Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LOCH NESS DASH..CHARITY SAIL IN AID OF THE RNLI  (Read 45513 times)

KEMO

Re: THE LOCH NESS DASH..CHARITY SAIL IN AID OF THE RNLI
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2011, 07:53:39 pm »

Hiya,
      in the old Metcalf Moulding's catalogue there is a reference to the 1/48 HMS Dumbarton Castle/Leeds Castle boats being used in an endurance event,

Quote:
          Bury Metro Marine Modelling Society together with Abco(UK) built up two of these models for the first ever 24hr world record endurance event at Stevenage in June 1987, and after surviving incredible weather conditions both completed the full 24hrs, 'HMS Leeds Castle' covering 59.42 miles (C Class) and 'HMS Dumbarton Castle' covering 56.96 miles (Class A). In October 1987 Both models were awarded World Records in their respective Classes.

Both models were powered by Ford 12v 'Cortina' heater blower motors running on 12v.26amp.hr. sealed gel batteries, both were fitted with working navigation lights, interior lights and flood alarms.   Unquote.

Keith.

nhp651

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2011, 09:08:34 pm »

thanks kemo, but we aren't trying for an endurance record.......just a numbumsail, lol

thanks neil and the team.

http://www.justgiving.com/lochnessscalesail

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2011, 09:15:53 am »

Web page updated 8th March 2011, spread the word of the cause folks! Dave.  :-))

justgiving.com/lochnessscalesail

stevieh

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2011, 10:04:38 pm »

hi guys good luck with you sail  ive only sailed in the basin at the sea scout hut the bught pond and up the canal to were the canal and river ness split with my 72 scale warships YORK AND SUTHERLAND
stevie

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2011, 01:35:22 pm »

Good luck.
I hope you raise lots of money and have a great day out :-))
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

nhp651

« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2011, 12:37:57 am »

hello chaps and chapesses,

Mike Pendlebury has now put this compilation together on Youtube, as our "web advert" and I think it's superb......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx7mdBIp3mM&feature=youtu.be

So please now, don't be shy, dig deep and please donate to this worthy cause....The RNLI have said that donations are down this year, so the more who can donate, the more lives saved.

Cheers, on behalf of the team.

neil.

nhp651

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2011, 09:20:18 am »

we need your donations guys and gals............look here  and then dig deep please,

If every one of the 5930  members just donated 50 pence (or equivelant) that would be a fantastic result, so please just don't dismiss these please......get giving.

Thank you.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/8456016/Ben-Fogle-on-saving-the-RNLI.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx7mdBIp3mM&feature=youtu.be

nhp651

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2011, 11:17:34 am »

I had a letter this morning from an anonymous wellwisher for our Loch Ness fund raiser...........unsigned and postmarked in the West Midlands, see below.

I DO HOPE THAT THEY SOON GET BETTER, LOL

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2011, 11:57:32 am »

I had thought that Lake Windermere would have been handier, plus lots of public to rattle a can at too O0
..well can you land on this?

nhp651

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2011, 12:48:07 pm »

it's not the money you spend raising the amount, Duncan................you'd spend that on your hobby anyway, going to shows etc...........IT'S THE AWARENESS FOR THE CAUSE THAT YOU CREATE BY DOING SOMETHING DIFFERENT.

As for windermere....a far too busy lake, andthe national; parks will only allow model boat sailing within certain areas for safety...........and it's only a little piddler compared with NESSIE.

The long Build

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2011, 01:34:55 pm »

Just ignore it , if the anonymous well-wisher has not the guts to say who they are then they are nobody.. IMHO

My wife swam the English Channel in 1997 and raised 3k for Charity. To actually swim this with all the various costs, cost her £2k, probably more as this does not include the 2 years of training which led up the successful swim.
In the meantime the charities were actively being promoted in the public, which is what most Fund raising events are all about.. Awareness..
So if SWMBO gave the 2k it cost her to swim direct to the charity’s they would be down by 1k not to mention that she would not have personally achieved something which very few people have achieved.

Hair brained .. Yes most likely , but that is where the Fun and interest and publicity lies....  Good luck to you..   

pugwash

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2011, 01:46:54 pm »

Totally agree with Long Build it is all about bringing awareness to the public of the charlity you are trying to help
I thought the letter you received was condescending and to a point offensive and best ignored.

