.