Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LOCH NESS DASH..CHARITY SAIL IN AID OF THE RNLI  (Read 45755 times)

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
Re: THE LOCH NESS DASH..CHARITY SAIL IN AID OF THE RNLI
« Reply #125 on: July 03, 2011, 08:20:15 pm »

The further we progressed up the Loch though the stronger the swell and the headwind became. Mike then noticed his boat was sitting low in the water and on inspection (not easy from a bobbing up and down RIB) it was found to have quite an amount of water inside the hull. Russ's boat too had water inside, though not as much. With not knowing exactly where the water was coming in there was no other choice but to take them both out and head round to Urquat Bay and the moorings by Urquat Castle for running repairs and to empty the water out. Imagine how difficult it was to lift out the boats, each weighing over 50kg and some 6ft long from the RIB and trying to get them on the cruiser! Not an easy task when moored up in calm conditions, never mind on the Loch with some 700ft of water beneath you in the wind! Each of the 3 boats sustained damage in just being lifted out to fittings, super structures and propellers....

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #126 on: July 03, 2011, 08:28:25 pm »

Running repairs at Urquat Bay, and some pictures of Urquat Castle. Mike's boat is being bailed out with a cup rather than the usual syringe!

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #127 on: July 03, 2011, 09:11:20 pm »

After both Mike's and Russ's boats being emptied of water and both ok to continue we decided to continue. We were unable to sort the problem with Neil's boat so she had to be taken out of the run altogether unfortunately.
However the stop at Urquat Bay had taken longer than expected and the weather in the meantime had worsened. The bay itself was relatively sheltered but outside bay there was a considerable amount of headwind and the size of the swell and waves had also increased. It would be impossible to safely launch from here and expect the boats to remain afloat in the conditions. It was therefore decided to keep them on the cruiser Muirtown Explorer and try to find a sheltered area where they could be safely relaunched. This in the end proved fruitless as the conditions didn't ease at all, even the relative shelter of the Caledonian Canal would have been too much for them. Anyway tired but safe we all finally reached the finish point at Dochgarroch at around 5.30 after starting out at 9.30. We might not have done the length of the Loch but we can't control the weather, both Russ's and Mike's boats both had more than enough power to complete the run but not in those conditions. We did the best we could and raised funds and awareness for the RNLI along the way.

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #128 on: July 03, 2011, 09:15:11 pm »

Left Mike Pendlebury (gribeauval), centre Russ Procter (6705russell) and right me, Dave Forrester (Number 6). Also on the left with the red life jacket on is Alasdair MacLean, owner of the Rother Class Lifeboat 'Mairi Bhan', talking talking to some of the RNLI helpers.

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #129 on: July 03, 2011, 09:15:48 pm »

Thanks for posting the pictures Dave, I'm just to knackered to do anything...

Just to reiterate, thanks to everyone who helped, those that contributed and everyone else for the kind remarks..

Russ

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
« Reply #130 on: July 03, 2011, 09:18:02 pm »

Thanks for the posting from me also Dave!  

Sorry it had to end with     Lifeboats 0     Loch Ness 1

AND I WILL KILL THE FIRST MAN TO SUGGEST A REPLAY !!!!!!!!! {-)

Mike

p.s. to FLJ ,  your action p40c mixer works just as well under water as out of it !  :o
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #131 on: July 03, 2011, 09:22:16 pm »

Ian Milne, skipper of the Sea Scouts cruiser is relaxing on the stern of the cruiser 'Muirtown Explorer' after a long day.

The second photo shows Alasdair MacLean, in the lifejacket, having a closer look at the Clydes.

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #132 on: July 03, 2011, 09:23:29 pm »

Thanks for the posting from me also Dave!  

Sorry it had to end with     Lifeboats 0     Loch Ness 1

AND I WILL KILL THE FIRST MAN TO SUGGEST A REPLAY !!!!!!!!! {-)

Mike

p.s. to FLJ ,  your action p40c mixer works just as well under water as out of it !  :o

I'll second (or third) that!!   O0 {-) O0

adam_goodin

« Reply #133 on: July 03, 2011, 09:37:58 pm »

excellent pictures Guys, well done...it's still a great thing to have done and looks like it was very enjoyable!

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #134 on: July 03, 2011, 09:51:05 pm »

Some of the vessels we encountered along the way...

