Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: NIMROD THE MIGHTY HUNTER  (Read 14892 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: NIMROD THE MIGHTY HUNTER
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2011, 12:46:10 pm »

A report in today's Sunday Times states that the 'new' Nimrods had a catalogue of outstanding faults requiring attention including the inability to open the bomb doors...

The whole project was misconceived and should have been knocked on the head years ago and a more viable alternative sought.

The scrapping has touched a nerve in the public consciousness because it is a graphic example of where you can actually see your hard earned taxes being literally thrown away.

Colin

plattypus-oz

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2011, 01:10:43 pm »

It makes me feel better to know that we in Australia are not the only ones who have idiots in charge. Australia's prime minister gave away millions to other countries and they have nothing left for the Australians in the Queensland floods effected Australians get $1000 and children get $400 compared to the millions of dollars given to other countries. N.S.W. and Victorians get nothing for flood damage, nor do the Western Australians who were burnt out in the last month in the massive fires there. Then look at the fires in Victoria people still living in substandard dwellings with all the problems of just coping . Most Australians are now slugged with a levy to pay the bills.

Dekan

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2011, 01:58:03 pm »

IMHO Overseas Aid is one of the best ways for politicians to funnel money into their own bank accounts this often takes the form of a kickback...Thats probably why they are so keen on it

After all if anybody audits it later you can aways say it was misappropriated by the recipients...Just like a big charity .OPPS  I shouldn't have said that... :}

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2011, 07:02:46 pm »

Don't know why exactly, but I suspect that readers of the Sunday Times are a bit thin on the ground as far as this forum is concerned. The Bishop only touched on the problems befalling this magical aircraft.
The "Inspecorate" of this aircraft have been a bit less than complimentary .
Apart from doors (the sort that can open to drop either bombs or life-saving equipment) that can't open in flight, we have wings that are subject to metal fatigue even before the aircraft (?) ever takes to the skies. The engines appear not to fit into their designated holes without leaving an unacceptable gap that can cause some sort of disaster. The Hot Air pipe running alongside a fuel line has still not been re-routed or "lagged". The list of "not acceptable" design faults really does go on.
Although we, as members of the public, would obviously like to see a British ASW aircraft in the sky.....then I'm afraid it just isn't going to happen. BAE(S) have signally failed to produce what they contracted for.
Who pays for all this? No guesses required. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

pugwash

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2011, 07:16:50 pm »

Hi Bryan I read this article this morning and my first thought was why the H... werent these faults corrected during the build and
secondly wasn't it strange that the Sunday Times should be shown this report just when the minister is trying to justify his scrapping of the aircraft.
Takes the heat off him doesn't it.
Geoff

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2011, 07:24:50 pm »

You missed the bit about the nose wheel not coming down Bryan! The conservative(!) estimate to fix all these things is £1bn so allow for £2bn at least. The whole project is a scandal of the first order and this is just one of many.

Digressing slightly, I saw a criticism of the new carriers the other day that they are 'too big'. This is rubbish. Just a cursory look at recent history will demonstrate that new warships are ALWAYS too small. This is due to the specification being trimmed so much to save money that the vessel is barely (if at all) able to meet its initial design requirements. There is no margin for updating during its service life so it becomes obsolescent long before its time thus incurring extra costs when it has to be replaced early. Good examples are the first two batches of the Type 42 destroyer and the Invincible class carriers. The Invincible, Illustrious and Ark Royal have given good service but if you have been in their hangars you will know just how small they are which is why the last remaining ship, Illustrious, is to be scrapped early in favour of HMS Ocean of inferior construction and woeful speed but which has more space onboard.

This shortcoming does seem to have been remedied with the Daring class destroyers which have space for futureproofing but from what I hear they don't even carry the current armament and systems for which they have been fitted and are significantly toothless despite their impressive appearance.

Colin

Dekan

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2011, 08:13:08 pm »

The only way for most British defense projects of the last 20 years, it seems, to retain their reputations is to get canceled early.

