Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WARNING FROM DVLC  (Read 3368 times)

Lord Bungle

WARNING FROM DVLC
« on: February 03, 2011, 11:58:08 pm »

I know this has nothing to do with boats but I just got this from one of the car forums I am on, so thought I would share on here as I know many members drive.
This was posted by the DVLA on Feb 1st 2011.

DVLA scam email warningPublished: Tuesday, 1 February 2011  Watch out for emails claiming to be from DVLA asking you to verify your driving licence details via an online link – it's a scam. DVLA has not sent any such email, so if you get one delete it immediately.
Scam phishing email
The email appears to be an attempt to trick drivers into providing personal details.

If you get the email below, do not respond to it and delete it immediately.

Subject: Update Your License Details

We are currrently upgrading our database and all drivers are required to update and verify there driver's license details.To complete your license verification with us, you are required to fill out the form in the link below.
{Fake link}
Drivers that refuses to upgrade his or her details within two weeks of receiving this verification email will lose his or her driver's License and will have to take a fresh driving test.
We sincerely apologise for any inconviniences this might have caused you.
Thank you for your co-operation.
(c) Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency Swansea SA6 7JL

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Nl1/Newsroom/DG_194193  link for those who like to check

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
Re: WARNING FROM DVLC
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 12:14:26 am »

People don't seriously fall for this twaddle do they?

Surely to the people that are smart enough to use a computer this is an obvious load of bogus rubbish - like the lottery win malarkey - if you didn't enter a lottery in Swaziland you ain't gonna win one are you??

Same with this DVLC thing - where did you enter any information for them to have your email address in the first place?
If it was a copy and pasted item - the spelling's wrong and the grammar is a bit non-officious for it to be from a government body.

Besides the government don't do anything that might save us money by using emails - they would send you three copies of the same letter to your house by post.
Thanks for the warning anyway Bungle - I'm hoping we haven't got anyone that daft on this forum.....but then again {:-{

Lord Bungle

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 12:16:20 am »

wot wiv spelin like wot it iz theze dayz R u shore pepul will notis fing like that? (own that was hard work  %) )

pugwash

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 12:45:33 am »

Don't forget a lot of people renew things online with DVLA and you have to give them your email address - then when they have despatched your VEL etc.
they send a confirmatory e-mail. Combine the facts that lots of people have given their email addresses to DVLA and rank gullibility and you have the recipe
for a successful scam.
Geoff

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 09:45:20 am »

Ah yes, I forgot that some people have these new photo i.d. licences - I still have the old fashioned folding parchment type........

As regards the VEL renewal - I do a few cars online but that doesn't mean that they would ask about my driving licence though. I think if I could put up with a guilty conscience I could think up a better scam and make a few quid.
So if you lot that have read this please forward me your name, address and passwords or pin numbers along with all of your bank details there's a place in Barbados I'm interested in.... %)

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 12:08:40 pm »

Same with this DVLC thing - where did you enter any information for them to have your email address in the first place?

Answered your ow question re the relicensing of vehicles and don't forget, you're dealing with a generation that stand within talking distance of each other but still text.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Nige52

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 02:01:13 pm »

And since when did we in the UK spell licence with an 's'?

pugwash

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 02:12:33 pm »

Nige - having seen some absolutely classic spelling on the forum do you think half of joe public would notice such a small error, especially if
the word can be spelled both ways albeit with different meanings.
Geoff

Mr Andy

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 03:16:34 pm »

People don't seriously fall for this twaddle do they?

Surely to the people that are smart enough to use a computer this is an obvious load of bogus rubbish - like the lottery win malarkey - if you didn't enter a lottery in Swaziland you ain't gonna win one are you??

If it was a copy and pasted item - the spelling's wrong and the grammar is a bit non-officious for it to be from a government body.

Besides the government don't do anything that might save us money by using emails - they would send you three copies of the same letter to your house by post.
Thanks for the warning anyway Bungle - I'm hoping we haven't got anyone that daft on this forum.....but then again {:-{

Grasshopper people do fall for scam's like this, that's why it's important for people to get thing's like this over to other people. Case of a lady losing a vast amount of cash to scamsters was in The Sun yesterday I think.

Andy.

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 03:53:42 pm »

The lady from Melton Mowbray ( just up the road from here) had actually registered on a 'lonely hearts' site so it wasn't quite the same as a phishing scam.
In her case she fell for a scamster that had essentially 'groomed' her, poor mis-guided woman.

But I suppose you're right - there are still too many people out there that don't function well without a responsible adult....

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 07:45:42 pm »

Several on here would put something like "dvla phishing scam" into our favorite search engine, and when  http://www.hoax-slayer.com/DVLA-licence-update-phishing-scam.shtml  appeared at the top of the list, we would read it.  Click, read, enjoy.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Lord Bungle

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 01:12:53 am »

thats why I included the link to the DVLA site in my post, I get countless emails reporting scams virus warnings etc and 99% are rubbish, I normally uses snopes.com to check them.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 10:09:22 am »

But I suppose you're right - there are still too many people out there that don't function well without a responsible adult..

Thats why most boat moddellers need a SWIMBO  :police: :police:
(Apart from a few lucky ones {-) {-) {-))

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Nordsee

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 04:57:46 pm »

The lady from Melton Mowbray ( just up the road from here) had actually registered on a 'lonely hearts' site so it wasn't quite the same as a phishing scam.
In her case she fell for a scamster that had essentially 'groomed' her, poor mis-guided woman.

But I suppose you're right - there are still too many people out there that don't function well without a responsible adult....
We had a Scandal Case here, the wife of one of the Quandt Family ( They own BMW) had an Affair with an Italian Gigalo who then Blackmailed her for 3 Million Euros, she paid, then he asked for another 5Million, She went to the Police, everyone found out, she looked stupid, he went to jail for 3 years, they have not found the money. Not a bad rate, 1 million a year.....Seems he has done it before with other Top Wives, must make life interesting in some homes!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.