Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ring net fishing boat - identification needed  (Read 6969 times)

IainS

Ring net fishing boat - identification needed
« on: February 12, 2011, 02:06:41 pm »

Burntisland Heritage Trust have been given a collection of five model boats, which we hope to display in Burntisland Heritage Centre during our summer exhibitions. One is a clipper, three are fishing boats, and the fifth is a yacht. They were made by a Burntisland man, George Aitken,  who died recently.

I've got the job of putting together brief descriptions of the boats. I've done four of them, and I'm looking for help with the fifth, which is a fishing boat. Below are photos of the boat. She appears to be a Scottish ring net fishing boat, perhaps from about the 1930s. One thing that puzzles me is the small sail at the stern. I've got lots of photos of west coast ring net boats, but none with that sail.

George appears to have used proper plans for the boats he modelled, so maybe someone will be familiar with the plans for this boat.

For interest, the other models are the clipper 'Ariel'; fishing boats 'Muirneag' and 'True Vine'; and a wishbone schooner, the 'Argus'. We identified the wishbone schooner with the help of members of the 'Yachts and Sail' forum here!

Any assistance will be much appreciated!

Just while I'm here, some of you might be interested in photos of an exhibition we arranged last year. 'Burntisland 1883' featured models of ships of the period, including the world's first roll-on-roll-off ferry, a passenger ferry and a dredger. Please use the icon on the left hand panel here to visit the Burntisland.Net website, and then select the top link on the right hand side of the home page.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Ring net fishing boat - identification needed
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 02:34:08 pm »

Hello again, this looks awfully like the fishing boat Helen from a kit. is it about 32 inches long?

It could also have been made from the Model Boat plan 'Eileen', also still available and almost identical.
Main power is electricf, For the model,  the aft sail; was for stabilising.
regards Roy

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 03:03:30 pm »

Quite a few of the Herring Ring net boats had a sail aft Ian but it wasn't used when they were fishing the ring net , it was used if they were working longlines ( as quite a few of them did between Herring seasons ) or to keep the boats head up to the wind if they were lying to their anchor.

The Betty BA65 was built in 1927 and you can see the aft mast without the sail fitted

The Rosehaugh INS246 was built in 1950 and has the sail aft but not being used for the winter Sprat fishing in the upper Moray Firth
Davie Tait,
Scotland

IainS

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 03:33:45 pm »

Many thanks again, Roy. I've just been along to the Heritage Centre to measure the length - 30 inches exactly.

And thanks also, Davie, for the helpful information about the sail.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.