Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please suggest me a name....  (Read 6703 times)

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Please suggest me a name....
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2011, 11:40:37 pm »

Did anyone actually send anything to India?

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Dave13

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2011, 12:02:21 am »

how about Starlight?

soldier151

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2011, 01:55:08 am »

How about CHEETAH

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2011, 05:14:20 am »

PMK

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2011, 07:25:12 am »

Hey, Ching, since when did the word "testicles" ever become defined as bad language? I abhor foul language on any open forum, so why should I resort to using such nonsense myself? Besides, you are forgetting that it was Martin himself that brought the whole sordid affair to our attention - thereby inviting each and all of us to vent our anger at such a rotten and low-down scam.
And, just in case you hadn't noticed, not once in my post did I make any so-called rant.  I had merely written the truth. So quit with suddenly trying to act holier-than-thou and put my post back - exactly as you found it. Or at the very least, give me an apology for making it seem as though I had done something wrong.

ACTion

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2011, 09:46:41 am »

Hey, Ching, since when did the word "testicles" ever become defined as bad language?
It isn't, Pete.
As far as I know there is a piece of software within the Forum site which filters out what is deemd to be a rude word and replaces it with either a 'suitable' alternative or a string of X's. If any word passes this test then as far as I am concerned it is acceptable. It annoys me when a moderator intervenes in a thread to impose his (or her) own personal overriding moral authority/indignation by censoring it.
As regards the Indian person who believed it appropriate to pose as a female in order to gain some sort of credilbility, the only word I can think of is 'pathetic'. Go look it up in the OED before you pass judgement. It's not a derogatory term when used properly in the right context...................which is where we came in.
DM

Roadrunner

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2011, 10:09:43 am »

im gonna say it again as i did on another post.

'' if this person came to the forum with the same input as his alter ego but as a GUY we would have accepted him all the same, so why the false pretence ?!!? ''
***Edit colour changed. Please avoid using blue as this is reserved for use by moderators***

I read comments after then we are to blame, for this person's sex change, but i fail to see how, we here on the forum are 99% guys (exception to the 2 or 3 girls who do post who are genuine)

So why in a 'man's' world would another man feel he needs to be a woman to be accepted, especially with his skill levels?

His answer was ''i was posting all of my ideas here and every where that possible, but there wasnt any response...then, as a fun i started posting my ideas in to a woman's name and profile...the result was amazing...hi...hi..''

Only thing that pops into my mind is that he was attention seeking, and did so in a way thats so deceptive i find disgusted by, i take that type of deception as a personal insult, rightly or wrongly, i cannot understand that mentality at all.

For me all credibility has been lost and i have to agree with other members, was any of this is his actual work?

As far as I know there is a piece of software within the Forum site which filters out what is deemd to be a rude word and replaces it with either a 'suitable' alternative or a string of X's. If any word passes this test then as far as I am concerned it is acceptable. It annoys me when a moderator intervenes in a thread to impose his (or her) own personal overriding moral authority/indignation by censoring it.

I have to agree with Action that there is a lot of 'misjudged' censorship with some of the moderators ( but i've said this in the past anyway ''power trip'') in a normal circumstance moderation on the forum is a vital part of keeping the peace, but it has to be done in an unbiased way.
But at the moment with this current issue, Martin felt we should all know the truth which has invited us (rightly or wrongly) to voice our anger, frustration, disappointment, and anything else that describes the hurt caused through this deception, the only moderation should be to keep posts on the issue.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2011, 10:13:22 am »

It isn't, Pete.
As regards the Indian person who believed it appropriate to pose as a female in order to gain some sort of credilbility, the only word I can think of is 'pathetic'. Go look it up in the OED before you pass judgement. It's not a derogatory term when used properly in the right context...................which is where we came in.
DM
That about sums it up Dave, moderation for moderations  sake.

Dont hold your breath for an apology Pete, it wont happen.   
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2011, 10:21:12 am »

I wonder can history repeat itself??????????????????????????????? :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:
Experience is a good teacher but only, if we learn from it.  O0 O0 O0

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2011, 10:29:14 am »

I'm still laughing at myself for being taken in by Him/Her/It  O0 O0

A great number of forum members are ex seafarers of some description and having travelled the world and seen it all are not normally so easily conned.
It seemed like a few members were about to propose to the person  {-) {-) {-)
Most of us can suss out a scam email straight away but the Indian Fella caught us all out!

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

nick_75au

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2011, 10:29:25 am »

Never believe anything in the Internet, ;)

The modelling in itself is good considering the materials available. I still respect the modelling.

I'm not a fan of the moderation the way its done here, the system on RC groups seems less open to accusations of abuse. However it is Martins site and it is his to choose the way its done. ( from someone who has never had a post reported or modified as fas as I'm aware  ;D )

Nick

ben hall

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2011, 05:30:28 pm »

Never believe anything in the Internet, ;)

can i just say (a bit late in the topics last post) that i agree i myself am a 12 year old boy but for all you know except my fellow club members on the site i could be a 98 year old girl/laddie (by the way I'm not :-)) )
as for the moderating i think martin is doing a good job as we all assume most people on the site understand the meanings and have herd it before but to a child he could say a rude word he heard on hear and think its cool or clever and get in BIG trouble when i was younger a friend dared me to say something rude to a girl of which i was going out with he told me it meant that i liked her and wanted to be rely good friends forever any way i said this to her the next night she asked her mum what it meant i got in big trouble and we were not allowed to talk to each other again and grew up as enemies thats when i learnt never to say something your not 100 percent sure what it means

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2011, 07:04:10 pm »

As one of the numerous "ex-seafarers on this Forum" who was not deceived, but has also enjoyed the fun it's generated, I admit to being a bit perplexed by it all. He/She is still posting on the forum, right? OK, so there was a bit of duplicity....but the fact that the poster was assumed to be a female engendered more response than an Indian male would have got.
Personally, I wouldn't be at all surprised to discover he's part of a team (probably including at least one female) and that team is just having a laugh at your expense. If so, then their "joke" has run its course.....and no real harm done except for a few red faces that can be easily hidden behind a written word.
I find ir much more perturbing that a "new" member ("petermun") can admit to leaving the forum for reasons unknown but has decided to return under a different name. Why?
This is the main reasons I absolutely hate the notion that people, however well intentioned, can remain anonymous and more or less say anything they wish under their "cloak of invisibility". BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2011, 10:01:00 pm »

Good points 'BY'.

Changing names is one way around getting back on the forum after being "booted" off, but isn't it obvious it's the same person by virtue of the 'IP' address which is logged.

Suppose the games people play is appropriate in these instances and it is 'Mayhem'  %% %%

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2011, 05:10:03 am »

These are my personal feelings about 'real name registration'.

There are some people who manage to 'blot their copybook', or have made an enemy, or have been a target for trolls.

A new identity does allow a fresh start without all the baggage of the old ID.

The potential for baggage is a real problem on the internet, and is often not the victims fault.
Sometimes it is the victims fault, but they learn their lesson and try to move on, but others will not let them. A new ID allows them to.
We have had a few members get off to a bad start. Mostly due to a lack of netiquette and experience with forums.

Additionally, using a real name does increase the risk of cyber stalking and we have had instances of this on Mayhem, sadly.

Aliases are, and always will be, a part of life on the Web. I live in a country where the government wants to try and introduce 'real name registration' for all forums. If you look at my location you will understand the reluctance of the Web community to do so. I think the logic can be extended to Mayhem.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.