Geoff

nhp651

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2011, 01:53:06 pm »

thanks guys.....we really appreciate the possitiveness of your support.
now what can we do next year to irritate the small minded person even more, lol

The long Build

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2011, 01:57:08 pm »

thanks guys.....we really appreciate the possitiveness of your support.
now what can we do next year to irritate the small minded person even more, lol

The English Channel   ....  Or the Irish Sea..Both would be a very big Challenge, Not sure about the Irish sea but the Channel is  21miles  (Dover - Calais).   :} :}

nhp651

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2011, 02:00:57 pm »

well, i suppose if jeremy clarkeson can do it in a toyota hilux....................... %% %% %% %% %% %%

may be if the anon author is reading on here.......he might want to come along with us and share his/her knowledge on how to raise MUCH MORE  cash than we seam to be doing, lol.

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2011, 02:50:50 pm »

If anyone out there in Mayhem land is on Facebook or Twitter you can 'like' our page and help spread the word of our project, many thanks, Dave.  :-))

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2011, 04:28:43 pm »

The English Channel ....  Or the Irish Sea..Both would be a very big Challenge, Not sure about the Irish sea but the Channel is  21miles  (Dover - Calais).   :} :}

We are already doing 23 miles  on Loch Ness !!  :-))

Any way how I spend MY money to raise some for someone else is MY business and nobody else's !!

How much does it cost to go parachuting or having a golf tournament as a fund raiser??  At least our way means that we also solve the technical issues involved which we can then use in our other boat builds. I have more fun solving problems and building boats than sailing them ( to me that's the boring bit!!).

Mike
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2011, 05:54:58 pm »

Yes, I`ve never worked out how sponsoring someone to "cycle the Great Wall of China" or "trek up Mt. Kilimanjaro" helps as much as if there were no costs involved or tour companies getting paid and ALL of that money going to the charity direct.  I note that the anonymous writer didnt offer to support you or give advice since he claims to be a serious charity man.
..well can you land on this?

fatcat123

« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2011, 06:29:05 pm »

I had a letter this morning from an anonymous wellwisher for our Loch Ness fund raiser...........unsigned and postmarked in the West Midlands, see below.

I DO HOPE THAT THEY SOON GET BETTER, LOL

I hope they get better to, unlikely though bless them.

as for the stamp - http://monologues.co.uk/Seafaring/index.htm

Dan

fatcat123

« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2011, 06:37:28 pm »

WHOIS Query on that domain gives the following information

REGISTRY WHOIS FOR MONOLOGUES.CO.UK

Domain name:
        monologues.co.uk

Registrant:
        Paul Wilkinson

Registrant type:
        UK Individual

Registrant's address:
        10 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx     
        xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        CH7 xxx
        United Kingdom

I've edited the address incase this isnt the person. Neil, pm me if you want the address.

Dan

The long Build

« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2011, 06:43:46 pm »

The Addy shown is not the west Midlands though.

Personally I would not be bothered to waste any time in trying to find out..

fatcat123

« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2011, 06:54:20 pm »

Personally, i hate people who are up their own a*ses and would like to see this joke outed.

The search took all of 30 seconds.

As for the postmark, maybe they posted it in the west midlands to aim to avoid detection, maybe they have relatives there etc. Strange how that stamp appears though.

Dan

nhp651

« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2011, 08:22:44 pm »

tell you the truth lads.......I feel sorry for the person...not withstanding the fact that they think they have the monopoly on raising funds for the RNLI, gawd bless 'em, they actually waisted a first class stamp on me......  %% %% %% {:-{ <:( :((......they must know from the way I post on here sometimes ,and go fishing hoping the bait will be taken {-) {-), I couldn't really give a monkeys what someone who hides behind anonimity thinks...........we as a team are out for a nice weekend and hopefully raising a wodge whilst doing it.

so, sea fairing yarns[/i]......contrary to what you had hoped and upset us....you've sparred us on, and the publicity your letter has been given has raised the profile of fundraisers for the RNLI greatly,... touche', and thank you. you are a star. O0 O0 O0 O0

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2011, 09:28:03 pm »

I just had a chuckle to myself as well, last year I travelled 230 miles to display my lifeboats at Torbay lifeboat day and a whale of a time and raised a lot of money so if I want to travel to Loch Ness ( somewhere I have never been before)and have a cracking weekend with some very good friends then that to me is worth everything. I suspect the writer of the letter is someone who is very alone in his own little world, I pity him.....

Russ 

john44

« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2011, 10:35:28 pm »

I to pity this anonymous writer,
a few people are giving a great deal of themselves to help towards funding the RLNI, who give a hell of a lot of themselves to help others
who is he/she to criticise other peoples efforts. What a nerve.

john >>:-( >>:-(
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 21 queries.