Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mtronics Viper marine 15 plug & play ESC  (Read 11165 times)

Geoff Cropper

Mtronics Viper marine 15 plug & play ESC
« on: February 04, 2011, 10:14:54 am »

Hi Chaps,      Does anyone know the correct sequence for starting the above ESC please?.       I have a 6v 4amp battery connected to the ESC then to a 540 motor.       With the tx throttle stick at neutral position there are red and green leds showing, when the stick is at full ahead, only the red led shows, and when in full astern, only the green led shows but the motor doesn't turn.     All the servos work ok except the motor.        Any ideas please.     regards,    Geoff.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: Mtronics Viper marine 15 plug & play ESC
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 11:10:19 am »

Check this out Geoff.

http://www.mtroniks.net/resources/Plugnplayinstructions.pdf

Solid red led means no signal. Check receiver lead is correctly connected to the receiver.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 11:12:28 am »

Geoff,
You need to use your servo reverse which will set it the right way.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

chas

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 11:17:23 am »

Also, 6 volts is the minimum voltage for this unit, you could make sure your battery is fully charged.
 Chas

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 12:25:15 pm »

A friend of mine who is not a Mayhemer has commented as follows:

These require a minimum of 6v to work properly. SLA 6v batteries, unless in
peak condition, don't guarantee 6v, hence although the BEC system may
function, inevitably the power will not reach the motor.

Therefore a minimum of a 7.2v 6 cell sub-C pack is best.

Also, the 'plug and play' instant set up variety of Mtroniks esc, have an
inbuilt fault in that when you switch on at the Tx and the Rx boat end, and
if you accidentally move the throttle stick down for a moment, the
controller will then think this is forward, since the first movement of the
stick is what determines either side of neutral which will be forwards, and
thus reverse becomes forwards on this occasion until everything is turned
off and you start the process again.

Humans for some reason very often momentarily select reverse (down) before
forwards, hence the problem!. The other type of Mtroniks controller with a button that you set
up, is much better (and safer).

The standard ones with a button are fine because they remember the settings from previous
'power ups', therefore forwards will always be forwards!

Geoff Cropper

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 12:50:24 pm »

Thanks for all the info,chaps.      I removed the red wire to remove the BEC setup and connected the Rx battery to the Rx but still no power at the motor.        The motor runs ok when connected direct to the motor.         Mtroniks helpline is - 01943-461482 so I'll give them a ring .           Thanks again, regards Geoff.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 02:05:25 pm »

The point made in my earlier post is that you have to have at least 6v available for the ESC to work. Once a load is put on the battery the voltage will dip which is why a nominal input voltage of 7.2 is reccommended to enable the ESC to function properly. A 6v battery is lilely to actually deliver a bit less than 6 volts in practice.

Colin

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 02:13:23 pm »

Are your receiver leads on the right connections ?

Your rudder servo will work on your motor connection but your speed controller wont work unless it is connected to the right receiver connection.

ACTion

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 02:47:27 pm »

I'm bound to say that the epithet "plug and play" seems inappropriate in this context.
DM

BigA

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 03:04:52 pm »

Following on from Colin's comments...... I currently run two boats with Mtroniks units powered by different 6V sources - one has a gelcel and one has a NiMH pack. I've never had a problem with either. I'm about to install a 6V system with Mtroniks ESC's on another two builds - these will will use the same (NiMH) source for motor and lights - fingers crossed! :-))

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 03:06:34 pm »

I'm bound to say that the epithet "plug and play" seems inappropriate in this context.
DM

More like 'Plug and Tear Hair Out!'
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 04:14:22 pm »

Following on from Colin's comments...... I currently run two boats with Mtroniks units powered by different 6V sources - one has a gelcel and one has a NiMH pack. I've never had a problem with either. I'm about to install a 6V system with Mtroniks ESC's on another two builds - these will will use the same (NiMH) source for motor and lights - fingers crossed! :-))
I also have two boats running on 6V SLAs with 15amp plug and play and have had no trouble.

chas

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 04:33:31 pm »

Hi Again,
I also use one of these, and have done for quite a while. Every instalation varies a little, motor load, age of battery etc. Mine won't work off my 2 year old 6 volt lead acid, but is quite happy with 7.2 volts.
 So, as Colin said, you could do worse than try it with a little more voltage if only to check whether that is the problem. Shouldn't take more than a few mins.