The MOD has been woefully poor in overseeing and commissioning the projects... it's almost if most them are designed to fail.... leaving the money spent to "vanish" into "the system."

I don't know how few ships our navy consists of last count, but somebody said that there was 60 something admirals... Sound like classic downsizing to me,loads of chiefs but very few indians :((

PMK

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2011, 08:29:58 pm »

A G K Chesterton essay refers...

Mr Dodgy, what an absolutely brilliant (and thoroughly appropriate) piece. I doff my hat to you, sire.
I can't help wondering, if the sagacious, yet humble, Mr Chesterton should suddenly find himself alive in this day and age, if his search would take him anywhere near as long as four years.

Top thanks to you for that somewhat informative snippet. What it must be like to be educated.
Green with envy be I.

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2011, 02:07:29 am »

Mr Dodgy, what an absolutely brilliant (and thoroughly appropriate) piece. I doff my hat to you, sire.

It's really GKC you should be doffing to, as do I...

What it must be like to be educated.

I'm sure I had an education somewhere around here... where did I put it..?   {:-{

The sad thing is that modern youth will not have the undoubted benefit of reading any of the great writers, because:

1 - they are not politically acceptable - indeed, they are generally dead white males.
2 - they have not been on television, which has been the formative influence for todays teachers...

<:( <:( <:(

PMK

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2011, 03:04:38 am »

Ah, television - the scourge of today's dumbed-down, brain-washed Britain. I discovered some months previously that the implosion when a hammer is thrown at the screen makes for one heck of a loud "BOOOMB!". The same deal with the radio when I'd heard Chris Evans' foul mouth one particular morning. A Handy tool to keep in the lounge, is our old friend the hammer.
While you're there, hang on a moment - I have a vision coming through....
Hmm, yes, yes, it's coming, hang on....
Ah-ha - gottit!
The cabinet to the left-hand side of your desk... third drawer down. Inside is where you'll find your mislaid (mislain?) education.
Perhaps send it this way when you've finished with it?

regiment

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2011, 10:49:38 am »

what we need is more mr camm s  mr mitchel s  and mr wallis  not forgetting the two brothers

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2011, 11:33:37 am »

The sad thing is that modern youth will not have the undoubted benefit of reading any of the great writers, because:

1 - they are not politically acceptable - indeed, they are generally dead white males.
2 - they have not been on television, which has been the formative influence for todays teachers...

Yes, but can you get an APP for that??

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2011, 11:44:54 am »

Yes, but can you get an APP for that??

Regards  Ian.
You mean summat like Kindle?
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2011, 12:07:09 pm »

Just found out that I can get an app (I think its an app - I used to call it a program) for a FREE kindle on my PC.  I also found out that I can get the entire works of Mark Twain (and many other dead authors) for FREE to read using it.  This does not, and is unlikely to, benefit the majority of today's youth since reading actual words is so uncool, and there are relatively few explosions involved.  It does give an opportunity to ignore the TV for a while, so that's a win.
Sadly, it also does nothing to enhance the defence forces capability of this country or its possessions.  Some predecessors of this government did the same thing a while back and lumbered us with a war in the Falklands.  I expect that by the time of the next government they will be called "Los Malvinas". 
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2011, 12:51:04 pm »

Just found out that I can get an app (I think its an app - I used to call it a program) for a FREE kindle on my PC.  I also found out that I can get the entire works of Mark Twain (and many other dead authors) for FREE to read using it. 

Please share the info. I know that this is a legal use of books, as they are classics in the public domain.
Then I will split this topic from the Nimrod as I am sure there may be others (apart from me) interested.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2011, 01:19:45 pm »

what we need is more mr camm s  mr mitchel s  and mr wallis  not forgetting the two brothers

Ah, yes, the Montgolfier brothers! Created the first ever flying machine. We could certainly do with more of those.