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #135 on: July 03, 2011, 10:07:12 pm »

And finally Scotland itself, what a beautiful part of the world with great hospitality too. Everyone should visit at least once if possible. Special thanks from myself, Russ and his lad go to Malcolm and Pat Sonley of the Netherwood B&B just outside Fort Augustus who were able to put us up for the duration after we were unavoidably delayed on the Friday night and were unable to get to our original accommodation. Highly recommended with brilliant hospitality, great room and brilliant breakfast. http://www.netherwood-loch-ness.co.uk/  Many thanks to everyone for supporting us and helping us, The Loch Ness Scale Sail Team.  :-)) :-))

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #136 on: July 04, 2011, 01:21:28 am »

What a great effort, well done lads :-))

Excellent photos too, Dave, I particularly like the ones of Urquhart Castle. They brought back memories of our trip there back in 1997.

Peter.

brianB6

« Reply #137 on: July 04, 2011, 04:39:42 am »

Has anyone in Oz got a boat big enough / suitable, to cross Sydney Harbour or Port Phillip Bay for charity?

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #138 on: July 04, 2011, 07:36:28 am »

Congratulations all..... :-))

brianB6....what is the green light in the image of the lock? ......Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #139 on: July 04, 2011, 07:41:58 am »

Congratulations all..... :-))

brianB6....what is the green light in the image of the lock? ......Derek

Hi there, think the green light is just one of a couple of different coloured lights on the locks used to make it look pretty at night. It was just starting to go a bit darker when I took the photo so maybe it had turned itself on already, Dave.  :-))

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #140 on: July 04, 2011, 07:45:21 am »

I forgot to say the small yacht in the photos is 'Victoria' also owned and run by the Sea Scouts. She came along for the trip too, but kept her distance while the models were in the water, Dave.  :-))

Jonjonzilla

« Reply #141 on: July 04, 2011, 09:35:01 am »

Looks like a great day, I will make sure I attend next year

John

nhp651

« Reply #142 on: July 04, 2011, 10:37:07 am »

great effort lads.....sorry I haven't been in rouch on the forum but one hour into the sail the hard drive on my computor packed up and left me totally blind except for texts from the lads up thewre......and at times the phone was too hot to hold next to my ears, lol.

I am down at the local public library typing this so probably won't be back on line for a day or so until I get the power unit back from a local repair shop.

Bu I can re iterate that from phone calls on saturday from different members of clubs and corporates that have collected for me, and excluding any that was collected from pubs and such in Fort augustus and Fleetwood the total SO FAR stands at around £2400, of which some will go to central RNLI funds and the other will go to the Loch Ness RNLI fumds..........and the lads might not have got to the end under their own steam, but the amount raised is a total sucess, and I for one AM B***** PROUD OF YOU GUYS.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT.

Neil. 

john44

« Reply #143 on: July 04, 2011, 10:49:30 am »

Great photo,s Dave. What a beautiful part of the country. Brilliant effort, I bet you had some laughs along the way.

PS the P164-165 look like a nice project.

see you soon

john

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #144 on: July 04, 2011, 10:58:26 am »

Thanks John, yes it was good fun but tiring! Yes the P165 & 164 are same type as Russ's HMS Exploit, RN Archer Class Training vessels, wouldn't mind one myself. They'd both come through the Caledonian Canal at Fort Augustus and were there for the night. I'll hopefully be down our little lake on Wednesday with my big tug, still not got round to sorting the Solent yet but it'll hopefully be done for Sunday. See you soon, Dave.  :-))

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #145 on: July 04, 2011, 11:03:38 am »

It ceratinly does John    {-)   {-)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #146 on: July 04, 2011, 11:52:23 am »

So the question is asked.......... "Has anyone in Oz got a boat big enough / suitable, to cross Sydney Harbour" ....... >>:-(

The shortest..... point to point is I believe approx 1.2 Km ...& just under the bridge
Problem is  ;D one day like a mill pond ....the next 1.2 m swell on 4.0 m sets

I did this daily boat trip from GI to Cockatoo for 98 days ....leave @ 0915...return @ 1350 when HMAS Paramatta was in refit

I would not suggest an under bridge crossing of model vesels would be a good plan...... :D %) .....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #147 on: July 04, 2011, 12:29:05 pm »

A valiant effort lads, well done.

I'm intrigued by this photo, how is that RIB making such good headway with the outboard out of the water?!?!?

A bit ironic that lifeboats were unable to sail in bad weather and one almost sank. Auto baling pumps next time....
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #148 on: July 04, 2011, 12:41:06 pm »

Hi there Martin, 2 of the 3 boats did have fully functioning bilge pumps. As for the RIB, it's being towed by the Rother.  :-)) :-))

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #149 on: July 04, 2011, 02:11:00 pm »

Have you found the source of leak yet are the boats put away for some other time?!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.