Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrade Help Neede  (Read 17610 times)

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Sea Shall Not Have Them
Upgrade Help Neede
« on: February 26, 2007, 08:11:17 pm »

I am trying to upgrade a stock Kyosho ic C-1 offshore cat from a .21 size engine to about a 28.

I am struggling to find a marine engine supplier in the uk? .28 or slightly bigger, water cooled with pull start and flywheel.

Any advise would be great.

Regards

Simon
 ???
Rubbin is Racin!

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Upgrade Help Neede
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 09:06:39 pm »

http://www.osengines.com/engines/osmg1636.html

Have a look here, it's the nearest I think you will get. Don't want to come across as too negative, but I am not sure it will be that economical for you to do as you propose, after you get the engine then a new pipe is needed, realign couplings and probably have to refix engine mounts, etc etc.

Lots of model shops either stock or can order OS engines for you.

Good luck, hope this helps. 

Glenn

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 09:21:11 pm »

Thanks Glenn,

I have spoken to my local model shop about this engine. They are struggling to find it? I found it on the tower hobbies website for a reasonable price though.

I should be able to pick a pipe for 16 pounds, they have got a specoal on them.

Regards
Rubbin is Racin!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 09:32:51 pm »

Hi Simon,

Just to concur what Glenn says, the Koysho Lamborghini is a big boat and will take a more powerful engine but you will find that other parts may also need beefing up! All the extra power will put a strain on the hull and running gear and may also need upgrading.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNG18&P=0
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

omra85

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 09:35:25 pm »

I saw a 28 pull start marine last week - available in Hong Kong.  Prices are good but the postage makes a difference.  You get to it from Ebay
http://cgi3.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=com-rcworldwide
but their site is "under construction" at the moment so can't check.
Can you get a decent tuned pipe on your 21?  As your 21 and the 28 are probably 'sports' side exhaust engines, you won't get a huge increase in speed going up to a 28.  You'd probably get more out of it with a decent pipe, bigger carb, and half an hour with a Dremel ;D
Danny

omra85

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 09:42:48 pm »

Just realised - "Edible engine" wanted to know the prop size for his "28 MDS" in an earlier thread.  Try an MDS supplier (or local shop)
or find out where he got his.  MDS should be cheap enough but good engines.
Danny

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 11:32:15 am »

Hi Simon try this one looks a good price and shipping to here is only $10 no tax either ive orederd all sorts from them and never a problem.dont forget to order the flywheel too.http://http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Chung-Yang-CY-25-25-Class-Marine-Engine-Made-In-Taiwan_W0QQitemZ150028297406QQihZ005QQcategoryZ34058QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 11:36:38 am »

retro boats

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 12:18:03 pm »

hello
 it could be a better idea to upgrade to a more powerfull 21 engine with a good tuned pipe (not a car one)  this will have much more power than a 28 would give you also would fit in yourboat with less problems
 just engines used to sell a hot 21 Leo competition engine for about £80 in side or rear exhaust they had just over 2.2hp
       good luck steve

BJ

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 01:54:43 pm »

just engines used to sell a hot 21 Leo competition engine for about £80 in side or rear exhaust they had just over 2.2hp
       good luck steve

Only the side exhaust is available now in the Leo range BUT change your Carb for a bigger venturi bore. Did that on a 46 - went from a 7½mm to an 8mm venturi and got nearly 10 mph more.
Just Engines probably can supply you a new carb to suit.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 02:08:57 pm »

as you can see that is not a car motor although nova rosi make car engines that one is a marine engine and its hard to beat power wise for its size at that price.far superior quality to anything you will get over here for that sort of price too.simon what rpm is your engine putting out now? the first one i linked puts out 42.000 which is pretty good id say for that price.

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 08:02:55 pm »

OK Chaps.

Now i ame really confussed!!

I ent with a mate to the lake at the weekend, mine as you know is a kyosho c1 cat and he has a kyosho rtr monohull, about the same length but it has got te 28 engine in it. The performance difference was amazing and one does not like to be shown up at the lake. You know what i mean.

I have pulled his boat apart and the set up is the same as mine, the skeg, prop, tube, mountings etc are all the same so i am happy that the 28 will work in mine without ripping the guts out everything. I also understand that in the 2007 kyosho manual the 28 is a hop up, but no availabilioty details at present.

I soke to my model shop today and they said they could get me the os 31 by the weekend for 140 quid. I have had al look at the recomendations, the chang yany and the sts. The sts looks ok, little worried about the other one.

I will also need a header, flywheel, dog drive, and tuned pipe! The os comes with flywheel.

So what do i do!
Rubbin is Racin!

