Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: My Smoke Generator build  (Read 13929 times)

Geoff Cropper

My Smoke Generator build
« on: February 13, 2011, 02:18:09 pm »

Hi Chaps,        Here's my simple to make Smoke generator.        I used about 7cms of NiChrome wire connected by metal connecters with the plastic cut off, to heavier wire (like the ones on your 6-12volt motor) .        I got a plastic box and computer fan and smoke fluid and the thingy that fits on the lid to let the smoke out, all from Maplins (Components section) quite cheap.     Then drill a hole  in  the box each side about 10mm from the top, just big enough for the thick wires in a snug fit (no sealing required)        Now take a piece of fibreglass tissue about 20cms long by 4cms wide and fold or roll it up to make the wick 4cms long and now wrap the NiChrome wire around the wick and position it so the wick touches the box bottom.         Put in some smoke fluid about 1/4 inch deep in the bottom making sure the wick is well soaked.        Test it by connecting it up to a 6volt 4amp SLA battery, it should start smoking as the hot wire burns the fluid on the wick.   I experimented with a few drops of linseed oil and a few drops of diesel fuel mixed in and it smokes a treat.         Put the fan at one end of the lid and mark and drill the bolt holes.       You will need to drill three or four larger holes in the lid, directly under the fan blades to let the air into the box.       Drill or cut a larger hole in the other end of the lid to take the pipe fitting which lets the air and smoke out up the funnel.        Screw the box lid down and connect the red and black fan wires to a pack of 8 AA batteries  (9.4volt tranny pack), connect the smoker wires any way round to the 6volt battery and you should get smoke pouring out the funnel pipe.         Thats it.      I'll put some piccies on of mine.       Regards Geoff.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: My Smoke Generator build
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 02:44:13 pm »

Very impressive, but plastic box, oil, wick, electric cables, sounds like the recipe for fire raising.  {:-{
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 02:49:45 pm »

Just look at the avatar Richard   %% %%

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Geoff Cropper

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 02:52:22 pm »

Fit a smoke alarm in your boat, simples {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)  regards Geoff.         PS.   If you see flames coming out the funnel, bring the boat in immediately.  O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 {-) {-) {-) {-)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 03:02:09 pm »

Seen the avatar Ned, one he made earlier ? {-)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Geoff Cropper

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 03:12:50 pm »

Heres more piccies,  can't see for flamin smoke.     There's a song there somewhere.     Geoff. {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Roadrunner

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 03:18:37 pm »

There's a song there somewhere.

Yup its 'Im A Fire Starter, Twisted Fire Starter!' Prodigy  %% {-)

triumphjon

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 04:46:41 pm »

it looks as if a sensible mod would be to have the plastic box inside a metal one , or a metal box with insulation around the cables ? what diameter of nickle chrome wire are you useing please ?

Geoff Cropper

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 05:51:00 pm »

Around 28swg NiChrome wire.     Experiment with different gauges by clipping the battery wires onto the resistance wire about 12 inches apart and slowly slide one clip towards the other clip until the wire starts heating up, dull red, bright red, orange.      If you go any closer it goes white and burns out.      As long as there is fluid in the tank, it won't catch fire.     Geoff.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 06:02:03 pm »

What sort of current does it draw Geoff?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Geoff Cropper

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 06:58:32 pm »

Hi,       I don't remember offhand, I didn't test it today, Iwas more concerned with different mixes of fluid.       As you know, the brighter the wire the more amps it uses.       Wire too dull, less amps but it won't burn the fluid so its a matter of getting a happy medium.       Not that they know much about it anyway. {-) {-) {-)      I'll get on it tomorrow Martin and let you know.  Regards Arsonman aka  Geoff

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 07:31:04 pm »

