Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RTTL VOSPER  (Read 2930 times)

RTTL VOSPER
« on: February 13, 2011, 02:16:11 pm »

Hi all,.,.im new on here & found this site by chance,,As a boy living around the east london area my dad use to take me to hendon,,we was always lurking around the mighty vosper outside,.,.My dad was into model boats & use to take his to a lake in leytonstone,.called wansted lake,.also i remember going to victoria park in hackney to watch the model boats in one of the two swimming pools there.,They use to have a straight running contest which is where we first see two RTTL"s,.both sisters.,one being 2755 the other being either 2754 or 2756,These were 68 inches long,.,both had cycle master engines with a green water jacket around the barrel,.I remember him wanting one of them....
After some time 2755 turned up at wansted lake fitted out with  two channel Mc gregga push button system,The owners name i cant remember but he had a woolwich ferry he use to take over to the lake.,anyone remember him????,.Anyway i was two young to remember what deal was done but 2755 became ours! ,.,..,this was back in the mid 1970s.,,we bought a futaba from somwhere in hackney,.,.near victoria park.,.I still have it to this day,.still running the cycle master,.,.when times were hard& my lads didnt seem into them  around 5 yrs ago i put them both on ebay but after a few days pulled it off as i just coudnt sell it,.I also remember my dad wanting the HSL hants & dorset from the film the sea shall not have them & locating the bloke that made the hull for 2755,.a guy called eric allen in harlow essex,.anyway the build didnt happen & the new hull was sold to a frend who built a replica of the hendon RTTL-2757.,they fitted a jap engine but was never up to the job & with 2755 now looking worse for wear 2757 was re-engined with the cycle master from 2755.,,.i will post pics during the week of them both,.,.DOES anyone remember the straight running days over victoria park,.or does anyone know what happend to the sister of 2755.,,.?
These are 68 inches long,.somone somwhere must know...both had cycle master engines...

Wetwater

• Full Mayhemer
  • My mind often wanders. Once it left completely.
Re: RTTL VOSPER
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 09:21:59 pm »

Hi, 2755.

I remember seeing your boats on eBay.  I have a semi scale "Patrol Boat" for want of a better description,   which is also powered with a water cooled Cyclemaster.  Length about 66 inch.  Built by someone in the midlands but restored and altered / tarted up, by myself when I obtained it about 10 years ago.

Built as a straight runner and used as same by me for a while.  I have some photo's somewhere.  If I can
find them I will post on here.

Straight running still takes place at Victoria, plus other venue's including St Alban's, Welwyn Garden City and
Blackheath.   Steamboatphil ( Mayhem member ) who is into straight running MIGHT be able to help with
info on your boats.  He appears to be in hiding just now though.  Not made a sound on here for a while.

Eric Allen died between 12 - 15 years ago, if I remember correctly.

Alan.

Alan.

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 10:38:02 pm »

hi,,yes id like to see some pics,,.I remember going to eric allens home & every thing was made of fiberglass,..,cups,.plates,.chairs,table,,what a nice guy though,,he was only to keen to make my dad the second hull.....

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 07:30:36 pm »

cant upload them on here,,.give me your email & i will send some...

Wetwater

• Full Mayhemer
  • My mind often wanders. Once it left completely.
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 09:50:19 pm »

Hi, 2755.

I had forgotten that I was going to look for photo's of my Cyclemaster powered boat. ( See earlier post )  Anyway, now to hand.

All, except the engine close ups, are copy's of the original prints which were taken before I went digital, so might be a bit OFF.

The first few pics are before and during restoration, including a bit of alteration. Bridge screens, crew, raft etc.  The others are
 of the end result.  Last used for straight running about 6 years ago. 

Alan.

Alan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.