Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sheerline  (Read 2328 times)

jester

sheerline
« on: February 26, 2007, 07:55:22 pm »

hi all got an akula having problems painting the dive planes i.e when i apint them with acrlic paint ist just dries in cirles like theres grease on the surface of the planes rub them down with wet and dry but with no luck help please

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
Re: sheerline
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 08:52:28 pm »

:) hello, what are they made of , Resin , fibreglass or plastic ?. could be you need to wash them down thoroughly in washing up liquid water to get rid of whatever is on them, it could be release agent that has permeated into the resin and rubbing down just brings it back to the surface. Also give them a good undercoat with primer if you haven't done this . Hope this is of use to you  ;D ;D

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 11:47:46 am »

Hi Jester, the control surfaces of your boat are made from polyurethane resin and should readily accept paint. I would suggest there is contamination of the surface preventing your paint from settling evenly upon it and there are a couple of ways of dealing with it which you may wish to try.
 The best method of preparation is to use a pan scourer to flat the surface down, the kind of scourer my wife refers to as 'the green thing'. Next, wipe the surface over with a rag or tissue dipped in cellulose thinners to remove any grease and when dry, lightly dust the surface with aerosol paint and allow it to dry, I use black satin finish spray paint from the car accessory shop and don't bother with a primer as this paint works very well on this type of surface. Once done, give it another slightly heavier dusting and allow that to dry,now finally give it a proper spray over to create a finish.
If this does'nt work, you may have something nasty impregnated in the resin so more drastic action can be taken to rectify the situation: Warm the offending plane with a heat gun but don't get it hot or it may soften. When it is warm to the touch, wipe it with cellulose thinners. Repeat this operation a few times, and try spraying again as per the first instruction. You may find this solves your problem.
I offer this as my own experience and in no way imply your painting techniques are at fault, I hope it is of some use to you.
Best regards.... Chris

jester

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 10:29:45 pm »

hi all thanks for reply ive done all of the above and more been modelling for many years as for building and painting have built several kits for model slipway to show as finished articles.so this is a bit of thone in my side as to how they are doing this most dissapointed. but that how it isgoing to recast new dive vanes i think thanks for all the help

jester

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 10:46:19 pm »

just a line to say many thanks to chris from sheerline he has spent many a hour and i mean an hour on the phone with me not just once or twice but several times helping with my kit he has been no end of help very approachable man not many of them left this day and age cheers chris many many thanks

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 01:36:35 pm »

Hi Jester, thanks for the compliment, I don't want people having problems with ANY of my boats, even if they are secondhand so if I can help I will.  It gives me great satisfaction to see my boats going round the pond with happy people operating them. If you need replacement dive planes, give me a call and we will sort it out.
Best regards..... Chris 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 23 queries.