Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speedline kits, opinions please?  (Read 3936 times)

RyanB

Speedline kits, opinions please?
« on: February 10, 2011, 10:56:12 pm »

Thinking long and hard about a speedline kit. wanted tomknownwhat the pros and cons are? I have my slipway Trent which is priceless to me but thing of an new addition to the fleet!

nhp651

Re: Speedline kits, opinions please?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 11:14:36 pm »

well, i have a 1;12 trent and a 1;12 severn sat on shelves waiting to be built, and have had in my possession in the past another 1;12 trent and a 1;12 tamar that i have sold when hard up, so i think they are nice models, excellent quality, and i've never had any problems with either the models or the supplier, Adrian, BUT, others have.

there are very few instructions with them, if any at times, and they are an experienced modellers build.expensive and frustrating to build, but have a presence that no other lifeboat kit has.
and to put it bluntly you pay out your dosh and take yer chance, but i for one wouldn't be without mine.
there is one for sale at the mo on ebay.....a good buy at the price....look here.........it's not mine by the way, and have no idea who's it is before anyone accuses me of putting a link to my own model.
neil.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230582674966&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://www.justgiving.com/lochnessscalesail

RyanB

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 11:34:56 pm »

I've seen that one neil, it's far too big for me though, I'm after the 1/16.
I've heard so many different things about them but always bee courious! One thing I am interested I is how to paint the Perspex.
Thank you for your opinion, much appreciated!

john44

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 10:40:35 am »

I have a Speedline Trent, as stated above these models are for experienced builders only. They lack proper step by step build
instructions as you get with the Model Slipway products. You may also have to send for the plans from Poole and then have them
enlarged to 1/12 scale in order to build the rails etc.

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 03:04:41 pm »

These should be considered semi kits for the experienced modeller. Instructions are minimal and rely heavily on multiple skills. You will almost certainly need plans from RNLI and hundreds of photos of the actual boat you are going to build. Dave.

RMH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 03:48:23 pm »

I have a 1/12 Severn waiting in the build queue. I agree that they are not a kit for the inexperienced but they do make up into superb models. There is some info on how on build them the best is probably the modelboats special on the Severn. Can anyone give some contact details at the RNLI to obtain some plans?

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 05:01:25 pm »

Hi there, the RNLI contact for plans and info for modellers is Louise Chapman, she's based in Poole. Plans for the Severn come on 3 large sheets at 1/20 scale and cost around £20-£25 including postage. Dave.  :-))

Louise Chapman@rnli.org.uk

RNLI Poole:  01202 663276

RMH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 06:14:13 pm »

Thanks for the details Number 6 I guess I'll have to order some now, I've only had the kit about 3 years!

john44

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 08:54:59 pm »

Hi RMH,  which 3 tears are you referring to , the last 3,or the  3 before that ??? {-) {-) {-) {-)

RyanB

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 09:16:06 pm »

So many mixed views, I understand that they are complex but thats what I want, the plans are my main concerns but thanks to number 6 this has now been resolved. I do understand that speedline will print the plans off for you for a "fee"!

Lets see if my deal pays off.

Thanks for all your input guys, appreciate it.

Keep the comments coming.....

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 09:35:26 pm »

Mr Speedline will possibly charge more for plans than the RNLI, and all payments to RNLI go to their cause, not lining someone elses pockets? Why not put a post in wants'n'swaps, somebody may have a set of plans they no longer need. Worth a try.
Have you seen Phil Locke's website? Lots of useful info on there too. Cheers, Dave.  :-))

http://www.philsrcmodels.co.uk/

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 09:53:16 pm »

Forgot to mention that there was a build feature on the 1/16 Severn in the Model Boats Winter Special 2009. This is still available at My Hobby Store for £4.95. Check out the link below. The 1/12 Severn was featured in the 2007 Winter Special, this is no longer available but I have an original copy and could get it copied. Cheers, Dave.  :-))

http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/product/23961/model-boats-magazine-winter-2009

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 11:31:39 pm »

Bit surprised at some of the comments regarding speedline.

While its probably correct these models are not for the novice builder, I dont see them as being just for 'expert' builders either. If you've built a couple of decent models and have an eye for detail, they shouldnt be beyond most people.

And, there are instructions available for some of the kits. OK not blow by blow instructions but then again, not all MSW (who make excellent kits too) kits come with blow by blow instructions either.

The 16th severn has instructions which are available on the site as does the Tamar.

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 07:55:58 am »

Bit surprised at some of the comments regarding speedline.

While its probably correct these models are not for the novice builder, I dont see them as being just for 'expert' builders either. If you've built a couple of decent models and have an eye for detail, they shouldnt be beyond most people.

And, there are instructions available for some of the kits. OK not blow by blow instructions but then again, not all MSW (who make excellent kits too) kits come with blow by blow instructions either.

The 16th severn has instructions which are available on the site as does the Tamar.

The Tamar does not have full instructions, they show all the hull detail and parts of the superstructure,  no drawings as of yet for handrail detail, mast array etc.....

Russ
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.