We could also do with more Stringfellows, Sir George Cayleys, and Lilienthals. Of particular note is the Anglo-Australian Hargrave, who invented the man-carrying box kite, and published his designs freely for others to learn from. The Kiwi Pearce is also worthy of mention..

I have a particular hobby-horse about the position of the Wright brothers in the development of the flying machine. They were anxious to benefit financially, claimed that they held the 'critical secret' of flight and attempted to patent it. As a result they have gone down in American folk-lore as 'the inventors of the airplane', while in reality their contribution was much more modest... 

Oh. and I've found my education -  :D :D :D

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2011, 01:29:10 pm »

Imagine what the world would be like if the Dayton boys had stuck to making bicycles :o
..well can you land on this?

regiment

« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2011, 01:53:10 pm »

answers on a post card please

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2011, 01:56:02 pm »

Imagine what the world would be like if the Dayton boys had stuck to making bicycles :o

postcard starts.....

Interestingly, the development of the aircraft would not have been affected one bit. Development in the US and Europe was almost completely separate, and though the Wright brothers had made a number of advances in motor and control technology, these were initially kept secret, and similar or improved advances were rapidly made completely independently elsewhere. The Wrights provided no critical breakthrough, they were simply one part of a continuous development which started in the 1890s and would have delivered a practical aircraft by 1910 in any circumstance.

The country providing most of the early development of the aircraft was France. The primary contribution of the Wrights was to institute a legal patent war in the US which suppressed aircraft development there. So much so, in fact, that when the US joined the 1st World War there was no US-based aircraft industry capable of making fighter aircraft, and they needed to buy French aircraft to equip their squadrons....

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2011, 02:12:38 pm »

Please share the info. I know that this is a legal use of books, as they are classics in the public domain.
Then I will split this topic from the Nimrod as I am sure there may be others (apart from me) interested.

The obvious place to get free books is the Gutenberg project. Here books are digitised and offered in a number of formats - you don't need a Kindle or an Android, but you can just read them on your PC....

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page  refers...

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2011, 03:25:53 pm »

postcard starts.....

Interestingly, the development of the aircraft would not have been affected one bit. Development in the US and Europe was almost completely separate, and though the Wright brothers had made a number of advances in motor and control technology, these were initially kept secret, and similar or improved advances were rapidly made completely independently elsewhere. The Wrights provided no critical breakthrough, they were simply one part of a continuous development which started in the 1890s and would have delivered a practical aircraft by 1910 in any circumstance.

The country providing most of the early development of the aircraft was France. The primary contribution of the Wrights was to institute a legal patent war in the US which suppressed aircraft development there. So much so, in fact, that when the US joined the 1st World War there was no US-based aircraft industry capable of making fighter aircraft, and they needed to buy French aircraft to equip their squadrons....
Agreed but what about the guys from Dayton ?

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2011, 03:27:47 pm »

Historically (going Back to King Alfreds time) every time the Politician's down sized the Navy and cut the defence budget this country has had to go to war --- (Falklands)The fact that we won these wars is due to the guts, skill, fighting tenacity and sheer boneheaded stubbornness of the British people and Fighting forces to overcome the short sightedness and or sheer incompetence or criminal negligence of various governments who would rob us of the weapons we needed to defend ourselves and our dependents  >>:-(  <*<
 Any child who can read a history book (At the moment that is, before they edit the truth out of them for being racist or politically incorrect)c an see this, so why can'tthe politicians??? I still say that we should have a legal 4 yearly cull of politicians who are deemed to have done harm to the country through neglegence or self profit  >:-o >:-o
 Freebooter
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2011, 03:31:32 pm »

Don't wait four years , it should be continuous O0 >>:-(

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2011, 03:52:20 pm »

Agreed but what about the guys from Dayton ?

Umm...Paul Laurence Dunbar? Robert Pollard? Mike Nawrocki? ...   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_from_Dayton,_Ohio     :D :D

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2011, 04:29:11 pm »

No no noooo no, the two fools who said they could fly, did they ever make a better bike ? %% {-)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 21 queries.