Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Static when Painting Problem  (Read 1690 times)

fatboy999

Static when Painting Problem
« on: January 30, 2011, 04:42:52 pm »

I am having a problem when I try to spray on window tint to clear plastic parts. I wipe the parts clean and when I spray them with the Tamyia window tint I always get airborne particles stick to it. I am assuming that it is a static problem between the parts and the spray paint. Does anyone have a solution for this problem?

knoby

Re: Static when Painting Problem
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 05:17:00 pm »

Hi, there is a product called anti static cleaner for plastic, that is used in the car repaint trade. Its not cheap & only available in litres. However, if you have a body shop near you, a donation to their beer fund may well secure you a small amount. Alternatively body shops also have a water based panel wipe which will help reduce static if you cant find any anti static cleaner. You may also find distilled water may have the same effect, but it only works with certain types of plastic. With all products, use a lint free cloth to wipe it on, then buff it off until dry. The harder you rub the more static will build up, so be gentle.   You can check for static by passing your fore arm over the subject. if static is present you will feel the hairs on your arm stand up a little.

Cheers Glenn

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Re: Static when Painting Problem
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 09:45:45 pm »

You can also get the static building up if you're working in a nice dry, warm environment. If you're in a shed with a convector heater, for example, a bowl of water on the rad can help.

Tony
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.