Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Guy  (Read 1892 times)

geoffkemp

New Guy
« on: February 10, 2011, 08:35:37 am »

Hey,

Just started with RC boats, after getting one for Christmas.  I have a CC Lee Victory.  Grown up around models, my dad had a model railway in the loft at their place, and I`ve also been into table top wargaming since I was 13. 

Got a couple questions to begin with;

Firstly, looking on the internet and I notice that some model boating lakes require model boat insurance?  I can appreciate if you are spending £500 pounds plus but would this really necessary for me?

Secondly regarding the boat I have, the instructions are "poorly" translated into English, almost to the point of being comical, with regards to maintenance.  It makes some mention of oil, I assume as a lubricant, and points as to a good product?

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: New Guy
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 08:58:11 am »

Hi Geoff

Welcome aboard.

The boat insurance is not to cover your boat, but any damage you do to a third party.

You should be careful where you use oil as strictly speaking you should not allow oil to get into the boating lake. Silicone grease is an alternative for prop shafts etc.

Keep asking the questions, we are here to help. :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Roadrunner

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 09:15:24 am »

Welcome.

Dicky's right, insurance is 3rd party liability, have you though of joining a local model club?, they will have insurance already as well as providing local help during your build as well as opening the doors to other events you can take part in instead of solo sailing.

There are many greases on the market that do similar jobs, Real boat shaft grease is what i use, black and sticky but its does the job great. but others have used as Dicky suggests silicone grease, i have seen others use vaseline and other water based lubricants, but the water based ones will need replacing basically after every run.

As Dicky say's keep asking and we will keep helping  :-))

john44

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 01:16:14 pm »

Hi Goeff,
I agree with what the above have stated, You asked about oil/grease but did not say if your boat has an oiler tube
or nipple fitted. If it has,nt you will have to remove the shaft fill the tube with grease and re-install the shaft.

You will find this forum helpful and friendly,

welcome aboard.

geoffkemp

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 04:48:47 pm »

Hi guys,

I want to say thanks for the welcome

reading your comments, should have made myself cleared, by oil I meant the act of lubrication to keep it running smooth. 

However have another problem after taking it out, in a moment of madness I manged to use the wall of the boating pond as a break, as such now I damaged the "nose" (sorry for the aircraft term) with a bit of a hole and the top coming away from the hull.  The plastic itself looks like the same stuff that airfix kits are made from, judging by the way the "tail" has been attached, ie melted together.  I have some polysterene cement to do the work with, however what to do with the hole?

Roadrunner

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 05:03:14 pm »

p38 (body filler) then sand to shape if the holes not to big, if its larger then say a 5p balsa block would be better to create the basic shape, glue it on with an expoy resin glue then just cover with p38 and sand to smooth out to a perfect finish ready for a bit of paint.

ABS (plastic) hulls are prone to showing knocks badly, use caution next time to reduce the risk of damage to these types of hull's.

the 'nose of the boat' is named the BOW, and the back end the STERN for your future reference.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.