Good luck,
Chas.

triumphjon

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 06:35:55 pm »

having had two of these units in a model before christmas , they were the most unreliable controllers ive ever bought , three feet from the side of a lake with my tx stick at rest the controllers start up and run to full power on there own . email the manufacturers twice and never even had  the decency to reply . I SHALL NEVER USE ONE AGAIN

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 07:27:10 pm »

Thanks for all the info,chaps.      I removed the red wire to remove the BEC setup and connected the Rx battery to the Rx but still no power at the motor.        The motor runs ok when connected direct to the motor.         Mtroniks helpline is - 01943-461482 so I'll give them a ring .           Thanks again, regards Geoff.
Disconnecting the red wire in the RX lead does not disable the BEC, it just stops the BEC in the ESC from powering the rest of the system.  The control/logic part of the ESC (the bit that looks at the RX output and decides what to do with it) still needs its 5 volts, which it gets from the main power via the internal BEC.  Any dubious connection between battery and ESC will cause a sudden volt drop when the motor load is applied, with unpredictable results.  Fairly unpredictable, the thing won't work.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

The long Build

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 08:15:55 pm »

I have found them to be pretty reliable, the 1 I had an issue with was replaced no problems.. Last year I used 1 to supply power to my receiever on my steam launch at the Kirklees Steam day when my receiver batterys failed by using the bec facility to take power from the 7vlt power battery. :-))

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2011, 09:11:05 pm »

I have not used the Mtroniks "Plug and Play" versions, but I do have a number of the "normal" types. I have never had a problem with any of them and, as Colin Bishop remarked, those with the button remember previous settings. They are truly "set and forget".

Peter.

Geoff Cropper

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2011, 12:30:50 pm »

If I get another 6v 4amp battery and connect it to give 12volts, that's got to be enough to power the ESC and motor, hasn't it ?       Many thanks to you all for your comments.      Regards  Geoff.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2011, 02:36:17 pm »

If I get another 6v 4amp battery and connect it to give 12volts, that's got to be enough to power the ESC and motor, hasn't it ?       Many thanks to you all for your comments.      Regards  Geoff.
Just as long as its a 12 volt motor - if it was a 6 volt motor (looking at the original posting), it would have a spectacular, but brief, life.  Will the boat handle the extra weight?  A 6V4AH battery is a weighty lump.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Geoff Cropper

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2011, 03:33:19 pm »

Hi Malcolm,          Thanks for that,   I'm building a 29 inch x 8.5 inch American tugboat with an Electronize 543-12 motor rated at 6-12 volts with a Viper marine 15  6-12 volt ESC and a 60mm 4 blade plastic prop.      I might try a brass one later.      Regards,  Geoff.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2011, 09:19:43 am »

Having spoken to Geoff yesterday it would appear that whatever he tries whether on 6volts or 12volts  there is still zero volts on the motor leads. Unit to be sent back to manufacturer. :-)) :-)) :-))

Stan

Geoff Cropper

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2011, 03:36:35 pm »

I sent my Viper marine ESC to Mtroniks on monday morning for a check up and this morning I received a new Viper marine ESC in the post.          I've tested it with my motor and it works great.         Thanks very much Mtroniks for great service and quick return, fantastic.      Best regards,   Geoff.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2011, 08:45:08 pm »

Hi Geoff. Good news you can now get on with your project.

Geoff Cropper

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2011, 02:42:36 pm »

I've done some tests on my Viper marine 15 plug & play ESC.       It works great on 6v 4amp SLA battery,  9.6volt tranny pack and also on 4.8volt receiver pack.      O0 O0 O0     Geoff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.