Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello from brassman  (Read 1646 times)

brassman

Hello from brassman
« on: February 03, 2011, 09:19:50 am »

After a couple of years of dipping into model boat mayhem I have eventually got round to registering. I have been building model boats since my teens - but very intermittently because of work and family but have a little more time now to work on my project of the past 20 years which is a 1:144 model Titanic in brass. The hull is brass plates soldered onto frames, I have used some photo etched brass fittings which are commercially available, and the funnels and most ventilators are plastic or resin mouldings. I am also building two "Marcher " steam engines to power the wing props and the the centre prop will have electric drive.
I started this project before Titanic had been discovered on the sea bed  - and before anyone had published any drawings so my original drawings are based on articles in the Ship Builder and other engineering magazines of 1912. Hence  inaccuracies in the hull - as well as plenty of other dodgey bits!.  As a scratchbuild I seem to learning all the time and many bits have been made two or three times and then corrected again!

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Re: Hello from brassman
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 10:27:03 am »

Welcome to the madhouse Brassman!

That's an impressive bit of kit you've got there. It'll be worth the wait so see it on the wet stuff.

I hope you don't mind me asking but why electric in the middle?

Tony

brassman

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 10:51:02 am »

hi Tony  - thank you for the kind comment.  The original ship had a low pressure turbine on the centre prop which would be difficult to model so I thought an electric motor would look turbine like [?] but would also enable me to recover the model if the steam engine gave trouble or if I wanted to sail her without the hassle of sorting out the steam engines.  It has also occurred to me that although it would be the total opposite arrangement to the original, I could use reverse from the motor alone which would save the complications of reversing twin steam engines - this may depend how brave I am when it comes to sorting out the valve gear!

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 11:50:21 am »

Hello David.  ( Brassman)

Welcome to the Forum.  What a splendid model of Titanic you have there. I should imagine it's quite heavy.

I am a Titanic enthusiast and have been swamping my head with facts and figures and building up a library of books on the subject. Have you joined the Titanic research modellers association yet ? There, I have found all the information one could ever wish for.  (and more).  I have three models ready to go when I'm sure the detailing is reasonable to pass muster.

I should love to see more detailed pictures of your version  (I won't be picking any holes in it because I know how how it feels !) so if you could post them on here, I'm sure we will get a crowd of enthusiasts eager to have a go.

Next year (as you may know), is the 100th year anniversary of her sinking and should see a leap in recognition of the fine vessel, and it will be in the public's imagination, so you are in a good position with your fine example.

Sorry to go on, but I am keen on the subject. :-))

All the best

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

brassman

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 12:27:41 pm »

Hi Ken

There is something strangely addictive about Titanic - and maybe part of that is that she was a particularly beautiful ship. It is a truly tragic but fascinating story - and so many eccentric theories about the cause of the disaster and who to blame. Like you I have amassed a library of books about her.
I am already a member of the TRMA  - and you can find some old photos of my model under "modelman" . I have been a bit reluctant to post there recently as some of the contributors seem to be very much into museum quality static models and not very interested in working models - and somewhat critical sometimes.

There is a major incentive to finish this by next year but if that will happen is a bit uncertain! I will post some more photos as time goes on - my latest challenge is rigging the main mast in such a way that I can remove the superstructure but not loose tension in the stays. A spring at the base of the mast seems to be a working solution. I would be happy to share the multiple hard learned lessons from this type of construction. It is heavy  - and very top heavy at present but hopefully this will be remedied by the steam plant and batteries etc  and maybe some thin lead sheet I have aquired.

David

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 12:53:06 pm »

Hi David,

I had noticed your pictures but would be reluctant to post on there as well. It certainly is the place for enthusiasts and the details are astounding. I've even side tracked off to the passengers lists et al because my family namesake survived (Helen Churchill) which , of course caught my eye. This lead me to the cemetery and I could go on and on. Where does it all end. How much information can one hold.  %)

I agree with you about the details becoming more important than the actual building of the model. I shall do it my way and keep any of my build secret until the paint is on.   :}

Keep building,

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 04:26:32 pm »

That's a tremendous model! And here was me thinking that 5 years was a "long build"!
I really do hope that the stability works out OK for you, it would be such a shame if it had to finish up as a static model.
Congratulations. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Dave13

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 10:33:59 pm »

That's a really lovely model you have their I've allways fancied building a 1/96 scale model of Titanic or Olympic

brassman

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 11:38:28 pm »

Dave - thank you. I must admit Titanic at 1/96 could be a bit daunting  - would be about 9ft long but would great to see it in scale with so many other models! I have been working on the stern section recently until a compulsory stop to do some full scale decorating. It has progressed a bit since this photo was taken but still a long way to go. Please note the exceptionally tidy workshop [?]

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 23 queries.