Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re-charging battery  (Read 8505 times)

pugwash

Re: Re-charging battery
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2011, 09:08:55 am »

Gentlemen a question from the resident in-house electrical dumbo -  I can fit and disguise a jack-plug for the charging circuit
but have absolutely nowhere I can fit a switch to isolate the battery from the boats circuit - if I have to take off the superstructure to get at the main switch
I may as well just charge the battery out of the boat SO can I charge the battery still connected to the boats circuit without
damage to the components
Geoff

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2011, 09:27:19 am »

Geoff
Use a jack socket with a shorted jack plug
as an on/off switch or a 'normally on' magnetic reed switch under the deck with the magnet housed above it
lift magnet off the deck power on. Put back on deck power off

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2011, 06:21:58 pm »

Geoff
Use a jack socket with a shorted jack plug
as an on/off switch or a 'normally on' magnetic reed switch under the deck with the magnet housed above it
lift magnet off the deck power on. Put back on deck power off

Ned
Finding a reed that will handle the boats current draw involves a lot of luck.  The easily obtainable ones are sub-half amp, nothing like enough even for mine, and "normally operated" are even rarer.  It is possible to put some electronics around the reed, but this is moving well away from the concept of keeping it comprehensible for those who are not comfortable with building their own electronic circuits.
One trick I did use was to mount a lifeboat on top of the slide switch - slide the lifeboat 1/4" to switch on or off, virtually invisible.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

PMK

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2011, 10:29:25 pm »

Pugwash, since you have no available room for a separate on/off switch, you might consider staying with the jack plug/socket idea since the particular socket shown in the sketch serves double duty, acting as a power on/off switch while at the same allowing you to recharge your battery without recourse to removing the battery from the boat.
A 'blank' plug (a plug without any wires soldered to its connections) serves as your on/off switch. Push the blank plug into the socket to turn off the battery supply; remove the plug in order to supply power to your ESC.
The socket in this case, although still of the mono flavour, has four connections - not two as depicted in the previous sketch above. You might try Maplin or ESR or most any electronic supply company for the socket.

pugwash

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2011, 10:42:14 pm »

PMK very many thanks that is just the ticket
Geoff
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.