Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HELP!!!! Fitting prop shaft  (Read 2971 times)

frankwild

HELP!!!! Fitting prop shaft
« on: February 13, 2011, 10:01:12 am »

hi Guy's
        I recently bought a pilot launch hull from Kingston mouldings with basic plans. I have managed to fit the rudders and they look fine My question is how do you fit the prop shaft with out making a mess of the hull?????
Look forward to your help
Thanks Paul

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: HELP!!!! Fitting prop shaft
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 11:23:55 am »

Have a look through this. CLICK HERE
It is for twin shafts and "A" frames but the theory is the same for a single shaft.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

nhp651

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 11:28:48 am »

carefully and with a goodly amount of filler, and look here at post 136, page 10     http://www.radiocontrolmodelboats.com/t721p135-clyde-class-70-lifeboat-build

it shows the area that needs to be taken out on a hull for the prop shaft to seat in at the right angle.. glue with two part epoxy................then just back fill to leve the hole in the hull, and on the inside of the hull with polyester filler ( car body filler)

neil.

http://www.justgiving.com/lochnessscalesail

Steampunk

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 11:38:37 am »

Hello Paul

I had a look at the model (it is a fibreglass hull with twin propellers, isn't it?) and think you could use the same method that I found worked well:

First, you need to work out where exactly the holes for the propshafts go, drill them and file them out to an oval shape, large enough so the shafts do not have to be forced to their later position, yet as tight as possible.

Then you can make two jigs from plywood, that hold the shafts in place while gluing. I hope these sketches say more than a thousand words:

The jigs have holes the same diameter as the propshaft (the actual shaft, not the pipes around them (what do you call those in english?)), so they can be fitted on the shaft and clamped to the "pipe" by the ring inside and the nut outside. The jigs with the propshafts between them are attached to the hull with adhesive tape (an alternative approch would be glue them onto a length of adhesive tape that's been stuck on the hull). Now the shafts should be held in place.

At this time it would be a good idea to test fit the engine, coupling and propellers to make sure there is enough clearance.

Finally, I felled the hole from the outside with Blue Tack to prevent any spillage of glue to the outside. As glue i used polyester body filler, but any sort of two-component resin should do.

Hope than helps, it did work well on my boat.

Peter

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 12:20:47 pm »

carefully and with a goodly amount of filler, and look here at post 136, page 10     http://www.radiocontrolmodelboats.com/t721p135-clyde-class-70-lifeboat-build

Link is of limited use. <:(
Pics worth 1000 words but no picks visible unless you register to acess them.

Can you post pics on this thread  O0 O0 O0

http://www.justgiving.com/lochnessscalesail

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 12:29:48 pm »

You could try joining. It costs nothing and is further information for us 'boaties'   ;)

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

frankwild

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 01:31:38 pm »

Hi Guy's
          Thanks for all your help and advice I'lll let you know how I get on.
           Thanks again.  Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 21 queries.