Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sacked by email  (Read 2631 times)

richtea

Sacked by email
« on: February 15, 2011, 12:43:21 pm »

Soldiers serving in Afghanistan have been sacked by email.
what is happening to our once great country ?
The minister responsible for defence should be ashamed of this despicable act and resign immediately.
No doubt he will have someone else take the blame and carry on as if nothing wrong has occurred.
I despair.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Sacked by email
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 01:18:04 pm »

Yes, a despicable act, but, should the minister resign?  If he gave the instructions that led directly to the action, yes.  If a minion, seeking for his own advancement, used "initiative" as a replacement for good sense, no, let the fallout fall on his career.  A minister walks away from a problem, he has a good time for a few weeks, then gets another post after the next ministerial fowl-up while some other ignorant windbag gets to polish the ministerial chair with his trouser seat.  Make the swine stay put and sort the problem, preferably without pay until the problem is seen to be sorted.  Its called incentivisation, and sorting the mess in your own time, something that used to be common enough in real industry.
When a minister resigns, he doesn't have to make his way to the job centre like anybody in the real world, he doesn't have to seek re-election, he just hangs on, in the manner of a persistent dangleberry.
In the words of Ken Dodd, "By Jove, that feels better now!"
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

The long Build

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 01:22:03 pm »

Altought not to sure of the facts , If I Was serving on the Front Line and got told I was being made redundant I don't think I would carry on the risk to myself at getting shot at,.. What would they do , Court Martial Me !!. >>:-(

regiment

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 02:24:01 pm »

no shoot your self in your foot get sent home by caser vac  then claim for a pension

Roadrunner

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 02:59:42 pm »

Im not sure any of this would hold up under redundancy rules surly? its yet again another scandal of our poor government, perhaps we should take a leaf out of the Egyptians way of thinking and all go on a public protest/riot and force these 'dipsticks' out of office!

As the old saying goes 'A taxi driver knows more then an Mp on running the country', perhaps it time to give them a go, least they can't make things any worse!' 

richtea

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 03:19:25 pm »

Have just found out a little bit more information.
The emails were sent out to 38 serving warrant officers, of which one is on active service in Afghanistan.
Personally I still think it is disgusting that people who are willing to put their lives on the line
are treated in such a cavalier way.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 04:05:39 pm »

The only thing wrong with this is the way in which it was done.
These guys are all time served and are now on extended service
on a rolling yearly contract.
They have been given a years notice so no rules of employment laws breached.
Most of these guys would be the CO's right hand man so why could they have not
just been called in and had the situation explained personally.
Just as bad as the trainee pilots at Cranwell , told yesterday '50 of you are being discharged but we won't say who
until tomorrow' Its cost about 2 million each for thr training so far and they are just short of a few hours flying to gain their wings
and the we would have another 50 reservists.
The armed services have always been given short shrift by the pollys but words cannot describethe latest load of offal

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 04:27:52 pm »

The only thing wrong with this is the way in which it was done.
These guys are all time served and are now on extended service
on a rolling yearly contract.
They have been given a years notice so no rules of employment laws breached.
Most of these guys would be the CO's right hand man so why could they have not
just been called in and had the situation explained personally.
Just as bad as the trainee pilots at Cranwell , told yesterday '50 of you are being discharged but we won't say who
until tomorrow' Its cost about 2 million each for thr training so far and they are just short of a few hours flying to gain their wings
and the we would have another 50 reservists.
The armed services have always been given short shrift by the pollys but words cannot describethe latest load of offal

Ned
Small point Ned, it is £4 million for a fighter pilot and £2 million for a helicopter pilot.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 04:34:24 pm »

2 Million So Far Richard and that is before they get their Wings to go on to more advanced training

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 01:52:06 am »

This was unacceptable and avoidable, but the story broke in the Sun, not the most balanced of editorials. This is the usual media whipping up a story.

As Ned has said, they were all time served.
They had done their 22 years and were on a rolling contract.
They were not sacked, nor made redundant, they were told that they will be retired.
This is not forced early retirement, this is late retirement.

My personal experience.
Since 1995, with one exception, I have been employed by email and usually told of contract non-renewal by email.
And I cannot remember the last time I wrote a (hard copy) business letter.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 12:20:13 pm »

" Why contaminate a knee jerk reaction with sensibility and the true facts"

Awww Tiger, gonna have to call the lynch mob off and put the hangin' rope back in the shed again.  >>:-(

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Bee

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 02:26:10 pm »

Tens of thousands of people every year get only a month's notice, sometimes a week. Again ( as per regulations) huge number get 3 months notice of a review which might put them at risk. All perfectly normal and email is nowadays well accepted as the replacement for papermail.
Some people think it should only be by personal contact but have you stopped to think of the managers side of that. It can be very stressfull to have to give someone their cards. By making it a an anonymous notification the manager - staff relationship is preserved just when the support of the manager might be required.

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 02:33:29 pm »

Some people think it should only be by personal contact but have you stopped to think of the managers side of that. It can be very stressfull to have to give someone their cards. By making it a an anonymous notification the manager - staff relationship is preserved just when the support of the manager might be required.

Part of being a manager/boss is hiring and firing. If a manager can't perform this function then maybe his/her position should be the next to go.....

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 03:51:12 pm »

Some good points, and some knee jerk reactions...understandably. But apart from the crassness of the method used, a WO actually serving in a war-zone will naturally lose some drive and concentration (another word for "morale"?) which will reflect in the performance of his duties. Unless of course he has already requested "retirement", and this e-mail was really a confirmation. We don't know that bit. However, the Minister for Defence seems pretty annoyed about it all. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 01:04:15 am »

Part of being a manager/boss is hiring and firing. If a manager can't perform this function then maybe his/her position should be the next to go.....
Actually this is often not the case any more. If you are a small boss, you have to do the hiring and firing yourself. If you work for a larger organisation you have professionals do it for you.

The last three companies I worked for did not allow managers to do the hiring or firing. This was managed by the HR dept. especially the 'outplacement of staff'.
'Why so?' you may ask.
If people are wrongly hired, or dismissed, it leaves the doors open for accusations of wrongful dismissal. This can cause lots of problems for the manager and the company, as well as costing lots of money.

In one company I worked for, the Director improperly engaged people. In one case this led to allegations of racism, when the candidate was terminated. We were clearly not guilty, as we were a multi-racial office (Afro-Caribbean, Chinese, Bengali, Indian, Maltese, Russian, as well as UK nationals).
The legal advice was, although you would win the case would get in the papers and risk any future government contracts, at least until it was cleared up. The case could take two to three years and cost a fortune. Even when found not guitly the newspapers may not report this, but the reputational damage would stick. Even though all parties knew we were not guilty the company settled out of court.

In Shanghai we had a young manager hire the girl with the best legs. As a foreign company in China it is almost impossible to sack people. Once the girl passed her probationary period she was a liability.

Just two examples of why HR departments are needed.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.