Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Argy Bargy - My Barge build  (Read 2494 times)

cuppa

Argy Bargy - My Barge build
« on: December 03, 2011, 01:05:45 pm »

Have just started building a grain barge using a Mobile Marine Models D class lighter hull and deck as a basis.

The hull and deck arrive as two styrene mouldings and represent a good buy at the asking price. I also ordered a T4 motor and mount at the same time.

I bought a coupling and propshaft from Marks Model Bits.

The stern of the hull has been reinforced with 1mm styrene sheet and the hull and deck joined:

Have also cut out the sides for the wheelhouse:

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Argy Bargy - My Barge build
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 04:54:09 pm »

:-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

cuppa

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 12:52:38 pm »

Been doing some work on the barge:

Propshaft and rudder tube are now installed, wheelhouse sides have been glued together and I have started work on the hatch. Will post some pics later on when the hatch has progressed a little.

I have to figure out some bracing for the rudder tube and a motor mount - today's jobs hopefully. Because the rear of hull slopes steeply the rudder blade is going to wind up about 3/4 inch below the bottom of the hull and i am concerned about the forces involved upon a 3/4 inch length of unsupported rudder shaft. The actual rudder shaft will be 3.5 mm stainless steel welding rod so it may be ok but...........

cuppa

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 02:56:27 pm »

After major distractions in the form of other models I am starting this build again. Just got it back out of the cupboard and have started work on it. Pics to follow when some meaningful progress has been made. This will not be a scale model by any means - more of a 'cartoon scale' that I hope will capture the character of a full size barge. Going to work on the wheelhouse tonight.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.