BJ

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 08:11:55 pm »

Try the Carb option first for one tenth of the price. One phone call to Just Engines will  tell you if it is possible  and a half a millimetre extra  in the bore will make a massive difference.

omra85

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 09:01:31 pm »

That STS looks a really mean motor, rear exhaust, and just look at that turbo'ed crank - and 1.58hp (that's nearly as much as my 21  ;) )
You'll really get the boat going with that!!  If it fitted into the racing classes, I'd buy one myself!  At £66 you can't go wrong.
Get it ordered, don't forget the flywheel, dump the slide carb and get an 8 - 8.5mm bore barrel carb from JustEngines.
Then get your smug grin ready  ;D
Danny

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2007, 09:10:52 pm »

omra

I am also looking to get a proper pertrol/ic boat and have been looking at a nimrif makara and or the bonzi 51 baja.

Can you recommend any for a start, i would prefer to stick to the cats, do you know any suppliers, the Guisse looks nice but not sure about the price. I want to stick wiyh a single engine?

Regards

Simon
Rubbin is Racin!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2007, 10:42:20 pm »

Before you spend too much money Simon, first things first;

1. What fuel are you using? Is it the recommended fuel?
2. Are you sure the engine is tuned properly?
3. Are you sure the drive line is completely free and not binding anywhere? If it fully lubricated?
4. Have you tried different props?
5. Has / is the engine run in properly?
6. Is the the drive skeg / strudder adjustable? Have you tried different angles and depths?

I had load of problems with my Graupner Arrow and in the end, it turned out to be a prop size selection problem!
Have a look at - Graupner Arrow Build

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2007, 11:19:50 pm »

Get the sts nova rosi engine that is one mean motor as said,it was tested beyond belief and kept running when other engines would have melted!!.at 66 quid its a bargeain and i bet it will run faster than the os engine too.id also check your drive line and strut angle also not to mention your prop.is it balanced? sharpened? if not it needs to be.140 quid for an os 30 or 60 quid for the sts hmmm i know which one id go for lol.yer mate wont know what hit him .Simon instead of wasting yer money on a rtr why not build one? i have some nice cat plans for a gas motor if your interested?.did you check out my deep v build yet?.

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2007, 07:46:37 am »

Martin,

Thanks for your advise, i spent most of the afternoon on Saturday going through everything in search of speed. In answer to your questions, and i hope i have not missed anything:
1. She is running n 25% fuel, it is the recommended and the best one i could find, i have tried a couple of others in my buggy.
2. The engine is tuned, by me. I was happy with the performance of the boat when she was on her own. But next to the other bigger engined mono hull seems slow know. I believe she is at scale speed.
3. I have had her all apart and all is clear and greased in the drive line, i would prefer to have bearings on the tube, but at the moment the factory standard is brass collets.
4. I bought a couple of props from the prop shop and did muck about with them and some other ones that my mate had but she still seems to run faster on the stock one.
5. The engine was run in a few weeks ago and is not tight.
6. I played around with the trim tabs and the skeg, she was cavutating to begin with but with adjustments i think she is at her maximum speed.

I have googled videos of similat c1 cats and they all seem about same, i just need more power Scottie!

I have assumed that i am getting the best out of what i got. I will have a look at your build later.

Thanks
Rubbin is Racin!

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2007, 07:47:17 am »

Martno1fan,

I have ordered the sts engine and would love a set of plans for the cat.

Thanks

Simon
Rubbin is Racin!

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2007, 12:14:10 pm »

Martno1fan,

I have ordered the sts engine and would love a set of plans for the cat.

Thanks

Simon
good on yaa mate you wont be disapointed im sure i was thinking of one myself for my old boat before i decided on the big mono im now building.pm me with your email and ill get you some plans sent over.its a 4 ft cat i think so will need a zen or similar to get her up to speed!!.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2007, 01:07:03 pm »

Can you post a link to the video please?

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Upgrade Help Needed
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2007, 02:29:27 pm »

Hi Martin,

Your wish is my command. Oh great one!

Never done this before so fingers crossed.

http://video.google.co.uk/videosearch?q=kyosho+c1

I will try and get some video of mine this weekend, then i need guidance on how to get it on the site.

Regards

Simon
Rubbin is Racin!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2007, 06:56:34 pm »

Sounds like it needs a tuned pipe!
(Was the other unseen noisey boat any good?!?)

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2007, 08:54:02 pm »

As well as a bigger engine!

Just noticed that the skeg is mounted too high, need to re do that me thinks. Get the hull up and out of the water.

Regards
Rubbin is Racin!

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2007, 09:18:46 pm »

Finally got my new STS 0.28 engine from the far east! Did not come with a flywheel and i have had a nightmare finding a commercially available version.

Gave up and got a local engineering company to make me one. Tried to bench test/run in without one and it was a nightmare. Fitted the new flywheel this evening and ran a tank of 16 through her very rich and she is purring.

Another hour in the morning running her in and then into the cat and off to the lake, Sweeeeet! Then the tuning fun starts!

Totally hooked by fast petrol/ic boats so ordered a Makara from Nimrif Models, due Tuesday.

Have joined OMRA and going to have a go at the racing scene.

Pics to follow.

Regards

Simon

;D ;D ;D ;D
Rubbin is Racin!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 22 queries.