Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Colony Class Cruiser "HMS Tanganyika"  (Read 4597 times)

CERES

• Full Mayhemer
  • Proud to be a part of the Model Boat Mayhem Forum.
Colony Class Cruiser "HMS Tanganyika"
« on: March 16, 2008, 07:03:53 pm »

:) I am scatch building the above vessel which is of a Glyn Guest plan way back in "Model Boats April 2004.

Has anybody else built this model? I would like to know if Glyn Guest's model had Portholes or just black dots to simulate.

I would be interested in any replies.

By the way the scale is roughlt 1 inch to 12feet(1:144) model comes out at 49 inches overhaul length. Regards Bernard.

GG

Re: Colony Class Cruiser "HMS Tanganyika"
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 07:31:53 pm »

Spots of gloss black paint

Stavros

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 11:09:12 pm »

Well Ceres that comes from the man himself

stavros

witherswilliam

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 03:28:47 pm »

I am also building from this plan and was wandering if anyone had a pic of the finished boat or a copy of the plan feature within the mag as I only have the plans and no idea of finishing also what size of motor I should use.

Sven

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 04:50:31 pm »

Hi witherwilliam

you have mail !

b.r.  Sven

witherswilliam

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 06:46:24 pm »

XCheers Sven very much appreciated.
William

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 09:05:04 pm »

William

Glad you have got the necessary - she is on my build list, too.

I look forward with interest (and confidence :}) to your build log?

i was going to answer you from memory about the portholes - the build account mentions, I think GG using the end of a dowel dipped in paint. I stored this in memory as a fine idea
You COULD, of course ink-jet print them on the balsa sides - but please remember to allow for the curvature of the sides
andrew

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 09:25:35 pm »

A very effective method is to get hold of some vinyl tape in black or dark blue such as Trimline and then use a rotary leather punch to produce self adhesive disks of the appropriate diameter which you can stick to the hull. Very neat and very realistic.

Colin

deadbeat

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 02:48:15 pm »

I made Glyn's HMS Ivanhoe a few years ago and I used Letraset for the portholes, you can buy this is many sizes and shapes, a coat of varnish afterwards and it will last a long time.

soldier151

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 02:26:28 am »

Hi Guys,
Building the Tanganyika but beware, the plans in Model boats are in correct, I'm referring to the base/keel section, it is shorter than necessary so you will have to adjust the length of the balsa.  Made the same mistake myself but was able to rectify this before assembly, be warned
Soldier151
a lifeboat freak
Funny GG has never made a Lifeboat, at least not as far as I know

GG

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 10:23:45 am »

Re mistake on plans, dug out a copy of my original drawings, compared to published plans and lo and behold, the hull bottom piece on the plans is too short yet my original drawing shows the correct length.

This illustrates a serious problem that used to happen when submitting plans for publication.  A draughtsman was employed to "copy" the original drawings and, if used as a free plan insert, modify them to fit the plan sheet size.  The original drawings for the Tanganyika model were therefore "cut" to fit the smaller free plan sheet.

This is usually no problem but with one plan, some years ago I quickly add, the "draughtsman" clearly knew more than me and altered the design.  As a result the parts which used to fit did not fit anymore.  Since then I have always had a copy made of the original drawing.  Now the situation is much better and I receive a copy of the free plan via Email before publication for checking.  The magazines current draughtsman is excellent and rarely do I find any errors/confusions/omissions which can be easily corrected before publication.

Sorry about this mistake, just use the shape shown on the plans and extend it rearwards to match the length on the side view. As the good book says "Thus saith the Lord: Cursed be the man that trusteth in man"  (Jeremiah 11:5).
Glynn Guest
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.414 seconds with 22 queries.