Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Foam Board  (Read 1848 times)

Lord Bungle

Foam Board
« on: February 09, 2011, 01:20:04 pm »

Does anyone on here or Has anyone on here used Foam Board for modeling? a friend uses it for his warhammer 40k stuff and has sent me the link to the place he gets it from, the Prices seem to be quite low, and as I know people have made working models out of paper I suppose the waterproofing of it should be the same.

Anyway here is the link.
http://www.foamboard-store.co.uk/acatalog/White-Foamboard.html

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Foam Board
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 08:40:27 pm »

It's used a lot for architectural models and railway modelling...

Should be good for superstructure as it's light - treat it like card and seal with acrylic?

Lord Bungle

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 02:30:35 am »

thats what I was thinking, but I seem to recall a post on here about an ebay model kit made out of a foam board like substance. very light model that flew

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 08:27:20 am »

That would be depron- which has become (more-or-less) the standard material for r/c planes

Depron is expanded polystyrene (eps) foam which has a thin skin on each side of the sheet - if you cut you own sheets of eps it does not have the skin

depron available from 0.5mm ro about 12mm thickness - naturally the thinner the sheet the stiffer and heavier (more skin, less foam) 

Foamboard is effectively depron which has paper bonded to both sides. 
BTW - it can be gently bent if the paper is removed or softened (soak with warm water) and will hold the bend

As you say it can be waterproofed with acrylic or polyurethane  - or emulsion paint, or acrylic paints etc

andrew

Lord Bungle

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 10:12:56 am »

Thats the stuff :)
might order some sheets of 3mm as thats the thinest they offer and have a play  :-)
then again I might pull my finger out and start on some of the other projects I have instead  {-)

promocean

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 11:59:27 am »

Just saw this thread and can say, that a friend of mine and me have done a very big motorboat from 3 and 6mm Depron last year. The building and result can be seen at DMAX in TV (March 29.2011-20.15h-Die Modellbauer).
It is an very interesting material to build with and when you do a sandwich glass-Depron-polyurethan/resin, it will be stiff enough.
Here you can see all pictures from building our 1550 x 450mm model of a semi scale Maxidolphin 61 Power:
https://picasaweb.google.com/ErnstBahn/ProjektDepronInspiration#

Ernst

steve pickstock

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 12:18:25 pm »

A good place to get foam board is your local supermarket. They use it for those signs that hang over aisles. The sheets are generally bigger and when they're getting rid they will generally give it away for free.

Lord Bungle

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 12:21:12 pm »

Ernst that is a stunning boat,

nhp651

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 12:46:04 pm »

Does anyone on here or Has anyone on here used Foam Board for modeling?

RATHIKRISHNA HAS,  {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

http://www.justgiving.com/lochnessscalesail

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 01:41:41 pm »

One of the American warship kit manufacturers uses this for the superstructure in their kits. they also show how to use it on their website and no, don't ask, All zimmers again.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.