Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: BARCLAYS BANK  (Read 9925 times)

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: BARCLAYS BANK
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2011, 08:17:32 pm »

OK, I'll accept that the annointed plebs have proven themselves just as corrupt as their wealthier counterparts, but surely simple lack of wealth (be it Land, Cash  or Influence) shouldn't be a barrier to becoming an MP. So, to my mind, "unpaid" MPs is a non starter.

Lack of wealth (be it Land, Cash  or Influence) IS a barrier to becoming an MP. Without at least one of those (and preferably two) you won't get to first base.

There's a lot to be said for picking MPs from the landed gentry. In spite of the above implication, they are rarely corrupt and very difficult to bribe, since they already have a very acceptable default living on their estates. If you want to influence/corrupt someone, be in charge of where they get their wealth...

The problem with being governed by the aristocracy was never corruption, but incompetence. The British aristocracy were not famous for intelligence at the best of times, and would be likely to spend much of a debate asleep. Still, given the plethora of recent laws on every subject, none of which work, I think we are due a little rest from government....   

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2011, 09:14:55 pm »

...the wheat needs sorting from the chaff... bring back Oliver Cromwell :-)) :} O0

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2011, 09:21:57 pm »

One thing missed so far is the "career politician".
Out of Redbridge to a researcher, from there to an "adviser" to "parachuted" into a safe constituency.
Most of todays politicians haven't done an honest days work in their lives.
With the present cabinet containing 18 millionairs, (mostly inherited wealth), how can the understand the "average" voter.
All parties the main parties are guilty of this.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2011, 06:40:13 am »

Maybe Monty Python had the right Idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2011, 10:10:27 am »

One thing missed so far is the "career politician".
Out of Redbridge to a researcher, from there to an "adviser" to "parachuted" into a safe constituency.
Most of todays politicians haven't done an honest days work in their lives.

You see this very clearly in their lack of coherent policies. 50 years ago you went into politics because you believed in something, and you argued for it to try to convince an electorate.

Now you go into politics as a career, and you employ a focus group to help you tell the electorate what you think they want to hear. Since the focus groups are all chosen by the same few polling companies, the net result is that all 'politicians' have a similar line on every subject, and are reduced to calling each other names for want of anything else to say...

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2011, 05:58:20 pm »

Formally paid or not, I think that uncorrupt politicians are, and always have been less numerous than unicorns.  Its just that the landed gentry, far from being incorruptible, tended to peddle their corruption at a level that few could imagine.  The paid ones just don't have the same level of imagination.  They just think in terms of money, the unpaid old timers were in it to ensure that their family holdings, fortune and status increased at least mightily, preferably exponentially.  It wasn't about the pay, it was about being in the right place to ensure that wealth came to you and yours.  Think in terms of a transport minister having a major construction company in his portfolio when, say, the nation was embarking on motorway construction.
Then have a read of Samuel Pepy's diary.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2011, 06:33:58 pm »

Malcolm, I believe that's what is called "looking after ones own". A natural human trait. Probably the little stem-cell that began the Trade Union movement. High principles indeed, but just look around you now. With only one or two exceptions (Jimmy Reed comes to mind) the modern Union Barons seem more interested in lining their own pockets (or becoming an MP) than both ensuring the prosperity of their members and helping the companies their members work for to be succesful. Two recent court cases seem to bear me out....as does the high priest of "class warfare", now preferring to be called "Lord" Prescott. Lions and Donkeys still exixt I'm afraid. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2011, 07:21:43 pm »

Dear All,

This is an interesting discussion.

I think the 'principal' of taking Politics out of Govt. (as I mentioned prev.), would take +/- 50% of the corruption out of National Govt. - it would at least remove the Party 'funding' & 'influencing' concept.

MP's would vote for any Cabinet, and Cabinet members would be able to be removed in just as swift a manner by MP's for lack of performance, as the MP's themselves by their Constituents.

As to landed gentry, well, look, there aren't that many in the 'real' category meaning as there were. There are the Westminsters', and Devonshires', and, to be honest, any landed gentry who can keep their Estates together these days must be pretty clued up one way and another.

Just a few ideas.

Regards, Bernard

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2011, 08:50:09 pm »

Although it is interesting to consider amendments to our political system which might improve it, I fear we are approaching it from the wrong end.

As a country, we voted for this lot. We have got the politicians we deserve. I suspect we will not achieve anything better until we have voters who can see further than the end of their own noses. That usually requires a decent education, and what we are reaping now are the fruits of ruining our education system in the 1960s and 1970s...

