Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Krick Anna  (Read 9166 times)

pettyofficernick

Krick Anna
« on: January 27, 2011, 01:46:30 am »

Just got  a Krick 'Anna' steam pinnace kit, complete with engine from A Model World as an Introduction to model steamboating. The box contents are of good quality, as one would expect from germany, what with their reputation for precision and all. The hull is a chunky little ABS vacforming 610mm x 260mm. The wooden parts are laser cut from good quality veneered ply ranging in thickness from 7mm to 1.5mm, a stand is also included, again in 7mm ply. A bag contains propshaft, steering gear, plastic prop and sundry fittings and there is a pair of flags and Anna decals (these will not be used as I am going to name her 'Minnie' after my little yorkie who can be seen supervising the unpacking for photographic purposes.
The engine was packed in a separate box, unfortunately no photos were taken of the parts as I could not wait to get my sticky little fingers burnt and I had it assembled in no time. The boiler comes ready soldered so assembly is a 'bolt together job' the engine is a single cylinder, double acting piston valve engine that will run in either direction, although it is not self starting. Firing is by means of 'Esbit' tablets or similar, but these are not supplied. The engine runs well and seems to be quite powerfull for its size ( goes like the clappers, to coin a phrase :-)))

livesteam

Re: Krick Anna
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 07:20:41 am »

Hello!
Anna has been my first model steamboat as well! It's a pleasurable and straightforward build.
Enjoy!

pettyofficernick

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 11:51:39 pm »

Hi There,
            Build underway, just spent 4 days varnishing the base plate. looks well with 5 coats of yacht varnish. Did you use the Krick steam engine or somthing more elaborate? The only problem I can forsee so far will be fitting the deck in place, it seems awfully tight ( it does mention this in the instructions, but I didnt think it would be that tight.)

livesteam

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 12:45:03 pm »

I used a Cheddar Compact plant which is in fact a Pintail engine with a Pipit boiler. Unfortunately it's not available anymore.
I don't know the Krick engine, but I guess the problem is, as it is only a single cylinder engine it will not selfstart from every position.
I had the same problem with fitting the deck, but after using a bit of sandpaper it worked well... I could post some pics of the finished boat in the next few days.

RMH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 01:59:06 pm »

I too had the problem with the deck being a bit of a tight fit but it meant I ended up with a slight curve across the deck which I think looks more natural

pettyofficernick

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 02:11:58 am »

fitting the deck was actually easier than I thought it would be. I used a 25thou feeler gauge by running it round the edge of the deck, pushing it down as I went, a bit like fitting piston rings IE the deck being the piston and the hull being the ring, worked fine and deck fits nice and snug, with a slight camber. Looks well, now its time for another varnishing marathon. :-))

livesteam

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 03:08:13 pm »

Hi!
Here are some pics of my Anna. It has been my very first live steam model built some 10 years ago. I still like to sail it very much, the Pintail engine with pipit Boiler gives more than enough power and it look good on the water.
Regards
Kaspar

pettyofficernick

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 10:39:05 am »

Nice job! I will post pics of mine when its finished, it's nearly there.

pettyofficernick

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 12:59:29 am »

Anna is nearly finished, just the painting to do and the radio to re-install, the next photo should be on the water steaming away. :-))

pettyofficernick

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 08:43:27 pm »

Well, its done, boilers pants though, keeps running out of steam. I now need to find a Pipit boiler or similar. :embarrassed: :embarrassed: >>:-( >>:-(

livesteam

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 07:43:48 pm »

Hi!
Well done  :-)) Maybe a Regner "Mini" boiler would do the job. It's got a similar sice as the Pipit but is made of brass which means it's a bit lighter. The Regner boilers are good value for money although the bar burners are a bit noisy and maybe a bit less reliable than ceramic burners.
Have a look at www.regner-dampftechnik.de, they usualy are very helpful. The website is in German, but they will probably answer queries in English.
Regards
Kaspar
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.