Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deans HMS NUBIAN  (Read 6787 times)

deadbeat

Deans HMS NUBIAN
« on: February 12, 2011, 04:20:36 pm »

Just finished this model, ready for sea trials. Note the 1/96 Wasp which was cut down from Airfix's 1/72 Scout.

adam_goodin

Re: Deans HMS NUBIAN
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 07:59:26 pm »

Awesome build you have there.
 I have a half-finished HMS Zulu, the other Deans Tribal frigate. Well done on a superb build :-))

deadbeat

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 08:09:36 pm »

Thanks for that, i must admit I was very disappointed with the quality of the kit though.

adam_goodin

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 08:27:51 pm »

Measurements by any chance? I do understand what your talking about, unfortunately i didn't realise on certain cuts until i'd gone to far. Hence why she's been put on the back burner for other builds to progress. %)

Yarpie

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 08:46:15 pm »

Good detail there deadbeat, but be very careful of topweight on 1:96 scale Tribals.

My second kit build was a Deans Tribal, HMS ESKIMO, and discovered that all upper deck superstructure and fittings needed to be as light as possible if the true waterline was to be achieved.

Was fortunate to serve in two Tribal Class Frigates, ESKIMO and HMS MOHAWK.

Good luck with your sea trials. :-))

barryfoote

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 09:40:18 pm »

I built that kit 15 years ago and hated it. the worst kit I ever bought....Never again.. :police:

mikearace

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 10:44:17 pm »

Very nice.  I have built the same kit 8 years ago as Mohawk as my father was a Chief Stoker on her 67-70.  The kit was what I expected from Deans.  I have no complaints about the hull and fittings etc but the measurements on the printed plastic seem to be neither in metric or imperial.  They seemed to bee a different scale of measurement altogther and the 'instructions' were basic to say the least.   But it turned out okay.  Never had problems with top weight and getting her to the correct waterline but she is certainly lively in a hard turn at speed and gives the odd fright or two but she still stays upright.

deadbeat

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 12:08:36 pm »

I wanted to build Nubian as it was a Portsmouth built ships and I served my apprenticeship at Portsmouth Dockyard. I would have preferred to build Sirmar's HMS Andromeda as I saw her being built, launched and fitted out and knew every single compartment in her, but the signs of Sirmar's 'issues' were very apparent and I wasn't going to take the risk, it turned out to be a wise decision.

jinks8

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 01:55:42 pm »

have 2 deans one i built and the other was a part ex, built H.M.S Cossack the part ex is a mystery just can not find witch she is.Must admit the she is lively on the water and there quite often a sharp intake of berth from onlookers when i put it in to a fast turn as she leans  over grate  fun to sail

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 02:56:20 pm »

Cossack was a WW2 Tribal Destroyer
The others on here are the GP Frigates of the 60's
I joined Eskimo in 1962 when she was still building
At JS White's in Cowes.  Lovely ships.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 05:26:45 pm »

What a wonderful and succinct description of a model on the water!
I have a perfect mental picture of here on the water.

Nice one Jinks!   :-))

have 2 deans one i built and the other was a part ex, built H.M.S Cossack the part ex is a mystery just can not find witch she is.Must admit the she is lively on the water and there quite often a sharp intake of berth from onlookers when i put it in to a fast turn as she leans  over grate  fun to sail
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

deadbeat

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 11:57:31 am »

Having since run a series of basin trials (paddling pool) she was indeed lively, frighteningly so. So I decided to add more weight comprising four torpedo fishing weights placed as far apart athwartships as possible, with the longitudinal axis of the weights fore and aft and as low down as possible, placement fore and aft was by trial and error in the bath. The placement athwartships did the trick and she is now very stable. The weight I added was about 550 gms. She floated a bit lower but not as much as I expected, not enough to warrant repainting the boot topping. Then I realised why I had the problem in the first place. As a single screw ship all the weight, motor, battery, rc battery and receiver, esc were all on the centreline, there was very little athwarship stability. Placing the new weights athwartships as I did rectified the problem.

So for all beginners, when ballasting your boat consider weight distribution not only to get the boat down to the waterline evenly, but for longitudinal and athwartship stability. I should have known that from the beginning as my college qualifications are in Naval Architecture concentrating on warships, but that was 40 years ago. A lesson relearnt!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 23 queries.