Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Smoke Generator build  (Read 13928 times)

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: My Smoke Generator build
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2011, 04:44:56 pm »

It may be easy to generate the smoke while the Nichrome wire is glowing red hot, but for the sake of safety  it may be better to increase the length of the wire till it stops glowing and is just hot, then drawing the liquid up via a wick material ( good luck finding one that lasts though, please post if you have any ideas. ). Most commercial smoke units from the little model railway ones upwards dont glow, and therefore draw less current. I can remember a members funnel smoke unit catching fire at Beale Park because it was running hot. I have tried Parafin, using the logic that that is pretty much what the Red Arrows inject into their hot exhausts, we tried the unit at the clubhouse and within 20 minutes decided to vacate the building due to the fumes, if you try parafin, may I suggest a hot, not glowing element ok2

Your coded suggestion is great for photographs and would certainly  fool me %% %%

Anyway from a veteran Pyromaniac to a beginner, may I just say 'enjoy the process, and keep a bucket of water to hand', Keep up the good work :-))
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Geoff Cropper

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2011, 05:52:29 pm »

Hi Guys,    I've been trying to fit the smoker into the superstructure today, the result doesn't seem too bad.       I'm going to fix a short piece of brass tube over the hole in the top as exhaust pipe.       I've got some video clips of the smoker but haven't a clue how to post them, any help please, anyway, here's the latest pics.        Geoff.

Roadrunner

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2011, 06:13:49 pm »

Upload vids to YouTube and link here via 'url'

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
    • Chasewater Model Boat Club
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2011, 09:55:18 pm »

If you guys are looking for a cheap n cheerful smoke unit, have a look at the 1/16th scale "hen long" tanks, you can get a smoke generator for the exhaust on these tanks. the actual generator is about 40mm square. takes ordinary smoke fluid, has a sealed box lid, held on by 4 phillips screws, and tank lasts about 15mins bnefore needing a refill.

Price of smoke unit, I bought mine off "flea bay" for £15 inc postage from hongy kongy, arrive din just on 10 days.  Fitted in my Sun Tug a treat.

Wiring? simply cut off the factory fitted connector and connect to a switched power supply, it runs happily off 7.2 volt, ok on 9.6 [so would accept a transmitter batt pack] but its a bit heavy on fuel when powered off 12v direct, not unless you step it down with a resistor.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.
Treasurer & Membership Secretary:  Chasewater Model Boat Club
http://chasewatermbc.blogspot.com/

Geoff Cropper

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2011, 08:51:25 am »

How about this for a smoking tugboat,eh.?      Black smoke, what black smoke?           Geoff C.

Geoff Cropper

« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2011, 09:34:45 pm »

Hi Everyone,      I've now put my vid's on you tube under - Lofty592.     Cheers,  Geoff.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2011, 10:04:40 am »

Very impressive.  Here's the site reference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqzNypPkNwI&feature=related

Well done Geoff

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 21 queries.