This is one way to produce smoke. The disadvantage is that it produces a sticky residue on the boat over a period of time. Also is
quite current hungry. Why not use a pond fogger/mister? On flea bay for less than £4 inc pnp.Yes they do require  24v. This can be
supplyed by a dc step up board. !2v to 24v. under £20 built or plans on internet to build yourself. Im not that good. A box and small
Computer fan req. Fogger has to be submerged in water. By running step up board off your Esc a variable out put can be acheived.
To save money Mister can be run on 24v by series Batteries. MMb do sell a ready made unit but requires 24v. John.

ben hall

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 07:31:44 pm »

Very impressive, but plastic box, oil, wick, electric cables, sounds like the recipe for fire raising.  {:-{
i would be more scared of the fuel
booooooooooooooooom

it would make a pretty cool viewing for the public though   {-) {-) %% %%

triumphjon

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 07:39:16 pm »

its food for thought , a variation of fluids that produce differing styles of smoke will be usefull , as we all know a steam engine emits different smoke to that of diesel or petrol engines , also if you wanted to emulate an on board fire ?

Geoff Cropper

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 07:42:31 pm »

I just don't like the idea of the inside of my boat and electrics soaked in condensation, isn't that worse to clean up?        At least, smoke adds to the weathering effect. {:-{ {:-{ {:-{    Geoff.

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 07:49:51 pm »

Point taken about vapour but fog only comes out of chimmly. It does disperse more quickly than oil base smoke. So far model has
always remained dry . I beleive from previous threads that sadly there is no way to colour smoke to prduce a dark Diesal smoke

triumphjon

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2011, 08:08:56 pm »

what stops us putting a few drops of old engine oil into the mix ? will it make a difference weather you burn mineral or synthetic oil ? from following cars running on chip fat that gives off a blueish haze behind the car has anybody tried burning it yet

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2011, 08:23:07 pm »

May work has anyone tried this? John

john44

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, 09:48:23 pm »

chip fat and a hot wire? sounds like a recipe for disaster. {:-{ 

triumphjon

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 11:10:23 pm »

cant be any more of a problem than the diesel or liniseed oil mentioned at the start of this article ? after all we are all attempting to produce the correct colour smoke for our chosen model . it must be possible as air displays put a dye in to produce their smoke

Timo2

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2011, 09:37:26 am »

Hi All

Ref :- Smoker units ( Control Fire )

Please have a look at PDF file in this link

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3053173

Timo2

P.S.

Oil + Hot wire + Air = Fire = load of money    >>:-(

Geoff Cropper

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2011, 01:37:01 pm »

Hi Martin,      With reference to amps, I tested it this morning and it's drawing 3 amps.         The Hunter System smoker uses 2.5 amps I think.        A bit longer Nichrome wire would reduce the amps but also reduce the heat so less smoke.       Best if you contact that happy medium again. O0 O0 O0 {-) {-) {-)     Geoff.                 By the way, my smoker won't be on all the time, just when my tug is pulling or pushing hard and moving off from stopped,  it will be controlled by on/off switch from servo.                Geoff.       PS.  It might look a bit odd with blue or red smoke belching from the funnel.  {-) {-) {-) {-).

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2011, 08:30:15 pm »

My pond mister draws under 1 amp inc fan. John.

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2011, 10:37:18 pm »

I have tried baby oil, disco fog fluid. power steering oil, mineral oil, old engine oil, old diesel oil, soot particles, carbon particles, none have produced a darker coloured smoke, I think the nearest I have seen was the recent thread by the blokegirl rathi, using incense sticks stolen from the local temple :}

Geoff Cropper

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2011, 03:47:32 pm »

Great News,        I've finally discovered the ultimate smoke material.         It's clean, eco friendly, no smell, lasts ages, can be any colour you want, no hot wires, no switches req'd, running costs n/a.        As Rolf would say, "Can you guess what it is yet?"     Geoff.       PS.       LennuffopotniLoownottocdeydkcaLb.      {-) {-) {-) :-)) :-)) :-)) O0 O0 O0 %% %% %% >:-o >:-o
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 21 queries.