Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: USS Hibbard - a (slow) build log  (Read 23808 times)

GG

Re: USS Hibbard - a (slow) build log
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2011, 11:03:03 am »

AlisterL,
 Have been watching your build with some interest, its good that you took the opportunity to modify and personalise the model rather than slavishly copy the published plan.
As Derek Warner says, all warships roll in real life and this is no problem provided they return upright!  The original model sails in much the same way and smooth operation of the controls keeps rolling to a minimum.
Glynn Guest

AndrewB

« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2011, 11:18:19 am »

Nice build Alister :-))

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2011, 12:43:42 pm »

Thanks for the comments Gentlemen - and Glynn in particular. I confess I was wondering just a little bit what you made of my superstructure, and was worried that I'd make a mess of it quite frankly, but it seems to have turned out OK!

It's not quite done yet, so a few more details will be added over the next couple of weeks or so.
Alister

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2011, 03:06:28 am »

Another video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XsiFIXtazU

Added some deck hatches  - again more to be added. Temps have been really low, so not much opportunity for painting stuff on week nights...
Alister

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
Radar
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2011, 02:16:32 am »

Radar! Only the one however and this will go on the aft superstructure.
Base is 040 plastic and the dish is 010. The rod is slightly more than 1mm brass... I shaped the disk by hitting (with a hammer) the handle end of a screwdriver into a piece of balsa, sitting the plastic into the curve and then alternately heating it with a hot air gun and pressing down on it with the screwdriver handle. 010 plastic when over heated curls up... The pointy bit is the end of a tooth-pick!

Warm enough to do some paint today too. Just working on these small bits now.
Alister

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2011, 06:17:39 am »

Radar - actually it's a satellite dish - is now on and it seems that the satellite is really low to the horizon...

I felt I needed to add a helicopter to the landing pad - but I couldn't find an appropriately Navy kit. At least the one I have is in the correct scale!

I'm kind of amused by that :)

The only remaining items I'm planning on adding are 4 inflatable life rafts - these are under construction now. With any luck I'll be done over the weekend.
Alister

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2011, 11:10:48 pm »

Needless to say these were not done over that weekend - it was too cold to paint unfortunately. I've also had other commitments that have lead to this delay in updating.

The liferafts are 8mm dowel with 1mm wide strips of .020" plasticard CA'd on at appropriate places. It works for me.

You may also note the grey filler on the hull. In transporting the Hibbard and the Zwarte Zee to the club static competition I discovered that, without the fitted mat in the boot of our car, the models slide around - I've not done this previously and never gave it a thought (the mat was removed as we were using the 3rd row of seats). Unfortunately, the Zwarte Zee moved, fell over and the top of the fore-mast punched into the Hibbard and made a wee bit of a dent, before breaking off. Bother... Lesson learned. Boxes will shortly be constructed to house and transport the models.

I will also be putting a number on the Hibbard - 75 as this is my club membership number, even though it relates to an existing Arleigh-Burke class DDG. I doubt anyone will mind.
Alister

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2011, 04:39:08 am »

And here we are with the number:

And that, I think, is that - all done.

The model sails very very well, and I can highly recommend this type to anyone who wants to give it a go. Someone with more time on their hands would be able to get it done much quicker than I did as this really was easy to build - it was only my foray into personalising the Hibbard a bit that complicated it for me. I think I should have stuck with some of Glynn's designs, for example the CIWS's, rather than go for my own, but I made that choice myself and must live with it. On the other hand I like my version of the superstructure a bit better than what was on the plan - sorry Glynn! :)

Many thanks to all those who commented - I really appreciated it. It's nice to know people are watching.

Now I need to resurrect a another build thread...
Alister

The long Build

« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2011, 01:45:22 pm »

Have been following this thread as it has gone along, Great Build, Really clear pictures and nice video to go with it, I think this could be worthy for putting in the Masterclass thread as a Nice easy Build.  :-))

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2011, 09:26:12 am »

LOL - I doubt it - but thanks for suggesting :)
Alister

boaterbill

« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2011, 07:57:52 am »

A very nice build. I learned from seeing how you installed your prop shaft tube and your rudder tube. Your build demonstrated that an operating model boat need not be complicated or that challenging to construct. Well done.

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2012, 10:00:37 pm »

I was told yesterday via PM that the DraftIT drawing I had done for the superstructure wouldn't open in DraftIT when downloaded, so I checked and indeed it failed to open - thanks Will for letting me know.
As a couple of people tried to download it, I have come up with another method for hosting the file. Anyone who wants to have a look can download it from the following link, and thanks again to Will, we know it works:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B209xZxYK7f5d1oyLU9SelhULWEwX2JOLTZieGlqZw
Alister
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.