Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Serious Question - Royal Navy Flags, Sizes  (Read 6050 times)

soldier151

Serious Question - Royal Navy Flags, Sizes
« on: February 15, 2011, 12:46:04 am »

Hi Guys,
I am looking for the sizes of the Flags/Ensigns carried and flown by Royal Navy Craft.
With over 5.500 members out there some must know what size Ensign is flown by an MTB, by a Destoyer,
Cruiser, Battleship or Aircraft carrier.  They can;t all carry the same size.  If an MTB carried say a 4foot by 2 foot ensign, this would be totally lost on a Battleship.  There must be a standard issue size depending on the size of the ship.   I have searched the net and can't find anything stating the sizes issued to the various craft of the Royal Navy.  Your HELP is very much needed.
Thank you
Soldier151

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
Re: Serious Question - Royal Navy Flags, Sizes
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 06:40:53 am »

Geoff AKA Pugwash might have an answer being an ex-RN flag wagger :-))
Don't forget they also had Battle Ensigns which were four or five times the size of the
standard size plus different sizes for flying on ensign staffs and yardarms.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 07:59:20 am »

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

pugwash

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 09:53:39 am »

Chris the size of ensign and union jack was dictated by the type of ship and the day of the week.
Start with a boats ensign - it is a size 2 and measures 18 inches by 3 feet.  These measurements are correct because I've just measured the boats ensign in my den.
the white ensign is always one size bigger than the union jack flown  i.e. frigate/destroyer type would fly size 8 ensign and size 6 jack on weekdays and size 10 ensign and 8
jack on a sunday (in harbour)  A carrier would fly asize 10 ensign size 8 jack weekdays and size 12 ensign and size 10 jack (if not bigger - never served on carriers so not sure)
A size 8 ensign is 6 ft by 12 ft  so a 10 would be 7 1/2 ft by 15ft,  etc etc.  the sizes only go up in even numbers
If we were at sea we would only fly a size 4 or 6 as a sea ensign often flown from the masthead gaff (if fitted) or a stump mast  as shown on the attached photo
the ensign is just aft of the seacat director.

Geoff

soldier151

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 12:45:27 am »

Thanks Guys for your rapid responses, great to see that there are serious modellers out there.
Hope I can return the favour in the future
Regards Soldier151
A Lifeboat Freak
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.