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2011, 12:41:34 pm »

... or something like Egypt!

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2011, 08:09:33 pm »

When all the three main political parties are about the same, moral wise. It is difficult to as a one vote person to bring about any change.
Proportional representation would at least bring about my vote possibly being of use. The parliament could decend into total disarray.
But the system woks in other countries. John.

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2011, 09:05:08 pm »

When all the three main political parties are about the same, moral wise.

It's worse than that, Jim! They are all the same policy-wise as well. So you get the illusion of choice, but no real choice in practice...

But the system woks in other countries. John.

Um.. So does dictatorship, communism, and all points in between. All systems work in some way, even the Italian one %% %%. The question is, what kind of a country do they create, and is that the kind of country we want...?

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2011, 09:13:50 pm »

Bryan,
So glad that all human ills are down to Trade Unions.
Still "none so blind that WILL not see" or even research the "Modern Trade Union Movement"
Jimmy Reid, Red Clydeside, oh come on, at least try and get into the right century.
Or is the jailing of ex-MP's far to modern and way too far from TU's.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2011, 09:15:33 pm »

Agree. But how do we actually improve? Barclays is just one example. What can in reality be done to get an honest trustworthy
political party of any kind? Greed avarice vanity etc always comes to the fore. John.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2011, 09:18:43 pm »

Split the banks into "High Street" and Investment.
Without the ties to the safe operation if an investment bank folds the only ones hurt are the investors.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Dekan

« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2011, 09:46:11 am »

Wont happen.. DC and co. owned by the banks... So it will be lots of hot air as usual and big bonus's all round.. To paraphrase  the well known Guardian cartoonist Steve Bell..."Intercourse the Public"  

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2011, 04:36:20 pm »

Bryan,
So glad that all human ills are down to Trade Unions.
Still "none so blind that WILL not see" or even research the "Modern Trade Union Movement"
Jimmy Reid, Red Clydeside, oh come on, at least try and get into the right century.
Or is the jailing of ex-MP's far to modern and way too far from TU's.

Bob
Please don't quote me out of context. I never said that the Trade Unions were solely responsible for our woes.....but having said that, I do wonder.
The BA strikes while the union boss flies away on holiday? Criminal behaviour by some members of the GPO staff that instead of being sacked provokes the threat of strike action?
O
OK
Notes from a simple seaman

Dekan

« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2011, 04:56:53 pm »

Unfortunately our unions are still run by labour party wannabes firmly rooted in the 60's, who's communication skills  leave a lot to be desired :}

Their complete incompetence manages to to make the actions of the bosses appear reasonable :((

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2011, 05:18:55 pm »

We don't have a Labour Party, it is a centre party with yearnings to become fully Conservative.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Dekan

« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2011, 05:42:11 pm »

We don't have a Labour Party, it is a centre party with yearnings to become fully Conservative.

Bob
The center of the Right  :}

Lord Bungle

« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2011, 01:53:13 pm »

think you will find they are NEW Labour. as Mrs T managed to destroy the country and its industry To Labour at a Job these days normally means asking if you want fries or ringing up people to sell them double glazing or Manning a help desk (if it hasn't gone to some 3rd world country where they will work 90 hours a week for a pittance)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2011, 02:38:48 pm »

'Help' Desk?
Trade Description Act springs to mind  >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2011, 03:11:07 pm »

The distinction between Labour and Conservative is purely historic, and does not require a member of either party to be Left or Right wing. You can easily be a left-wing Conservative or a right-wing Labourite, though of course there is a strong tendency for Conservatives to be right-wing, and vice-versa.

The terms 'left' and 'right' refer to a person's attitude faced with the necessity to make a political choice between Freedom and Equality. These are typically at two ends of the see-saw - if you allow a society perfect freedom it rapidly becomes very unequal, while if you want to achieve a society where all are precisely equal, you usually need to suppress personal freedom quite severely. Most people would aim for a balance of these conflicting aims - if your view of the balance favours Equality over Freedom you are politically to the left, while someone who believes that Freedom is more important than Equality is a right-winger.

All of our governments now seem to feel that our lives need detailed interference, which tends to be a feature of left-wing government, but I cannot see any great improvement in equality. I conclude that neither party is that fussed about political theory, and simply wants to remain in power and give all their friends a job.... 

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2011, 06:01:35 am »

'Help' Desk?
Trade Description Act springs to mind  >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

Ned

Its all down to performance figures

But at of the end of the day there is only two KPI's (Key performance indicator) that count

1 is it fixed?
2 is the customer happy?

Any others that detract from these two are a bad thing
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.